Re: SMTP transport compatible with Apache SOAP

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2001
      Hi, Duffiana!

      > I guess you don't have so much time to spend with base users
      > questions,
      > but as I need a quick and right answer, it could be a good idea to
      > ask the author himself :-)
      Actually it may work. Sometimes :)

      > Using this, it appears that the mail sent from Perl code is
      > compound
      > of something like raw data (like AE23F456EF545....), while server
      > side
      > (SMTP2HTTP bridge) expect to receive XML tree, leading to XML
      > parsing exception on server side.
      It's not cryptic, it's base64 encoded. SOAP::Lite uses base64
      encoding, and it seems like Apache's bridge doesn't know what to do
      with it. You may comment line in MAILTO.pm that switch Encoding off
      (# Encoding => 'base64',), but it'll switch your encoding to
      'binary'. Here is the description:

      Here are the 5 major MIME encodings.
      A more-comprehensive listing may be found in RFC-2045.

      =over 4

      =item 7bit

      Basically, no I<real> encoding is done. However, this label
      guarantees that no 8-bit characters are present, and that lines do
      not exceed 1000 characters in length.

      =item 8bit

      Basically, no I<real> encoding is done. The message might contain
      8-bit characters, but this encoding guarantees that lines do not
      exceed 1000 characters in length.

      =item binary

      No encoding is done at all. Message might contain 8-bit characters,
      and lines might be longer than 1000 characters long.

      The most liberal, and the least likely to get through mail gateways.

      Use sparingly, or (better yet) not at all.

      =item base64

      Like "uuencode", but very well-defined. This is how you should send
      essentially binary information (tar files, GIFs, JPEGs, etc.).

      =item quoted-printable

      Useful for encoding messages which are textual in nature, yet which
      contain non-ASCII characters (e.g., Latin-1, Latin-2, or any other
      8-bit alphabet).

      =back

      base64 encoding seems to be most accurate for me and as far as I
      understand not handling it should be considered as a limitation in
      current version of Apaches SMTP bridge. I would be glad to consider
      advices how to fix it.

      Hope it helps and let me know if it doesn't solve your problem.

      Best wishes, Paul.

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/