RE: [soaplite] Re: Can the server process parameters by name?

  • Chris Davies
    Message 1 of 26 , May 14, 2001
      Are you able to share the approach? I've posted my offering - but it
      requires that some parameters are mandatory so it can determine whether
      names or positions have been used.

      Message 2 of 26 , May 14, 2001
        It may be a useful answer to some other question, but unfortunately it
        doesn't answer my original posting. See
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/soaplite/message/271 if you like.

        Cheers,
        Chris

        Message 3 of 26 , May 14, 2001
          * Chris Davies in "Re: Re: Can the server process parameters by name?"
          * dated 2001/05/14 09:46 wrote:

          > Are you able to share the approach? I've posted my offering - but it
          > requires that some parameters are mandatory so it can determine
          > whether names or positions have been used.

          Yes, but the reason I hesitated before was that I did not check for
          whether they are passed by name or position (and I assume that if
          coming as a SOAP object they are named). I think that you are concerned
          with whether they come across the wire named vs. positional, correct?

          --snip--
          sub login {
          my $self = shift;
          my $som, $email, $pass;

          if (ref($_[-1]) eq "SOAP::SOM") {
          $som = pop;
          ($email, $pass) = @{$som->method}{qw(email password)};
          } else {
          ($email, $pass) = @_;

          return SOAP::Data->name('Result')->type('boolean' => 1);

          hackers ally
        • Chris Davies
          Message 4 of 26 , May 14, 2001
            Hi Ashley

            Yes, I'm trying to write a procedure that "does the right thing" depending
            on whether the parameters are named or simply positional.

            Unfortunately, it seems to me that your assumption (viz a SOAP object
            implies named parameters) is incorrect. If you check the supplied parameters
            to the subroutine you'll find that, once you've done a "@ISA =
            qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters)", the parameter list will always have a
            SOAP::SOM object at its end.

            The only way I can see of solving this is to look for the mandatory
            parameter names, and if you find any of them then assume the parameters have
            been passed by name. Ugh!

            Cheers,
            Chris

            * dated 2001/05/14 09:46 wrote:

            > Are you able to share the approach? I've posted my offering - but it
            > requires that some parameters are mandatory so it can determine
            > whether names or positions have been used.

            Yes, but the reason I hesitated before was that I did not check for
            whether they are passed by name or position (and I assume that if
            coming as a SOAP object they are named). I think that you are concerned
            with whether they come across the wire named vs. positional, correct?

            --snip--
            sub login {
            my $self = shift;
            my $som, $email, $pass;

            if (ref($_[-1]) eq "SOAP::SOM") {
            $som = pop;
            ($email, $pass) = @{$som->method}{qw(email password)};
            } else {
            ($email, $pass) = @_;

            return SOAP::Data->name('Result')->type('boolean' => 1);

            hackers ally
          • Ashley Clark
            Message 5 of 26 , May 14, 2001
              * dated 2001/05/14 14:42 wrote:

              > Unfortunately, it seems to me that your assumption (viz a SOAP object
              > implies named parameters) is incorrect. If you check the supplied
              > parameters to the subroutine you'll find that, once you've done a
              > "@ISA = qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters)", the parameter list will always
              > have a SOAP::SOM object at its end.

              Yes, that is correct. I only recently understood exactly what you were
              trying to do. Passing parameters by name is simply a requirement to use
              our objects, so if there is an SOM object at the end then I know it is
              either improperly formed (no named params) or contains the correct
              list. I left out a little where I check for validity of parameters
              passed, regardless of posit/name status.

              > The only way I can see of solving this is to look for the mandatory
              > parameter names, and if you find any of them then assume the
              > parameters have been passed by name. Ugh!

              Likewise.

              --
              really shack
              Message 6 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                Hi, Ashley!

                > > The only way I can see of solving this is to look for the
                > mandatory
                > > parameter names, and if you find any of them then assume the
                > > parameters have been passed by name. Ugh!
                >
                > Likewise.
                Right, and it seems to be general problem. I would like to include
                methods, so you don't need to implement it yourself, like
                paramsByOrder(@_), paramsByName(['a', 'b', 'c'], @_),
                paramsByNameOrOrder(['a', 'b', 'c'], @_), which is the same as
                paramsByName, but will also return parameters by order if there is NO
                ONE parameter with specified name.

                In your code you can decide do you want to continue if you have onle
                one parameter instead of three or die.

                Another option might be to add description to your method which says
                that "I'm accepting parameters with names, 'a', 'b' and 'c'", so SOAP
                processor will take care about passing parameters in this particular
                order, and you get them by-order, because they already arranged for
                you. Don't promise it in the next version, but I'm working on it.

                Best wishes, Paul.

