Segfault

  • Mark Cance
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 11, 2003
      Segfault SOAP::Lite is working really well on our development servers. However I’ve just moved the code to our production machines and it seems to be causing a segfault.

      I’m using, BSD, mod_perl-1.27, perl-5.8.0 and SOAP-Lite-0.55, with Apache::SOAP providing the transport. My apache error logs show; [Wed Sep 10 17:26:19 2003] [notice] child pid 27240 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

      My SOAP client (.NET WebService Studio), returns the exception; System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.

      This seems confirm the segfault. Any ideas on the cause would be very, very welcome!

      Mark
    • Byrne Reese
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 11, 2003
        I am not necessarily saying you are wrong - but I am not convinced that
        SOAP::Lite is causing the segfault - in my experience, segfaults typically
        come from compiled code, which SOAP::Lite it not. Chances are, mod_perl is
        coring.

        Check your config - and gdb on your httpd process. It's easy:

        * start apache and wait for the httpd processes to spin up
        * do a `ps -aef` and find the pid number of one of the httpd processes
        * run `gdb <pid>`
        * then type 'run'
        * hit your apache server with .NET until the process you attached yourself
        to cores, then type 'bt'

        You will most likely see that mod_perl is the culprit - when it is, it is
        usually due to a bad install... try recompiling mod_perl (make clean
        first)...

        > SOAP::Lite is working really well on our development servers. However I¹ve
        > just moved the code to our production machines and it seems to be causing
        > segfault.
        >
        > I¹m using, BSD, mod_perl-1.27, perl-5.8.0 and SOAP-Lite-0.55, with
        > Apache::SOAP providing the transport. My apache error logs show; [Wed Sep
        > 10
        > 17:26:19 2003] [notice] child pid 27240 exit signal Segmentation fault
        > (11)
        >
        > My SOAP client (.NET WebService Studio), returns the exception;
        > System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by
        > the target of an invocation. ---> System.Net.WebException: The underlying
        > connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.
        >
        > This seems confirm the segfault. Any ideas on the cause would be very,
        > very
        > welcome!
        >
        > Mark

        ^byrne :/
      • Mark Cance
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 11, 2003
          I have a nasty feeling you right!! I will investigate further, thanks for
          the advice.

          Mark.

          On 11/9/03 2:49 pm, "Byrne Reese" <byrne@...> wrote:

          > I am not necessarily saying you are wrong - but I am not convinced that
          > SOAP::Lite is causing the segfault - in my experience, segfaults typically
          > come from compiled code, which SOAP::Lite it not. Chances are, mod_perl is
          > coring.
          >
          > Check your config - and gdb on your httpd process. It's easy:
          >
          > * start apache and wait for the httpd processes to spin up
          > * do a `ps -aef` and find the pid number of one of the httpd processes
          > * run `gdb <pid>`
          > * then type 'run'
          > * hit your apache server with .NET until the process you attached yourself
          > to cores, then type 'bt'
          >
          > You will most likely see that mod_perl is the culprit - when it is, it is
          > usually due to a bad install... try recompiling mod_perl (make clean
          > first)...
          >

          >> SOAP::Lite is working really well on our development servers. However I¹ve
          >> just moved the code to our production machines and it seems to be causing
          >> segfault.
          >>
          >> I¹m using, BSD, mod_perl-1.27, perl-5.8.0 and SOAP-Lite-0.55, with
          >> Apache::SOAP providing the transport. My apache error logs show; [Wed Sep
          >> 10
          >> 17:26:19 2003] [notice] child pid 27240 exit signal Segmentation fault
          >> (11)
          >>
          >> My SOAP client (.NET WebService Studio), returns the exception;
          >> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by
          >> the target of an invocation. ---> System.Net.WebException: The underlying
          >> connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.
          >>
          >> This seems confirm the segfault. Any ideas on the cause would be very,
          >> very
          >> welcome!
          >>
          >> Mark
          >>

          > ^byrne :/

        • Mark Cance
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 15, 2003
            Hi,

            I've gone back and done a clean install of everything. Once again apache,
            mod_perl and my other apps work fine but when I issue a request to my
            service via Apache::SOAP I get a seg fault in my apache logs.

            I have no idea what's the cause. Byrne I tried to hook into a http process
            and debug without much luck; I did a 'top', got a PID of a httpd process and
            tried to run it, either the process STATE=stop or gdb returned 'No
            executable file specified' after typing run... Forgive me for sounding
            stupid but I'm a gdb newbie!!

            Any ideas on the cause would be really welcome as this has me really
            scratching my head!!

            Here's how I compiled apache/mod_ssl and mod_perl, (this setup has worked
            for me many times in the past)

            #config mod_ssl
            $ cd mod_ssl-2.8.x-1.3.x
            $ ./configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.26
            $ cd..

            #mod_perl
            $ cd mod_perl-1.27
            $ perl Makefile.PL \
            #EVERYTHING=1 \
            #USE_APACI=1 \
            #DYNAMIC=1 \
            #APACHE_PREFIX=/usr/local/apache \
            #APACHE_SRC=../apache_1.3.26/src \
            #DO_HTTPD=1 \
            #APACI_ARGS="--enable-module=so --enable-shared=info --enable-shared=proxy
            --enable-shared=rewrite --enable-shared=log_agent"
            $ make
            $ make install

            #apache
            $ cd ../apache_1.3.26
            $ SSL_BASE=SYSTEM \
            ./configure \
            --prefix=/usr/local/apache \
            --enable-module=ssl \
            --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a \
            --enable-module=perl \
            --enable-module=so \
            --enable-shared=info \
            --enable-shared=proxy \
            --enable-shared=rewrite \
            --enable-shared=log_agent
            $ make
            $ make install

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 15, 2003
              Mark,

              The only things that comes to mind is to look at the "Apache is
              crashing with segfaults" section:
              http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/CPAN/data/SOAP-Lite/SOAP/Transport/HTTP.html#TROUBLESHOOTING

              Best wishes, Paul.

            • Mark Cance
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 15, 2003
                Thanks Paul, seems to hint towards a similar problem I will compile
                everything again tomorrow with the --disable-rule=EXPAT flag.

                Cheers,
                Mark.

              • Mark Cance
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 16, 2003