Re: [soaplite] Re: Can the server process parameters by name?

    Message 1 of 26 , May 14, 2001
      Hi, Ashley!

      > > The only way I can see of solving this is to look for the
      > mandatory
      > > parameter names, and if you find any of them then assume the
      > > parameters have been passed by name. Ugh!
      >
      > Likewise.
      Right, and it seems to be general problem. I would like to include
      methods, so you don't need to implement it yourself, like
      paramsByOrder(@_), paramsByName(['a', 'b', 'c'], @_),
      paramsByNameOrOrder(['a', 'b', 'c'], @_), which is the same as
      paramsByName, but will also return parameters by order if there is NO
      ONE parameter with specified name.

      In your code you can decide do you want to continue if you have onle
      one parameter instead of three or die.

      Another option might be to add description to your method which says
      that "I'm accepting parameters with names, 'a', 'b' and 'c'", so SOAP
      processor will take care about passing parameters in this particular
      order, and you get them by-order, because they already arranged for
      you. Don't promise it in the next version, but I'm working on it.

      Best wishes, Paul.

      --- Ashley Clark <aclark@...> wrote:
      > * Chris Davies in "Re: Re: Can the server process parameters by
      > name?"
      > * dated 2001/05/14 14:42 wrote:
      >
      > > Unfortunately, it seems to me that your assumption (viz a SOAP
      > object
      > > implies named parameters) is incorrect. If you check the supplied
      > > parameters to the subroutine you'll find that, once you've done a
      > > "@ISA = qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters)", the parameter list will
      > always
      > > have a SOAP::SOM object at its end.
      >
      > Yes, that is correct. I only recently understood exactly what you
      > were
      > trying to do. Passing parameters by name is simply a requirement to
      > use
      > our objects, so if there is an SOM object at the end then I know it
      > is
      > either improperly formed (no named params) or contains the correct
      > list. I left out a little where I check for validity of parameters
      > passed, regardless of posit/name status.
      >
      > > The only way I can see of solving this is to look for the
      > mandatory
      > > parameter names, and if you find any of them then assume the
      > > parameters have been passed by name. Ugh!
      >
      > Likewise.
      >
      > --
      > really shack

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • Chris Davies
      Message 2 of 26 , May 14, 2001
        Actually that quote was from me, but no matter. Thanks for the update

        Regards,
        Chris

        Message 3 of 26 , May 14, 2001
          Hi, Chris!

          --- In soaplite@y..., "Chris Davies" <Chris.Davies@M...> wrote:
          > Is it reasonable to provide a procedure that can handle arguments
          > supplied either by name and by position?
          Truly only you can decide. How it happens usually: you write server
          and advertise methods and parameters, so everybody can use it. If
          your parameters have names, client should specify it in request. But,
          you can also ALLOW them to have a choice:
          1. You can call this method with NAMED parameters in ANY order or
          2. You can call this method with ORDERED parameters in SPECIFIED order

          Then all that you need to do is check for presence of NAMED
          parameters and if there is no single one (with names you're looking
          for), get them by-order. In my understanding you have three choices:
          by-order, by-name and by-name-or-by-order. You did it right, but I
          think it should be included in the library, so you don't need to
          duplicate this code in your methods. Does it answer your question?
          BTW, there is no consensus on soapbuilders list on should by-order
          parameters be allowed or not. I personally think they should, but I
          represent minority in this aspect :).

          Best wishes, Paul.

          P.S. as far as I understand there is no need to check for
          mandatory/optional parameters in paramByName.

          >I can see one way of implementing this:
          >
          > package ByNameOrPos;
          >
          > use strict;
          > use vars qw(@ISA);
          > @ISA = qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters);
          >
          > sub ParamsTest
          > {
          > my $self = shift @_; # Class
          > my $envelope = pop @_; # Envelope
          > my $argshash = $envelope->method; # Args by name
          > my ($fruit, $vegetable, $meat) = @_; # Args by pos
          >
          > # Check to see whether args have been passed by name
          > my ($byName, $missing) = (0, 0);
          > foreach my $mandatory (qw(fruit vegetable meat)) {
          > $byName = 1 if exists $argshash->{$mandatory};
          > $missing = 1 if not exists $argshash->{$mandatory};
          > }
          > $missing = 0 unless $byName;
          >
          > warn "byName=$byName, missing=$missing: fruit=$fruit,
          > vegetable=$vegetable, meat=$meat; self=$self, envelope=$envelope,
          > argshash=$argshash";
          >
          > my $byName = join (", ", map { "$_ => $argshash->{$_}" } sort
          keys
          > %$argshash);
          > my $byPosn = join (", ", @_);
          >
          > return "Given ($byName) by name and ($byPosn) by position." .
          > ' Args ' . ($byName ? 'passed by name' : 'probably passed by
          > position') . '.' .
          > ($missing ? ' Some mandatory parameters are missing.' : '');
          > }
          >
          > Is there a more reliable or more elegant technique that I can use
          instead of
          > this? For starters, my proposed solution breaks if there are no
          mandatory
          > parameters against which to check.
          >
          > For completeness, here's how I call this from SOAPsh.pl:
          >
          > > ParamsTest('apple', 'spinach', 'chicken')
          > --- SOAP RESULT ---
          > 'Given (c-gensym215 => apple, c-gensym217 => spinach, c-gensym219 =>
          > chicken) by name and (apple, spinach, chicken) by position. Args
          passed by
          > name.'
          >