                --- Ashley Clark <aclark@...> wrote:
                > * Chris Davies in "Re: Re: Can the server process parameters by
                > name?"
                > * dated 2001/05/14 14:42 wrote:
                >
                > > Unfortunately, it seems to me that your assumption (viz a SOAP
                > object
                > > implies named parameters) is incorrect. If you check the supplied
                > > parameters to the subroutine you'll find that, once you've done a
                > > "@ISA = qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters)", the parameter list will
                > always
                > > have a SOAP::SOM object at its end.
                >
                > Yes, that is correct. I only recently understood exactly what you
                > were
                > trying to do. Passing parameters by name is simply a requirement to
                > use
                > our objects, so if there is an SOM object at the end then I know it
                > is
                > either improperly formed (no named params) or contains the correct
                > list. I left out a little where I check for validity of parameters
                > passed, regardless of posit/name status.
                >
                > > The only way I can see of solving this is to look for the
                > mandatory
                > > parameter names, and if you find any of them then assume the
                > > parameters have been passed by name. Ugh!
                >
                > Likewise.
                >
                > --
                > really shack

                http://auctions.yahoo.com/
              • Chris Davies
                Message 7 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                  Actually that quote was from me, but no matter. Thanks for the update

                  Regards,
                  Chris

                  Message 8 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                    Hi, Chris!

                    --- In soaplite@y..., "Chris Davies" <Chris.Davies@M...> wrote:
                    > Is it reasonable to provide a procedure that can handle arguments
                    > supplied either by name and by position?
                    Truly only you can decide. How it happens usually: you write server
                    and advertise methods and parameters, so everybody can use it. If
                    your parameters have names, client should specify it in request. But,
                    you can also ALLOW them to have a choice:
                    1. You can call this method with NAMED parameters in ANY order or
                    2. You can call this method with ORDERED parameters in SPECIFIED order

                    Then all that you need to do is check for presence of NAMED
                    parameters and if there is no single one (with names you're looking
                    for), get them by-order. In my understanding you have three choices:
                    by-order, by-name and by-name-or-by-order. You did it right, but I
                    think it should be included in the library, so you don't need to
                    duplicate this code in your methods. Does it answer your question?
                    BTW, there is no consensus on soapbuilders list on should by-order
                    parameters be allowed or not. I personally think they should, but I
                    represent minority in this aspect :).

                    Best wishes, Paul.

                    P.S. as far as I understand there is no need to check for
                    mandatory/optional parameters in paramByName.

                    >I can see one way of implementing this:
                    >
                    > package ByNameOrPos;
                    >
                    > use strict;
                    > use vars qw(@ISA);
                    > @ISA = qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters);
                    >
                    > sub ParamsTest
                    > {
                    > my $self = shift @_; # Class
                    > my $envelope = pop @_; # Envelope
                    > my $argshash = $envelope->method; # Args by name
                    > my ($fruit, $vegetable, $meat) = @_; # Args by pos
                    >
                    > # Check to see whether args have been passed by name
                    > my ($byName, $missing) = (0, 0);
                    > foreach my $mandatory (qw(fruit vegetable meat)) {
                    > $byName = 1 if exists $argshash->{$mandatory};
                    > $missing = 1 if not exists $argshash->{$mandatory};
                    > }
                    > $missing = 0 unless $byName;
                    >
                    > warn "byName=$byName, missing=$missing: fruit=$fruit,
                    > vegetable=$vegetable, meat=$meat; self=$self, envelope=$envelope,
                    > argshash=$argshash";
                    >
                    > my $byName = join (", ", map { "$_ => $argshash->{$_}" } sort
                    keys
                    > %$argshash);
                    > my $byPosn = join (", ", @_);
                    >
                    > return "Given ($byName) by name and ($byPosn) by position." .
                    > ' Args ' . ($byName ? 'passed by name' : 'probably passed by
                    > position') . '.' .
                    > ($missing ? ' Some mandatory parameters are missing.' : '');
                    > }
                    >
                    > Is there a more reliable or more elegant technique that I can use
                    instead of
                    > this? For starters, my proposed solution breaks if there are no
                    mandatory
                    > parameters against which to check.
                    >
                    > For completeness, here's how I call this from SOAPsh.pl:
                    >
                    > > ParamsTest('apple', 'spinach', 'chicken')
                    > --- SOAP RESULT ---
                    > 'Given (c-gensym215 => apple, c-gensym217 => spinach, c-gensym219 =>
                    > chicken) by name and (apple, spinach, chicken) by position. Args
                    passed by
                    > name.'
                    >

                    > ParamsTest(SOAP::Data->name(meat=>'beef'),SOAP::Data->name
                    (fruit=>'apricot')
                    > ,SOAP::Data->name(vegetable=>'carrot'))
                    > --- SOAP RESULT ---
                    > 'Given (fruit => apricot, meat => beef, vegetable => carrot) by
                    name and
                    > (beef, apricot, carrot) by position. Args passed by name.'
                    >

                    > ParamsTest(SOAP::Data->name(meat=>'beef'),SOAP::Data->name
                    (fruit=>'apricot')
                    > )
                    > --- SOAP RESULT ---
                    > 'Given (fruit => apricot, meat => beef) by name and (beef, apricot)
                    by
                    > position. Args passed by name. Some mandatory parameters are
                    missing.'

