Re: [soaplite] Useful module to use with SOAP::Lite
- At 21:02:31 on 2003-11-05 Randy J. Ray <rjray@...> wrote:
>> Not sure that I understand the problem that you are describing. A utf8That's right but Pierre was referring to utf-8 encoded strings that
>> string that has no multi-byte sequences is identical to an ASCII string
>> as it is limited to 7 bits and should then be compatible with ISO-8859
>UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 overlap, but are not identical.
don't have any utf-8 characters. I took that to mean only single byte
character sequences, in effect 7 bit characters.
>The problem is not with the parser module, it's with the XML specification.I am still not convinced by Pierre's approach of messing with the
>The XML spec says that a document's encoding defaults to UTF-8 in the absence
>of an explicit declaration.
>Most parsers take this a step further and convert the text nodes they return
>to the application to UTF-8 even when the document is explicitly encoded
>otherwise. While this can be convenient, it's also consistent and predictable
>behavior. In an application I recently wrote with XML::Parser (that did not
>involve SOAP or XML-RPC, but did have to deal with encoding issues), I used
>the "use bytes" pragma, and was able to do what I needed with the text data,
>with no problems.
utf-8 flag on a variable. I think that explicitly converting the
utf-8 output from SOAP::Lite into whatever encoding he wants for his
web page is cleaner and safer.