Why difference in command line args when Perl impl is invoked via soap or on command line?

  • Mike Klein
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 18, 2003
      I thought...maybe incorrectly, that besides offering language
      independence for remote method invocation, that the implementation of a
      soap-visible method was somewhat generic.

      That it could be used locally OR remotely.

      Yet whenever I attempt to use Perl implementations directly/locally in
      perl test code...the command line parms are always missing the invoked
      program (i.e. args start at 1 rather than 0).

      When they're invoked via SOAP, I get the called program name (minus
      extension) as argv[0].

      What am I missing?
    • Mike Klein
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 19, 2003
        Unnnnhh. My bad.

        <aside> Perl is a very interesting language. I love CPAN and the list
        handling and whatnot...but it is extremely difficult to read/understand
        code quickly...as it is with other languages. Too many ways of skinning
        the same cat </aside>

        I was incorrectly invoking perl routines as subroutines rather than as
        object methods. When invoking as object method I get same cmdline args
        as when soap does its thing. Very confusing for a while...

        Getting wet with Perl via SOAP::Lite was probably not the smartest thing
        to do...(understatement of the year award).

        mike (Up all night...hey can I go to McDonald's for breakfast already?)
        klein