Re: [soaplite] SOAP::Lite with autodispatch on perl 5.8.0

  • ed-soaplite@inkdroid.org
    Message 1 of 13 , May 19 10:07 AM
      On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 05:56:18PM +0100, Alasdair Allan wrote:
      > Right, hang on.... found it, its on page 129, near the bottom of the page.

      Damn, you're good. That footnote is highlighted in my copy now :)

      > I'm currently trying to get SOAP::Lite to talk to OGSI servers (ie Grid
      > rather than Web Services) which is a whole new headache.

      Ouch, perhaps the module author (Paul) or an interested party should apply for
      a Perl Foundation Grant [1] to get the broken stuff working again. SOAP::Lite is
      a very important deity in the CPAN...and important to the Perl community as a
      whole to have in tip-top shape.

      //Ed

      [1] http://www.perlfoundation.org/index.cgi?page=survey
    • Alasdair Allan
      Message 2 of 13 , May 19 2:45 PM
        ed-soaplite@... wrote:
        > Alasdair Allan wrote:
        > > Right, hang on.... found it, its on page 129, near the bottom of
        > > the page.
        >
        > Damn, you're good. That footnote is highlighted in my copy now :)

        Mine too... ;)

        > > I'm currently trying to get SOAP::Lite to talk to OGSI servers (ie Grid
        > > rather than Web Services) which is a whole new headache.
        >
        > Ouch,

        Tell me about it...

        I think you mean, [1] http://www.perlfoundation.org/index.cgi?page=cfprojects

        > SOAP::Lite is a very important deity in the CPAN...and important to the
        > Perl community as a whole to have in tip-top shape.

        The missing features are starting to become more of a problem as people
        make heavier use of the previously more obscure bits of the spec. Ditto,
        and perhaps more worryingly the "partially" implementated features are
        now in heavy use by alot of people (i.e. WSDL, MIME and DIME).

        However, the interoperability issues aren't just a SOAP::Lite problem,
        the "main" PHP SOAP implementation also has some issues talking to AXIS.

        Unfortunately, considering the widespread adoption of AXIS, despite its
        problems we have to take it as the "baseline" implementation.

        Al.
        --
        Dr. A. Allan, School of Physics, University of Exeter
      • Mark Wilkinson
        Message 3 of 13 , May 19 4:17 PM
          I think they should fix Perl to accomodate SOAP::Lite ;-)

          Does anyone know when the next Perl 5.8 release is due? The autoload
          problem is a well known bug in the last release, so I am hoping it is
          dealt with in an upcoming patch.

          On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 11:07, ed-soaplite@... wrote: On Mon, May
          19, 2003 at 05:56:18PM +0100, Alasdair Allan wrote:
          > Right, hang on.... found it, its on page 129, near the bottom of the
          page.

          Damn, you're good. That footnote is highlighted in my copy now :)

          > I'm currently trying to get SOAP::Lite to talk to OGSI servers (ie
          Grid
          > rather than Web Services) which is a whole new headache.

          Ouch, perhaps the module author (Paul) or an interested party should
          apply for
          a Perl Foundation Grant [1] to get the broken stuff working again.
          SOAP::Lite is
          a very important deity in the CPAN...and important to the Perl community
          as a
          whole to have in tip-top shape.

          //Ed

          [1] http://www.perlfoundation.org/index.cgi?page=survey

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          |--==\
          Mark Wilkinson, Ph.D. \==-|
          Bioinformatics Consultant \=/ 0010010010100101110010
          Illuminae Media /-\
          727 6th Ave. N. /-==| 0010100100111101010010
          Saskatoon, SK, Canada |==-/
          S7K 2S8 \=/ 0100100100010010010101
          +1 (306) 373 3841 /\
          markw@... /=-\ 1101001010100101010101
          |--==\
          Message 4 of 13 , May 19 6:04 PM
            Hi Alasdair,

            --- Alasdair Allan <aa@...> wrote:
            > You know, I think its anotehr case of having to "buy the book",
            > thinking
            > about it a bit more, I'm now fairly sure I came across this in
            > "Programming
            > Web Services with Perl" by Ray & Kulchenko, rather than the
            > SOAP::Lite docs themselves.
            It was included in the book after it was discovered by Pierre Denis
            (as far as I remember) and discussed on this list ;):

            > In fact, the lack of patches, bug fixes and new releases is
            > something thats starting to seriously worry me.
            Me too ;)

            > There isn't any (workable) alternative to SOAP::Lite using Perl and
            > its
            > lacking alot of features (e.g. literal document encoding, proper
            > MIME &
            > DIME support, "proper" WSDL deployment support) by default, and I
            > know
            > people who are starting to have interoperability issues with AXIS
            > (which
            > I guess has to be taken as the reference implementation for SOAP
            > these days).
            >
            > A year is a heck of a long time without a new distribution for
            > something thats developing as fast as SOAP and web services.
            Tell me about that; I used to release one version a week. It's
            definitely not a lack of desire to change or improve things; it's
            rather BDUF (big design up-front) paralysis: I would like to come up
            with a solid architecture that would be able to handle
            literal/document encoding, pluggable headers, different
            de/serialization formats, have XML Schema support, work with sync and
            async calls and MIME/DIME packaging specifications, perform well, be
            configurable to handle large message, and tons of other things. Maybe
            I just want to much.

            http://search.yahoo.com
          • Tim Jenness
            Message 5 of 13 , May 19 6:06 PM
              On 19 May 2003, Mark Wilkinson wrote:

              > I think they should fix Perl to accomodate SOAP::Lite ;-)
              >
              > Does anyone know when the next Perl 5.8 release is due? The autoload
              > problem is a well known bug in the last release, so I am hoping it is
              > dealt with in an upcoming patch.