          > ParamsTest(SOAP::Data->name(meat=>'beef'),SOAP::Data->name
          (fruit=>'apricot')
          > ,SOAP::Data->name(vegetable=>'carrot'))
          > --- SOAP RESULT ---
          > 'Given (fruit => apricot, meat => beef, vegetable => carrot) by
          name and
          > (beef, apricot, carrot) by position. Args passed by name.'
          >

          > ParamsTest(SOAP::Data->name(meat=>'beef'),SOAP::Data->name
          (fruit=>'apricot')
          > )
          > --- SOAP RESULT ---
          > 'Given (fruit => apricot, meat => beef) by name and (beef, apricot)
          by
          > position. Args passed by name. Some mandatory parameters are
          missing.'

          > I also would expect to have to massage the provided parameter names
          if
          > something like MS .NET were to call this procedure with arguments
          by name,
          > but in the interests of simplicity I'm ignoring that for now.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Chris
        • One4K4
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
            Maybe an option would be to have little "wrapper" subroutines:

            sub byposGetAcctNumber {
            my $self = shift;
            my ($name,$ss) = @_;
            GetAcctNumber(name=>$name,ss=>$ss);
            }

            sub bynameGetAcctNumber {
            my $self = shift;
            my $args = (@_);
            GetAcctNumber(name=>$args{name},ss=>$args{ss});
            }

            ? Just my $0.02;

            -Tom

            --- In soaplite@y..., "Chris Davies" <Chris.Davies@M...> wrote:
            > Actually that quote was from me, but no matter. Thanks for the
            update

            > Regards,
            > Chris

          • Keanan Smith
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
              Err shouldn't that be:

              sub bynameGetAcctNumber {
              my $self = shift;
              my %args = (@_);
              GetAcctNumber(name=>$args{name},ss=>$args{ss});
              }

              (Note the % on the 1st args)
              ??

              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                Yes, yes it should. I'm left handed. ;)

                --- In soaplite@y..., Keanan Smith <KSmith@n...> wrote:
                > Err shouldn't that be:
                >
                > sub bynameGetAcctNumber {
                > my $self = shift;
                > my %args = (@_);
                > GetAcctNumber(name=>$args{name},ss=>$args{ss});
                > }
                >
                > (Note the % on the 1st args)
                > ??

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • One4K4
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                  From the SOAP::Lite pod docs:
                  Every method on server side will be called as class/object method, so
                  it will get an object reference or a class name as the first
                  parameter, then the method parameters, and then an envelope as
                  SOAP::SOM object. Shortly:

                  $self [, @parameters] , $envelope

                  If you have a fixed number of parameters, you can do:

                  my $self = shift;
                  my($param1, $param2) = @_;

                  and ignore the envelope. If you need access to the envelope you can
                  do:

                  my $envelope = pop;

                  since the envelope is always the last element in the parameters list.
                  The byname() method pop->method will return a hash with parameter
                  names as hash keys and parameter values as hash values:

                  my($a, $b, $c) = @{pop->method}{qw(a b c)};

                  gives you by-name access to your parameters.

                  my($a, $b, $c) = @{pop->method}{qw(a b c)};
                  I've tried that... but for some reason there is *no envelope* at the
                  end of @_ ?!

                  -Tom

                  --- In soaplite@y..., "Chris Davies" <Chris.Davies@M...> wrote:
                  > I'm using a SOAP::Lite server with version 0.46 of SOAP::Lite.
                  >
                  > My colleagues in a.n.other company want to use named parameters
                  (rather than
                  > positional ones) to talk to my SOAP::Lite server. They are using
                  MS .NET,
                  > and we're around most of the interoperability issues now. Is it
                  easy for a
                  > SOAP::Lite server to handle named parameters, and if so how do I
                  approach
                  > the problem?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Chris
                  > --
                  > Chris Davies, Manheim Interactive (Europe)
                  > Tel. 0870 444-0450 Fax. 0870 444-0482 Email. MOL@M...
                • One4K4
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                    FYI: You need:

                    package Foo;
                    @Foo::ISA = 'SOAP::Server::Parameters';

                    At the top of your package declration. *If* you're dynamically/non-
                    statically dispatching.

                    -Tom

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                      "You will get this functionality ONLY if you inherit your class from the
                      SOAP::Server::Parameters class. This should keep existing code working and
                      provides this feature only when you need it."

                      I think this may be what you are looking for...

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                        Yeap, that did it... consider:

                        package DocPub;
                        @DocPub::ISA = 'SOAP::Server::Parameters';

                        Which solved my problem, using the pod doc's code sample.

                        Thanks!

                        -Tom

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                          Hi, Tom!

                          There are also byName and byNameOrOrder functions (Randy Ray made a
                          great suggestion to make them methods instead of functions) in
                          SOAP::Server::Parameters class that allow you to do this:

                          my $self = shift;
                          my($a, $b, $c) = SOAP::Server::Parameters::byName([qw(a b c)], @_);

                          Take a look at \examples\My\Parameters.pm for more details.

                          Best wishes, Paul.

                          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com