PHP SOAP server and Perl SOAP client

  • vici1981
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2003
      Hi all,

      I'm totally new in SOAP, I just have to build a SOAP-tunnel form my
      diploma work.
      In front of me I have a "Understanding SOAP" book, but I'm completely
      baffled...

      My SOAP client should be created in Perl, my SOAP server in PHP. I
      searched nearly everywhere I could imagine, but I couldn't find an
      example with this technology combination, on which I could try to
      comprehend...Everywhere I find Perl clients and GCI server, but I
      have to run it on an Apache Server (any differences between SOAP and
      SOAP:lite???).

      I'm so sorry, but I'm trying to understand and to find examples for
      several days, and I don't achieve...

      Hope someone can help me...

      Thanx, Vici
    • Byrne Reese
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2003
        No worries. I will try to answer your questions as best as I can.

        There are many different SOAP toolkits - software, or APIs that facilitate the creation and decomposition of SOAP messages. "SOAP" is the name of the protocol, while "SOAP::Lite" is the name of the toolkit. SOAP::Lite is obviously a toolkit for Perl programmers. Anywhere you can deploy a perl script, you can deploy a SOAP::Lite web service instance (server) or client.

        I think you will find that most code samples will show how to create a client and a server in only one language. In theory, if both toolkits talk SOAP, then they should be interoperable, so it is really unnecessary to demonstrate every permutation of Toolkit X talking to Toolkit Y.

        That being said, I doubt you will find an example of PHP talking to SOAP::Lite or vice versa.

        Now you state that you are using Apache Server... I assume you mean the Apache Web Server? I ask because your question about the difference between SOAP and SOAP::Lite leads me to believe that you may actually be referring to the Apache SOAP toolkit... the precursor to the Apache Axis SOAP toolkit.

        Let me know how your trials proceed, and good luck. Let me know if you have any further questions.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 20, 2003
          On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Byrne Reese wrote:

          > That being said, I doubt you will find an example of PHP talking to
          > SOAP::Lite or vice versa.

          But just because you don't find that specific example doesn't mean that
          you can't do it, of course. You just need to find simple examples of a
          PHP client[1], and simple examples of a Perl server[2], and follow
          along. You might also want to check out some of the articles at
          phpPatterns[3], the "Develop" category, in particular.

          [1] http://pear.php.net/package-info.php?pacid=87
          [2] http://cookbook.soaplite.com/#server%20soap
          [3] http://www.phppatterns.com/

          --