Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: problem parsing "special" characters

Expand Messages
  • Orlando Andico
    ... That is not the problem entirely. I tried re-doing the program as a small script, and redirected the output to the file. The output vous êtes un moron
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2003
    • 0 Attachment
      --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "Igor Korolev" <IgorK@D...> wrote:
      > These 2 characters probably represent 2 bytes of utf8 encoding
      > of your characters.
      >
      > Try to set encoding of your web page to proper locale.

      That is not the problem entirely.
      I tried re-doing the program as a small script, and redirected the
      output to the file. The output

      vous êtes un moron répugnant

      actually looks like this:

      vous <C3><AA>tes un moron r<C3><A9>pugnant

      it's just that Gnome-Terminal is UTF8-aware and can render it
      properly. Opera apparently cannot when I switched it to UTF8. Also,
      the extra brackets in there look like XML tags to XML::Parser! which
      is why XML::Parser returns a "mismatched tag" error.

      Someone on this list suggested I use the Encode module to convert the
      UTF8 to ISO8859-1. But that will only fix the problem if XML::Parser
      doesn't fail (I can format the output properly). But in some of my
      other Perl scripts, the SOAP call itself FAILS due to exceptions
      thrown by XML::Parser. Obviously in this case the Encode trick won't work.

      Also, the latest version of Encode requires Perl 5.7.3 while I'm using
      5.6.1. I cannot update at this time because it's a production machine
      running mod_perl and a host of other Perl applications.
    • Orlando Andico
      ... wrote: .. ... Fixed it. XML::Parser::Lite which comes with SOAP::Lite doesn t have the problems that XML::Parser has.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 28, 2003
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "Orlando Andico" <orly_andico@y...>
        wrote:
        ..
        > Someone on this list suggested I use the Encode module to convert the
        > UTF8 to ISO8859-1. But that will only fix the problem if XML::Parser
        > doesn't fail (I can format the output properly). But in some of my
        > other Perl scripts, the SOAP call itself FAILS due to exceptions
        > thrown by XML::Parser. Obviously in this case the Encode trick won't
        > work.

        Fixed it. XML::Parser::Lite which comes with SOAP::Lite doesn't have
        the problems that XML::Parser has.
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.