                    > I also would expect to have to massage the provided parameter names
                    if
                    > something like MS .NET were to call this procedure with arguments
                    by name,
                    > but in the interests of simplicity I'm ignoring that for now.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Chris
                  • One4K4
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                      Maybe an option would be to have little "wrapper" subroutines:

                      sub byposGetAcctNumber {
                      my $self = shift;
                      my ($name,$ss) = @_;
                      GetAcctNumber(name=>$name,ss=>$ss);
                      }

                      sub bynameGetAcctNumber {
                      my $self = shift;
                      my $args = (@_);
                      GetAcctNumber(name=>$args{name},ss=>$args{ss});
                      }

                      ? Just my $0.02;

                      -Tom

                      --- In soaplite@y..., "Chris Davies" <Chris.Davies@M...> wrote:
                      > Actually that quote was from me, but no matter. Thanks for the
                      update

                      > Regards,
                      > Chris

                    • Keanan Smith
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                        Err shouldn't that be:

                        sub bynameGetAcctNumber {
                        my $self = shift;
                        my %args = (@_);
                        GetAcctNumber(name=>$args{name},ss=>$args{ss});
                        }

                        (Note the % on the 1st args)
                        ??

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                          Yes, yes it should. I'm left handed. ;)

                          --- In soaplite@y..., Keanan Smith <KSmith@n...> wrote:
                          > Err shouldn't that be:
                          >
                          > sub bynameGetAcctNumber {
                          > my $self = shift;
                          > my %args = (@_);
                          > GetAcctNumber(name=>$args{name},ss=>$args{ss});
                          > }
                          >
                          > (Note the % on the 1st args)
                          > ??

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        • One4K4
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                            From the SOAP::Lite pod docs:
                            Every method on server side will be called as class/object method, so
                            it will get an object reference or a class name as the first
                            parameter, then the method parameters, and then an envelope as
                            SOAP::SOM object. Shortly:

                            $self [, @parameters] , $envelope

                            If you have a fixed number of parameters, you can do:

                            my $self = shift;
                            my($param1, $param2) = @_;

                            and ignore the envelope. If you need access to the envelope you can
                            do:

                            my $envelope = pop;

                            since the envelope is always the last element in the parameters list.
                            The byname() method pop->method will return a hash with parameter
                            names as hash keys and parameter values as hash values:

                            my($a, $b, $c) = @{pop->method}{qw(a b c)};

                            gives you by-name access to your parameters.

                            my($a, $b, $c) = @{pop->method}{qw(a b c)};
                            I've tried that... but for some reason there is *no envelope* at the
                            end of @_ ?!

                            -Tom

                            --- In soaplite@y..., "Chris Davies" <Chris.Davies@M...> wrote:
                            > I'm using a SOAP::Lite server with version 0.46 of SOAP::Lite.
                            >
                            > My colleagues in a.n.other company want to use named parameters
                            (rather than
                            > positional ones) to talk to my SOAP::Lite server. They are using
                            MS .NET,
                            > and we're around most of the interoperability issues now. Is it
                            easy for a
                            > SOAP::Lite server to handle named parameters, and if so how do I
                            approach
                            > the problem?
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > Chris
                            > --
                            > Chris Davies, Manheim Interactive (Europe)
                            > Tel. 0870 444-0450 Fax. 0870 444-0482 Email. MOL@M...
                          • One4K4
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                              FYI: You need:

                              package Foo;
                              @Foo::ISA = 'SOAP::Server::Parameters';

                              At the top of your package declration. *If* you're dynamically/non-
                              statically dispatching.

                              -Tom

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                "You will get this functionality ONLY if you inherit your class from the
                                SOAP::Server::Parameters class. This should keep existing code working and
                                provides this feature only when you need it."

                                I think this may be what you are looking for...

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                  Yeap, that did it... consider:

                                  package DocPub;
                                  @DocPub::ISA = 'SOAP::Server::Parameters';

                                  Which solved my problem, using the pod doc's code sample.

                                  Thanks!

                                  -Tom

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                    Hi, Tom!

                                    There are also byName and byNameOrOrder functions (Randy Ray made a
                                    great suggestion to make them methods instead of functions) in
                                    SOAP::Server::Parameters class that allow you to do this:

                                    my $self = shift;
                                    my($a, $b, $c) = SOAP::Server::Parameters::byName([qw(a b c)], @_);

                                    Take a look at \examples\My\Parameters.pm for more details.

                                    Best wishes, Paul.

                                    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com