Re: [soaplite] SOAP::Lite with autodispatch on perl 5.8.0

    Message 1 of 13 , May 19, 2003
      Hi Alasdair,

      --- Alasdair Allan <aa@...> wrote:
      > You know, I think its anotehr case of having to "buy the book",
      > thinking
      > about it a bit more, I'm now fairly sure I came across this in
      > "Programming
      > Web Services with Perl" by Ray & Kulchenko, rather than the
      > SOAP::Lite docs themselves.
      It was included in the book after it was discovered by Pierre Denis
      (as far as I remember) and discussed on this list ;):

      > In fact, the lack of patches, bug fixes and new releases is
      > something thats starting to seriously worry me.
      Me too ;)

      > There isn't any (workable) alternative to SOAP::Lite using Perl and
      > its
      > lacking alot of features (e.g. literal document encoding, proper
      > MIME &
      > DIME support, "proper" WSDL deployment support) by default, and I
      > know
      > people who are starting to have interoperability issues with AXIS
      > (which
      > I guess has to be taken as the reference implementation for SOAP
      > these days).
      >
      > A year is a heck of a long time without a new distribution for
      > something thats developing as fast as SOAP and web services.
      Tell me about that; I used to release one version a week. It's
      definitely not a lack of desire to change or improve things; it's
      rather BDUF (big design up-front) paralysis: I would like to come up
      with a solid architecture that would be able to handle
      literal/document encoding, pluggable headers, different
      de/serialization formats, have XML Schema support, work with sync and
      async calls and MIME/DIME packaging specifications, perform well, be
      configurable to handle large message, and tons of other things. Maybe
      I just want to much.

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Tim Jenness
      Message 2 of 13 , May 19, 2003
        On 19 May 2003, Mark Wilkinson wrote:

        > I think they should fix Perl to accomodate SOAP::Lite ;-)
        >
        > Does anyone know when the next Perl 5.8 release is due? The autoload
        > problem is a well known bug in the last release, so I am hoping it is
        > dealt with in an upcoming patch.

        5.8.1 is imminent for some definition of imminent. It all depends on
        Jarkko.

        You can download a snapshot of 5.8.1-tobe if this is important to you.
        Note also that RedHat9 includes 5.8.0 + patches from 5.8.1 so might
        already have the bug fixed in it.

        --
        Tim Jenness
        JAC software
        Message 3 of 13 , May 20, 2003
          Hi Paul,

          your yahoo email account seems to be broken (Mail Quota exeeded) ;-)

          Am Die, 2003-05-20 um 03.04 schrieb Paul Kulchenko:
          > Hi Alasdair,
          >
          > --- Alasdair Allan <aa@...> wrote:
          > > You know, I think its anotehr case of having to "buy the book",
          > > thinking
          > > about it a bit more, I'm now fairly sure I came across this in
          > > "Programming
          > > Web Services with Perl" by Ray & Kulchenko, rather than the
          > > SOAP::Lite docs themselves.
          > It was included in the book after it was discovered by Pierre Denis
          > (as far as I remember) and discussed on this list ;):

          > > In fact, the lack of patches, bug fixes and new releases is
          > > something thats starting to seriously worry me.
          > Me too ;)

          what about delegating parts of the project to interested people? (like
          bugtracking, website maintaining, FAQ/documentation, public cvs)

          > > A year is a heck of a long time without a new distribution for
          > > something thats developing as fast as SOAP and web services.

          that's true.

          > Tell me about that; I used to release one version a week. It's
          > definitely not a lack of desire to change or improve things; it's
          > rather BDUF (big design up-front) paralysis: I would like to come up
          > with a solid architecture that would be able to handle
          > literal/document encoding, pluggable headers, different
          > de/serialization formats, have XML Schema support, work with sync and
          > async calls and MIME/DIME packaging specifications, perform well, be
          > configurable to handle large message, and tons of other things. Maybe
          > I just want to much.

          Maybe you should run two branches of SOAPlite, one that will only
          contain new bugfixes and another one for creepy futurism ;-)

          > Best wishes, Paul.

          Please continue your good work,

          regards,
          Roland

          > --
          > Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
          > kind regards,
          >
          > -----------------------------------
          > Roland Moriz
          > Systementwickler / System-Developer
          > Tiscali Games GmbH
          > Konrad-Celtis-Strasse 77
          > 81369 M√ľnchen, Germany
          > tel +49(0)89 - 71047 - 156
          > fax +49(0)89 - 71047 - 159
          > roland.moriz@...
          > roland.moriz@...
          > http://games.tiscali.de
          > http://gamesurf.tiscali.de
          > -----------------------------------
          > This email and any attachments may be confidential and the subject of
          > legal professional privilege. Any disclosure, use, storage or copying of
          > this email without the consent of the sender is strictly prohibited.
          > Please notify the sender immediately if you are not the intended
          > recipient and then delete the email from your inbox and do not disclose
          > the contents to another person, use, copy or store the information in
          > any medium.
        • Alasdair Allan
          Message 4 of 13 , May 20, 2003
            > > In fact, the lack of patches, bug fixes and new releases is
            > > something thats starting to seriously worry me.
            >
            > Me too ;)

            Good to know, we had a discussion at the IVOA (http://www.ivoa.net)
            in Cambridge last week about whether you'd dropped off the face of
            the planet entirely...

            > > There isn't any (workable) alternative to SOAP::Lite using Perl and
            > > its lacking alot of features (e.g. literal document encoding, proper
            > > MIME & DIME support, "proper" WSDL deployment support) by default,
            > > and I know people who are starting to have interoperability issues
            > > with AXIS...
            > >
            > > A year is a heck of a long time without a new distribution for
            > > something thats developing as fast as SOAP and web services.
            >
            > Tell me about that; I used to release one version a week. It's
            > definitely not a lack of desire to change or improve things; it's
            > rather BDUF (big design up-front) paralysis:

            I'm also currently suffering from second-system effect, not nice, is it? :(

            > I would like to come up with a solid architecture that would be able to
            > handle literal/document encoding, pluggable headers, different
            > de/serialization formats, have XML Schema support, work with sync and
            > async calls and MIME/DIME packaging specifications, perform well, be
            > configurable to handle large message, and tons of other things. Maybe
            > I just want to much.

            All these would be nice, perhaps branching the distribution?

            If you have a bunch of patches to the current release waiting to be
            integrated I'd be happy enough to apply them, do some testing, package
            it all up and ship it back to you if you like....?

            There is also the SOAP::MIME package on CPAN by Byrne Reese that, at
            least, should really be integrated into the core SOAP::Lite distribution.

            Don't think your efforts aren't appreciated, if it wasn't for the
            SOAP::Lite module I'd be writing in Java right now, and how bad would
            that be...? :(

            Al.
            --
            Dr. A. Allan, School of Physics, University of Exeter