Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: problem parsing "special" characters

Expand Messages
  • Orlando Andico
    ... wrote: .. ... I also tried updating to Expat-1.95-6 but the problem doesn t go away. I also get mismatched tag errors in other instances. it really does
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2003
    • 0 Attachment
      --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "Orlando Andico" <orly_andico@y...>
      wrote:
      ..
      > but from a web page (via mod_perl and Apache::ASP) i get:
      >
      > vous êtes un moron répugnant
      >
      > XML parsing failed: unclosed token (Line: 11, Character: 0)
      >
      > i've tried "use utf8" but to no avail.
      >
      > i also get mismatched XML tags sometimes when the return value
      > contains an enye (the N with a curly thing on top of it).

      I also tried updating to Expat-1.95-6 but the problem doesn't go away.
      I also get "mismatched tag" errors in other instances. it really does
      seem that the "special" characters are converted to <XX> where XX is a
      couple of hex digits, and this screws up XML::Parser.
    • Igor Korolev
      These 2 characters probably represent 2 bytes of utf8 encoding of your characters. Try to set encoding of your web page to proper locale. ... From: Orlando
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 28, 2003
      • 0 Attachment
        These 2 characters probably represent 2 bytes of utf8 encoding
        of your characters.

        Try to set encoding of your web page to proper locale.

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Orlando Andico [mailto:orly_andico@...]
        Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 8:16 AM
        To: soaplite@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [soaplite] Re: problem parsing "special" characters


        --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "Orlando Andico" <orly_andico@y...>
        wrote:
        ..
        > but from a web page (via mod_perl and Apache::ASP) i get:
        >
        > vous êtes un moron répugnant
        >
        > XML parsing failed: unclosed token (Line: 11, Character: 0)
        >
        > i've tried "use utf8" but to no avail.
        >
        > i also get mismatched XML tags sometimes when the return value
        > contains an enye (the N with a curly thing on top of it).

        I also tried updating to Expat-1.95-6 but the problem doesn't go away.
        I also get "mismatched tag" errors in other instances. it really does
        seem that the "special" characters are converted to <XX> where XX is a
        couple of hex digits, and this screws up XML::Parser.



        To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        soaplite-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com



        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Orlando Andico
        ... That is not the problem entirely. I tried re-doing the program as a small script, and redirected the output to the file. The output vous êtes un moron
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 28, 2003
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "Igor Korolev" <IgorK@D...> wrote:
          > These 2 characters probably represent 2 bytes of utf8 encoding
          > of your characters.
          >
          > Try to set encoding of your web page to proper locale.

          That is not the problem entirely.
          I tried re-doing the program as a small script, and redirected the
          output to the file. The output

          vous êtes un moron répugnant

          actually looks like this:

          vous <C3><AA>tes un moron r<C3><A9>pugnant

          it's just that Gnome-Terminal is UTF8-aware and can render it
          properly. Opera apparently cannot when I switched it to UTF8. Also,
          the extra brackets in there look like XML tags to XML::Parser! which
          is why XML::Parser returns a "mismatched tag" error.

          Someone on this list suggested I use the Encode module to convert the
          UTF8 to ISO8859-1. But that will only fix the problem if XML::Parser
          doesn't fail (I can format the output properly). But in some of my
          other Perl scripts, the SOAP call itself FAILS due to exceptions
          thrown by XML::Parser. Obviously in this case the Encode trick won't work.

          Also, the latest version of Encode requires Perl 5.7.3 while I'm using
          5.6.1. I cannot update at this time because it's a production machine
          running mod_perl and a host of other Perl applications.
        • Orlando Andico
          ... wrote: .. ... Fixed it. XML::Parser::Lite which comes with SOAP::Lite doesn t have the problems that XML::Parser has.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28, 2003
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "Orlando Andico" <orly_andico@y...>
            wrote:
            ..
            > Someone on this list suggested I use the Encode module to convert the
            > UTF8 to ISO8859-1. But that will only fix the problem if XML::Parser
            > doesn't fail (I can format the output properly). But in some of my
            > other Perl scripts, the SOAP call itself FAILS due to exceptions
            > thrown by XML::Parser. Obviously in this case the Encode trick won't
            > work.

            Fixed it. XML::Parser::Lite which comes with SOAP::Lite doesn't have
            the problems that XML::Parser has.
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.