RE: [soaplite] One More Question

  • Michael Percy
    Message 1 of 13 , May 3, 2001
      Also, if you put it in a big BEGIN block, like so:

      BEGIN {
      use strict;
      use Carp;

      my $uri = "http://localhost/";
      my $proxy = "http://localhost:1983/";

      use SOAP::Lite +autodispatch =>
      uri => $uri,
      proxy => $proxy,
      debug => sub { print @_; }
      ;
      }

      It will do what you were expecting, and evaluate that whole block at compile
      time, before anything else is executed.

      HTH,
      Mike

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 13 , May 4, 2001
        Hi, Craig!

        > my $uri = "http://localhost/";
        > my $proxy = "http://localhost:1983/";
        >
        > use SOAP::Lite +autodispatch =>
        > uri => $uri,
        > proxy => $proxy,
        > debug => sub { print @_; }
        > ;
        Answer is simple. 'use' code is executed during the COMPILE stage and
        value of $proxy (and $uri) variable is undefined. It WILL be defined
        during the EXECUTION phase, but use block alredy executed by that
        time. You need to wrap it in BEGIN block:

        BEGIN {
        my $uri = "http://localhost/";
        my $proxy = "http://localhost:1983/";

        use SOAP::Lite +autodispatch =>
        uri => $uri,
        proxy => $proxy,
        debug => sub { print @_; }
        ;
        }

        or wrap 'use' in eval to delay execution:

        my $uri = "http://localhost/";
        my $proxy = "http://localhost:1983/";

        eval q!
        use SOAP::Lite +autodispatch =>
        uri => $uri,
        proxy => $proxy,
        debug => sub { print @_; }
        ;
        1;
        ! or die;

        or write proxy => 'http://...';

        Should help. Let me know if you have any other questions.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        --- Craig Kelley <kellcrai@...> wrote:

        > Hello Again,
        >
        > I have my code working fine, but I was wondering why this specific
        > example
        > is wrong:
        >
        > --= Server =--
        > use strict;
        > use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;
        >
        > $SIG{PIPE} = 'IGNORE';
        >
        > my $daemon = SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon
        > -> new (LocalPort => 1983)
        > ->

        dispatch_to('/usr/local/home/ink/programming/pharmon/server/server_mods')
        > ;
        >
        > print "Contact to SOAP server at ", $daemon->url, "\n";
        > $daemon->handle;
        >

        > --= Client =--
        > use strict;
        > use Carp;
        >
        > my $uri = "http://localhost/";
        > my $proxy = "http://localhost:1983/";
        >
        > use SOAP::Lite +autodispatch =>
        > uri => $uri,
        > proxy => $proxy,
        > debug => sub { print @_; }
        > ;
        >

        > The server works fine. The BEGIN{} for the SOAP::Lite client
        > always dies
        > with this error message:
        >
        > proxy: transport protocol not specified
        > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./client.pl line 22.
        >
        > I looked through the Lite.pm code and found that proxy() was being
        > called
        > with a single null parameter (which fired the error message).
        > Going
        > backwards from there seemed a bit daunting :)
        >
        > PS - When is the Perl SOAP::Lite book coming out? :)
        >
        > -Craig

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • Arun Kumar U
        Message 3 of 13 , May 5, 2001
          > PS - When is the Perl SOAP::Lite book coming out? :)

          That would be cool !!

          Regards,
          Arun
          Message 4 of 13 , May 5, 2001
            Hi, Arun!

            --- Arun Kumar U <u_arunkumar@...> wrote:
            > > PS - When is the Perl SOAP::Lite book coming out? :)
            > That would be cool !!
            :)) not so soon. Scott Seely is planning to include appendix about
            SOAP::Lite in his book (should be published in July) and I'm working
            on SOAP book with James Snell, but it's moving slowly, so no dates
            here. I continue to work on User guide and hope to publish FAQ soon,
            definitely you'll have more sources for the information. Don't expect
            to get time for (big) writing soon, unless everybody on soaplite list
            decide to contribute couple of pages. Hm, doesn't seem to be daunting
            task, does it :))? And I would apprecite if you let me know what
            you'd like to see covered in details and it's not right now.

            http://auctions.yahoo.com/
          • Craig Kelley
            Message 5 of 13 , May 7, 2001
              On Sat, 5 May 2001, Paul Kulchenko wrote:

              > Hi, Arun!
              >
              > --- Arun Kumar U <u_arunkumar@...> wrote:
              > > > PS - When is the Perl SOAP::Lite book coming out? :)
              > > That would be cool !!
              > :)) not so soon. Scott Seely is planning to include appendix about
              > SOAP::Lite in his book (should be published in July) and I'm working
              > on SOAP book with James Snell, but it's moving slowly, so no dates
              > here. I continue to work on User guide and hope to publish FAQ soon,
              > definitely you'll have more sources for the information. Don't expect
              > to get time for (big) writing soon, unless everybody on soaplite list
              > decide to contribute couple of pages. Hm, doesn't seem to be daunting
              > task, does it :))? And I would apprecite if you let me know what
              > you'd like to see covered in details and it's not right now.

              Well, sign me up when you do!

              Thanks for all the help; SOAP::Lite is working like a champ.

              --
              It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
              Craig Kelley -- kellcrai@...
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 19 6:20 PM
                Ok, this is so cool. I've almost made everything work.

                But doing what this thread says hasn't worked for me.

                The code:

                use strict;
                use SOAP::Lite 'debug';

                my ($uri);

                BEGIN {
                $uri = 'http://alchesay.mcs.anl.gov:1180/';

                use SOAP::Lite +autodispatch =>
                uri => $uri,
                proxy => $uri,
                debug => sub { print @_; }
                ;
                }

                my $videoC = AccessGrid::Node::VideoControl->new();
                print $videoC->killVideoApp();

                exit 0

                Still claims to fail with no transport specified. Ideas?

                --Ivan

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 19 6:59 PM
                  Hi, Ivan!

                  > Still claims to fail with no transport specified. Ideas?
                  That's the way Perl works. $uri is NOT defined when you call 'use
                  SOAP::Lite ....'. And here is why. BEGIN block is executed as soon as
                  it's compiled. But it's NOT compiled yet, because 'use ...' is INSIDE
                  the block itself and since it also works as BEGIN it gets executed
                  BEFORE $uri assignment. Simple example:

                  BEGIN {
                  print 'A';

                  BEGIN { print 'B' }
                  }

                  print 'A' will be executed AFTER all of the outer begin is COMPILED,
                  but during this compilation will be executed inner BEGIN block, so
                  it'll print 'BA' instead of expected 'AB'. That's exactly what
                  hapenning here. 'use ...' is executed before $uri is set.

                  You need to do something like this:

                  use strict;
                  use SOAP::Lite 'autodispatch', 'debug';

                  my $uri = 'http://alchesay.mcs.anl.gov:1180/';
                  SOAP::Lite->self->uri($uri)->proxy($uri);

                  my $videoC = AccessGrid::Node::VideoControl->new();
                  print $videoC->killVideoApp();

                  SOAP::Lite->self returns SOAP::Lite object that is used with
                  autodispatch mode. You can get/set properties as with usual
                  SOAP::Lite object. Hope it helps.

                  Best wishes, Paul.

                • Chris Davies
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 20 2:10 AM
                    Hi

                    Rather than posting with a subject of "one more question", etc., can you please consider using a descriptive subject related to your email. That way, when someone searches the archives it's easier to see messages of interest.

                    Cheers,
                    Chris