              5.8.1 is imminent for some definition of imminent. It all depends on
              Jarkko.

              You can download a snapshot of 5.8.1-tobe if this is important to you.
              Note also that RedHat9 includes 5.8.0 + patches from 5.8.1 so might
              already have the bug fixed in it.

              --
              Tim Jenness
              JAC software
              Message 6 of 13 , May 20 2:28 AM
                Hi Paul,

                your yahoo email account seems to be broken (Mail Quota exeeded) ;-)

                Am Die, 2003-05-20 um 03.04 schrieb Paul Kulchenko:
                > Hi Alasdair,
                >
                > --- Alasdair Allan <aa@...> wrote:
                > > You know, I think its anotehr case of having to "buy the book",
                > > thinking
                > > about it a bit more, I'm now fairly sure I came across this in
                > > "Programming
                > > Web Services with Perl" by Ray & Kulchenko, rather than the
                > > SOAP::Lite docs themselves.
                > It was included in the book after it was discovered by Pierre Denis
                > (as far as I remember) and discussed on this list ;):

                > > In fact, the lack of patches, bug fixes and new releases is
                > > something thats starting to seriously worry me.
                > Me too ;)

                what about delegating parts of the project to interested people? (like
                bugtracking, website maintaining, FAQ/documentation, public cvs)

                > > A year is a heck of a long time without a new distribution for
                > > something thats developing as fast as SOAP and web services.

                that's true.

                > Tell me about that; I used to release one version a week. It's
                > definitely not a lack of desire to change or improve things; it's
                > rather BDUF (big design up-front) paralysis: I would like to come up
                > with a solid architecture that would be able to handle
                > literal/document encoding, pluggable headers, different
                > de/serialization formats, have XML Schema support, work with sync and
                > async calls and MIME/DIME packaging specifications, perform well, be
                > configurable to handle large message, and tons of other things. Maybe
                > I just want to much.

                Maybe you should run two branches of SOAPlite, one that will only
                contain new bugfixes and another one for creepy futurism ;-)

                > Best wishes, Paul.

                Please continue your good work,

                regards,
                Roland

                > --
                > Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
                > kind regards,
                >
                > -----------------------------------
                > Roland Moriz
                > Systementwickler / System-Developer
                > Tiscali Games GmbH
                > Konrad-Celtis-Strasse 77
                > 81369 M√ľnchen, Germany
                > tel +49(0)89 - 71047 - 156
                > fax +49(0)89 - 71047 - 159
                > roland.moriz@...
                > roland.moriz@...
                > http://games.tiscali.de
                > http://gamesurf.tiscali.de
                > -----------------------------------
                > This email and any attachments may be confidential and the subject of
                > legal professional privilege. Any disclosure, use, storage or copying of
                > this email without the consent of the sender is strictly prohibited.
                > Please notify the sender immediately if you are not the intended
                > recipient and then delete the email from your inbox and do not disclose
                > the contents to another person, use, copy or store the information in
                > any medium.
              • Alasdair Allan
                Message 7 of 13 , May 20 6:11 AM
                  > > In fact, the lack of patches, bug fixes and new releases is
                  > > something thats starting to seriously worry me.
                  >
                  > Me too ;)

                  Good to know, we had a discussion at the IVOA (http://www.ivoa.net)
                  in Cambridge last week about whether you'd dropped off the face of
                  the planet entirely...

                  > > There isn't any (workable) alternative to SOAP::Lite using Perl and
                  > > its lacking alot of features (e.g. literal document encoding, proper
                  > > MIME & DIME support, "proper" WSDL deployment support) by default,
                  > > and I know people who are starting to have interoperability issues
                  > > with AXIS...
                  > >
                  > > A year is a heck of a long time without a new distribution for
                  > > something thats developing as fast as SOAP and web services.
                  >
                  > Tell me about that; I used to release one version a week. It's
                  > definitely not a lack of desire to change or improve things; it's
                  > rather BDUF (big design up-front) paralysis:

                  I'm also currently suffering from second-system effect, not nice, is it? :(

                  > I would like to come up with a solid architecture that would be able to
                  > handle literal/document encoding, pluggable headers, different
                  > de/serialization formats, have XML Schema support, work with sync and
                  > async calls and MIME/DIME packaging specifications, perform well, be
                  > configurable to handle large message, and tons of other things. Maybe
                  > I just want to much.

                  All these would be nice, perhaps branching the distribution?

                  If you have a bunch of patches to the current release waiting to be
                  integrated I'd be happy enough to apply them, do some testing, package
                  it all up and ship it back to you if you like....?

                  There is also the SOAP::MIME package on CPAN by Byrne Reese that, at
                  least, should really be integrated into the core SOAP::Lite distribution.

                  Don't think your efforts aren't appreciated, if it wasn't for the
                  SOAP::Lite module I'd be writing in Java right now, and how bad would
                  that be...? :(

                  Al.
                  --
                  Dr. A. Allan, School of Physics, University of Exeter