possible to retrieve remote address when running as Daemon?

  • c_r_dawson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 24, 2003
      Hi there,

      I would like to know if it is possible to retrieve the remote
      IP/address from the connecting client when servicing a SOAP request in
      my module. I had hoped that either the %ENV was set like a CGI, or
      that perhaps I could use Apache::Request, but I am unfortunately
      running as a Daemon, not withing Apache. Is this possible?

      My code is really simple:

      my $daemon = SOAP::HTTP::Transport::Daemon
      -> new( LocalPort => 80, LocalAddr => 192.168.1.10 )
      -> objects_by_reference( qw( My::Module ) )
      -> dispatch_to( 'My::Module::MethodA' )
      $daemon->handle;

      This is all working fine.

      Would this be something to avoid when running a SOAP server? I cannot
      think of any reason why you would want to hide this. The reason I
      want to do it is to implement a kind of poor man's authentication. I
      have a web page coming over SSL which will serve up a java applet and
      send a cryptographic key generated using the IP address and a secret
      string. The SOAP client will return this key back to the server and
      the server can then verify whether they are properly authenticated by
      verifying that their validated IP and the hidden key generate the
      public key. So, obviously I need to get a handle on the IP they come
      from, not one which could be parameterized in the method call.

      Thanks in advance.
      Chris
    • jpeyser
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 24, 2003