FYI: WSDL Editor

  • weissadam
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2003
      Hey Folks,

      I've been fighting with Apache Axis (via CF) and SOAP::Lite quite a
      bit over the past weeks.

      I just wanted to pass along a little gem that has saved me a LOT of
      time.

      Cape Clear has released a free version of their WSDL editor. It's
      actually pretty sweet and for the most part JFW.

      I would highly recommend it to anyone who is trying to build a
      SOAP::Lite server that needs accompanying WSDL. Every other solution
      I've come across for writing or generating WSDL with perl has been a
      royal pain in the arse.

      Eventually, I'd like to see some kind of tool bundled with SOAP::Lite
      where you define your interfaces in some kind of high level
      metalanguage. ie: Define your operations, their input and output
      parameters and their types- and it spits out a WSDL file. A perl
      module boilerplate and appropriate wrapper code that automatically
      takes cares of serializing the data to match the WSDL... For
      example, if you have named structs, arrays and such in the WSDL for
      ourput parameters for an operation, the serializer will be smart
      enough to name and type the data from a perl datastructure returned
      from that operation that matches the basic structure of the return
      type.

      I really think that is the missing link for perl SOAP development.

      --adam