asyncronious requests

  • norbu09
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2003
      hi,

      i have searched the web quite intensive but found no way to implement
      asyncronious resquests to a soap server.
      no question, it is no good idea to implement async requests but there
      are situations where it simply can't be avoided.
      so, is there a possibility to implement this in SOAP::Lite or any
      other SOAP lib or do i have to work arround that problem in a
      different way?

      still searching a better solution
      norbu09
    • Byrne Reese
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 30, 2003
        The state of asynchronous messaging in the world:

        Technically, any software package can perform asynchronous messaging. In
        fact I have written code samples for over 10 different toolkits to achieve
        just that. Support for asynchronous capabilities is not the challenge -
        the challenge is in the async protocol.

        The industry has yet to pick up on and standardize upon an asynchronous
        messaging protocol that can tell clients not only how to correlate the
        response with the request, but also how and where to send the response.

        .NET and BEA both have asynchronous messaging capabilities, but their
        protocols are different which means I can't write an async service in
        Workshop and have a .NET client use it. Not a very loosely coupled
        situation - in fact it obviates why one would use Web services in the
        first place: platform independence.

        One option is to implement your own async protocol, document it, and
        require that people follow it when using your services.

        The only other alternative is in going through an asynchronous
        intermediary. I work at Grand Central Communications which provides an
        asynchronous message bus and protocol which allows any service to be
        consumed asynchronously. There actually two modes of asynchronous message
        delivery: one for the client, and one for the server.

        The Client - a client posts a message to a service. The message is
        accepted into the system and the client recieves a correlation (or
        tracking) id for that message. When the response is ready, it will be
        delivered to a persistent message queue which was assigned to the client
        when the client signed up. Grand Central offers a SOAP API for polling
        that queue for messages. Simply make a call to the poll interface, pass in
        the correlation id to it, and if the response is ready, it will be
        returned in the response. It is more elegant than it sounds. Here is a
        code sample:

        http://www.grandcentral.com/developers/gettingstarted/developer/async/soaplite/

        The Server - a server is pushed a message that contains within a SOAP
        Header a correlation id. The server needs to parse out that id and then
        simply return an HTTP 200 - which tells the server that you have received
        the request properly. When the message has been processed and the response
        is ready it is posted back into Grand Central with the correlation ID. At
        that point the system takes over, and delivers the response to the
        necessary party in the mode they prefer.

        The good news is Grand Central is free - and you can use it as much as you
        want as long as your monthly data volume does not exceed 25MB. For a lot
        of services, that is plenty. And, if you have any questions - I can give
        you first rate support. ;)

        > hi,
        >
        > i have searched the web quite intensive but found no way to implement
        > asyncronious resquests to a soap server.
        > no question, it is no good idea to implement async requests but there
        > are situations where it simply can't be avoided.
        > so, is there a possibility to implement this in SOAP::Lite or any
        > other SOAP lib or do i have to work arround that problem in a
        > different way?
        >
        > still searching a better solution
        > norbu09
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor