Re: [soaplite] asyncronious requests

  • Byrne Reese
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2003
      The state of asynchronous messaging in the world:

      Technically, any software package can perform asynchronous messaging. In
      fact I have written code samples for over 10 different toolkits to achieve
      just that. Support for asynchronous capabilities is not the challenge -
      the challenge is in the async protocol.

      The industry has yet to pick up on and standardize upon an asynchronous
      messaging protocol that can tell clients not only how to correlate the
      response with the request, but also how and where to send the response.

      .NET and BEA both have asynchronous messaging capabilities, but their
      protocols are different which means I can't write an async service in
      Workshop and have a .NET client use it. Not a very loosely coupled
      situation - in fact it obviates why one would use Web services in the
      first place: platform independence.

      One option is to implement your own async protocol, document it, and
      require that people follow it when using your services.

      The only other alternative is in going through an asynchronous
      intermediary. I work at Grand Central Communications which provides an
      asynchronous message bus and protocol which allows any service to be
      consumed asynchronously. There actually two modes of asynchronous message
      delivery: one for the client, and one for the server.

      The Client - a client posts a message to a service. The message is
      accepted into the system and the client recieves a correlation (or
      tracking) id for that message. When the response is ready, it will be
      delivered to a persistent message queue which was assigned to the client
      when the client signed up. Grand Central offers a SOAP API for polling
      that queue for messages. Simply make a call to the poll interface, pass in
      the correlation id to it, and if the response is ready, it will be
      returned in the response. It is more elegant than it sounds. Here is a
      code sample:

      http://www.grandcentral.com/developers/gettingstarted/developer/async/soaplite/

      The Server - a server is pushed a message that contains within a SOAP
      Header a correlation id. The server needs to parse out that id and then
      simply return an HTTP 200 - which tells the server that you have received
      the request properly. When the message has been processed and the response
      is ready it is posted back into Grand Central with the correlation ID. At
      that point the system takes over, and delivers the response to the
      necessary party in the mode they prefer.

      The good news is Grand Central is free - and you can use it as much as you
      want as long as your monthly data volume does not exceed 25MB. For a lot
      of services, that is plenty. And, if you have any questions - I can give
      you first rate support. ;)

      > hi,
      >
      > i have searched the web quite intensive but found no way to implement
      > asyncronious resquests to a soap server.
      > no question, it is no good idea to implement async requests but there
      > are situations where it simply can't be avoided.
      > so, is there a possibility to implement this in SOAP::Lite or any
      > other SOAP lib or do i have to work arround that problem in a
      > different way?
      >
      > still searching a better solution
      > norbu09
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor