Re: [soaplite] SOAP::Lite with autodispatch on perl 5.8.0

  • Alasdair Allan
    Message 1 of 13 , May 19, 2003
      > we've some problems with SOAP::Lite clients and +autodispatch running on
      > perl 5.8.0.
      >
      > Is there a known bug within perl 5.8.0 that stops this from working?
      > With 5.6.1 it worked fine, now it can't find the called package anymore.
      >
      > Is there a workaround available?

      This is a known bug, +autodispatch doesn't work under Perl 5.8.0, its
      definately in the documentation somewhere although after a brief look
      through I can't find it right now...

      If I remember correctly this is to do with a bug in UNIVERSAL::AUTOLOAD
      in 5.8.0 that breaks the autodispatch code.

      You have to use dispatch_from instead, +autodispatch is really only meant
      for one liners anyway as autodispatched methods are too easily confused
      with local ones.

      Al.
      --
      Dr. A. Allan, School of Physics, University of Exeter
    • ed-soaplite@inkdroid.org
      Message 2 of 13 , May 19, 2003
        On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 04:46:30PM +0100, Alasdair Allan wrote:
        > This is a known bug, +autodispatch doesn't work under Perl 5.8.0, its
        > definately in the documentation somewhere although after a brief look
        > through I can't find it right now...

        Documented in the SOAP::Lite docs or Perl 5.8? I had this problem a month or two
        ago, posted to this list and received no enlightenment. I would be suprised if
        it's documented in the SOAP::Lite docs anywhere, since I remember looking pretty
        hard at it...it definitely should be mentioned in the SOAP::Lite docs if
        functionality doesn't work with the stable, recommended release of Perl.

        //Ed
      • Alasdair Allan
        Message 3 of 13 , May 19, 2003
          ed-soaplite@... wrote:
          > Alasdair Allan wrote:
          > > This is a known bug, +autodispatch doesn't work under Perl 5.8.0, its
          > > definately in the documentation somewhere although after a brief look
          > > through I can't find it right now...
          >
          > Documented in the SOAP::Lite docs or Perl 5.8? I had this problem a month
          > or two ago, posted to this list and received no enlightenment. I would
          > be suprised if it's documented in the SOAP::Lite docs anywhere, since I
          > remember looking pretty hard at it...it definitely should be mentioned
          > in the SOAP::Lite docs if functionality doesn't work with the stable,
          > recommended release of Perl.

          You know, I think its anotehr case of having to "buy the book", thinking
          about it a bit more, I'm now fairly sure I came across this in "Programming
          Web Services with Perl" by Ray & Kulchenko, rather than the SOAP::Lite
          docs themselves.

          There hasn't been a new SOAP::Lite release since April last year, and I
          think Perl 5.7.3 was the current distribution back then...

          In fact, the lack of patches, bug fixes and new releases is something
          thats starting to seriously worry me.

          There isn't any (workable) alternative to SOAP::Lite using Perl and its
          lacking alot of features (e.g. literal document encoding, proper MIME &
          DIME support, "proper" WSDL deployment support) by default, and I know
          people who are starting to have interoperability issues with AXIS (which
          I guess has to be taken as the reference implementation for SOAP these
          days).

          A year is a heck of a long time without a new distribution for something
          thats developing as fast as SOAP and web services. Ho hum...

          Al.
          Message 4 of 13 , May 19, 2003
            On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 05:43:38PM +0100, Alasdair Allan wrote:
            > You know, I think its anotehr case of having to "buy the book", thinking
            > about it a bit more, I'm now fairly sure I came across this in "Programming
            > Web Services with Perl" by Ray & Kulchenko, rather than the SOAP::Lite
            > docs themselves.

            I have the book, and poured over that pretty heavily as well. I don't remember
            seeeing it...but it was a long book. Still, this should be documented a bit more
            heavily since autodispatch is a very nice feature, and Perl 5.8.0 is the
            current/stable release of Perl.

            > There hasn't been a new SOAP::Lite release since April last year, and I
            > think Perl 5.7.3 was the current distribution back then...

            So it's unlikely that autodispatch not working with Perl 5.8.0 is documented
            in the POD then.

            > In fact, the lack of patches, bug fixes and new releases is something
            > thats starting to seriously worry me.

            Existing functionality that is broken and not documented as such is worrisome.
            It is working ok for me, but I'm using SOAP in a very simplistic fashion...
            which is nice.

            > A year is a heck of a long time without a new distribution for something
            > thats developing as fast as SOAP and web services. Ho hum...

            Agreed on that. It's a great module, and the book is also wonderful. But this
            list has been a bit heavy on the question side in the 3 or 4 months I've been
            subscribed.

            //Ed
          • ed-soaplite@inkdroid.org
            Message 5 of 13 , May 19, 2003
              On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 05:56:18PM +0100, Alasdair Allan wrote:
              > Right, hang on.... found it, its on page 129, near the bottom of the page.

              Damn, you're good. That footnote is highlighted in my copy now :)

              > I'm currently trying to get SOAP::Lite to talk to OGSI servers (ie Grid
              > rather than Web Services) which is a whole new headache.

              Ouch, perhaps the module author (Paul) or an interested party should apply for
              a Perl Foundation Grant [1] to get the broken stuff working again. SOAP::Lite is
              a very important deity in the CPAN...and important to the Perl community as a
              whole to have in tip-top shape.

              //Ed

              [1] http://www.perlfoundation.org/index.cgi?page=survey
            • Mark Wilkinson
              Message 6 of 13 , May 19, 2003
                I've only ever heard it directly from Paul himself via this list. There
                should be quite a few references to it in the list archive.

                I also use dispatch_with on the server end, and ->call(procedure_name,
                %params) on the client end, rather than autodispatch,and this works just
                fine under perl 5.8

                good luck!

                Mark

                On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 10:54, ed-soaplite@... wrote: On Mon, May
                19, 2003 at 05:43:38PM +0100, Alasdair Allan wrote:
                > You know, I think its anotehr case of having to "buy the book",
                thinking
                > about it a bit more, I'm now fairly sure I came across this in
                "Programming
                > Web Services with Perl" by Ray & Kulchenko, rather than the SOAP::Lite
                > docs themselves.

                I have the book, and poured over that pretty heavily as well. I don't
                remember
                seeeing it...but it was a long book. Still, this should be documented a
                bit more
                heavily since autodispatch is a very nice feature, and Perl 5.8.0 is the
                current/stable release of Perl.

                > There hasn't been a new SOAP::Lite release since April last year, and
                > think Perl 5.7.3 was the current distribution back then...

                So it's unlikely that autodispatch not working with Perl 5.8.0 is
                documented
                in the POD then.

                > In fact, the lack of patches, bug fixes and new releases is something
                > thats starting to seriously worry me.

                Existing functionality that is broken and not documented as such is
                worrisome.
                It is working ok for me, but I'm using SOAP in a very simplistic
                fashion...
                which is nice.

                > A year is a heck of a long time without a new distribution for
                something
                > thats developing as fast as SOAP and web services. Ho hum...

                Agreed on that. It's a great module, and the book is also wonderful. But
                this
                list has been a bit heavy on the question side in the 3 or 4 months I've
                been
                subscribed.

                //Ed

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                Click Here!

                |--==\
                Mark Wilkinson, Ph.D. \==-|
                Bioinformatics Consultant \=/ 0010010010100101110010
                Illuminae Media /-\
                727 6th Ave. N. /-==| 0010100100111101010010
                Saskatoon, SK, Canada |==-/
                S7K 2S8 \=/ 0100100100010010010101
                +1 (306) 373 3841 /\
                markw@... /=-\ 1101001010100101010101
                |--==\
              • Alasdair Allan
                Message 7 of 13 , May 19, 2003
                  ed-soaplite@... wrote:
                  > Alasdair Allan wrote:
                  > > Right, hang on.... found it, its on page 129, near the bottom of
                  > > the page.
                  >
                  > Damn, you're good. That footnote is highlighted in my copy now :)

                  Mine too... ;)

                  > > I'm currently trying to get SOAP::Lite to talk to OGSI servers (ie Grid
                  > > rather than Web Services) which is a whole new headache.
                  >
                  > Ouch,

                  Tell me about it...

                  I think you mean, [1] http://www.perlfoundation.org/index.cgi?page=cfprojects

                  > SOAP::Lite is a very important deity in the CPAN...and important to the
                  > Perl community as a whole to have in tip-top shape.

                  The missing features are starting to become more of a problem as people
                  make heavier use of the previously more obscure bits of the spec. Ditto,
                  and perhaps more worryingly the "partially" implementated features are
                  now in heavy use by alot of people (i.e. WSDL, MIME and DIME).

                  However, the interoperability issues aren't just a SOAP::Lite problem,
                  the "main" PHP SOAP implementation also has some issues talking to AXIS.

                  Unfortunately, considering the widespread adoption of AXIS, despite its
                  problems we have to take it as the "baseline" implementation.

                  Al.
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 19, 2003
                    I think they should fix Perl to accomodate SOAP::Lite ;-)

                    Does anyone know when the next Perl 5.8 release is due? The autoload
                    problem is a well known bug in the last release, so I am hoping it is
                    dealt with in an upcoming patch.

                    On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 11:07, ed-soaplite@... wrote: On Mon, May

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 19, 2003
                      Hi Alasdair,

                      --- Alasdair Allan <aa@...> wrote:
                      > You know, I think its anotehr case of having to "buy the book",
                      > thinking
                      > about it a bit more, I'm now fairly sure I came across this in
                      > "Programming
                      > Web Services with Perl" by Ray & Kulchenko, rather than the
                      > SOAP::Lite docs themselves.
                      It was included in the book after it was discovered by Pierre Denis
                      (as far as I remember) and discussed on this list ;):

                      > In fact, the lack of patches, bug fixes and new releases is
                      > something thats starting to seriously worry me.
                      Me too ;)

                      > There isn't any (workable) alternative to SOAP::Lite using Perl and
                      > its
                      > lacking alot of features (e.g. literal document encoding, proper
                      > MIME &
                      > DIME support, "proper" WSDL deployment support) by default, and I
                      > know
                      > people who are starting to have interoperability issues with AXIS
                      > (which
                      > I guess has to be taken as the reference implementation for SOAP
                      > these days).
                      >
                      > A year is a heck of a long time without a new distribution for
                      > something thats developing as fast as SOAP and web services.
                      Tell me about that; I used to release one version a week. It's
                      definitely not a lack of desire to change or improve things; it's
                      rather BDUF (big design up-front) paralysis: I would like to come up
                      with a solid architecture that would be able to handle
                      literal/document encoding, pluggable headers, different
                      de/serialization formats, have XML Schema support, work with sync and
                      async calls and MIME/DIME packaging specifications, perform well, be
                      configurable to handle large message, and tons of other things. Maybe
                      I just want to much.

                      http://search.yahoo.com
                    • Tim Jenness
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 19, 2003
                        On 19 May 2003, Mark Wilkinson wrote:

                        > I think they should fix Perl to accomodate SOAP::Lite ;-)
                        >
                        > Does anyone know when the next Perl 5.8 release is due? The autoload
                        > problem is a well known bug in the last release, so I am hoping it is
                        > dealt with in an upcoming patch.

                        5.8.1 is imminent for some definition of imminent. It all depends on
                        Jarkko.

                        You can download a snapshot of 5.8.1-tobe if this is important to you.
                        Note also that RedHat9 includes 5.8.0 + patches from 5.8.1 so might
                        already have the bug fixed in it.

                        --
                        Tim Jenness
                        JAC software
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 20, 2003
                          Hi Paul,

                          your yahoo email account seems to be broken (Mail Quota exeeded) ;-)

                          Am Die, 2003-05-20 um 03.04 schrieb Paul Kulchenko:
                          > Hi Alasdair,
                          >
                          > --- Alasdair Allan <aa@...> wrote:
                          > > You know, I think its anotehr case of having to "buy the book",
                          > > thinking
                          > > about it a bit more, I'm now fairly sure I came across this in
                          > > "Programming
                          > > Web Services with Perl" by Ray & Kulchenko, rather than the
                          > > SOAP::Lite docs themselves.
                          > It was included in the book after it was discovered by Pierre Denis
                          > (as far as I remember) and discussed on this list ;):

                          > > In fact, the lack of patches, bug fixes and new releases is
                          > > something thats starting to seriously worry me.
                          > Me too ;)

                          what about delegating parts of the project to interested people? (like
                          bugtracking, website maintaining, FAQ/documentation, public cvs)

                          > > A year is a heck of a long time without a new distribution for
                          > > something thats developing as fast as SOAP and web services.

                          that's true.

                          > Tell me about that; I used to release one version a week. It's
                          > definitely not a lack of desire to change or improve things; it's
                          > rather BDUF (big design up-front) paralysis: I would like to come up
                          > with a solid architecture that would be able to handle
                          > literal/document encoding, pluggable headers, different
                          > de/serialization formats, have XML Schema support, work with sync and
                          > async calls and MIME/DIME packaging specifications, perform well, be
                          > configurable to handle large message, and tons of other things. Maybe
                          > I just want to much.

                          Maybe you should run two branches of SOAPlite, one that will only
                          contain new bugfixes and another one for creepy futurism ;-)

                          > Best wishes, Paul.

                          Please continue your good work,

                          regards,
                          Roland

                          > --
                          > Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
                          > kind regards,
                          >
                          > -----------------------------------
                          > Roland Moriz
                          > Systementwickler / System-Developer
                          > Tiscali Games GmbH
                          > Konrad-Celtis-Strasse 77
                          > 81369 M√ľnchen, Germany
                          > tel +49(0)89 - 71047 - 156
                          > fax +49(0)89 - 71047 - 159
                          > roland.moriz@...
                          > roland.moriz@...
                          > http://games.tiscali.de
                          > http://gamesurf.tiscali.de
                          > -----------------------------------
                          > This email and any attachments may be confidential and the subject of
                          > legal professional privilege. Any disclosure, use, storage or copying of
                          > this email without the consent of the sender is strictly prohibited.
                          > Please notify the sender immediately if you are not the intended
                          > recipient and then delete the email from your inbox and do not disclose
                          > the contents to another person, use, copy or store the information in
                          > any medium.
                        • Alasdair Allan
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 20, 2003
                            > > In fact, the lack of patches, bug fixes and new releases is
                            > > something thats starting to seriously worry me.
                            >
                            > Me too ;)

                            Good to know, we had a discussion at the IVOA (http://www.ivoa.net)
                            in Cambridge last week about whether you'd dropped off the face of
                            the planet entirely...

                            > > There isn't any (workable) alternative to SOAP::Lite using Perl and
                            > > its lacking alot of features (e.g. literal document encoding, proper
                            > > MIME & DIME support, "proper" WSDL deployment support) by default,
                            > > and I know people who are starting to have interoperability issues
                            > > with AXIS...
                            > >
                            > > A year is a heck of a long time without a new distribution for
                            > > something thats developing as fast as SOAP and web services.
                            >
                            > Tell me about that; I used to release one version a week. It's
                            > definitely not a lack of desire to change or improve things; it's
                            > rather BDUF (big design up-front) paralysis:

                            I'm also currently suffering from second-system effect, not nice, is it? :(

                            > I would like to come up with a solid architecture that would be able to
                            > handle literal/document encoding, pluggable headers, different
                            > de/serialization formats, have XML Schema support, work with sync and
                            > async calls and MIME/DIME packaging specifications, perform well, be
                            > configurable to handle large message, and tons of other things. Maybe
                            > I just want to much.

                            All these would be nice, perhaps branching the distribution?

                            If you have a bunch of patches to the current release waiting to be
                            integrated I'd be happy enough to apply them, do some testing, package
                            it all up and ship it back to you if you like....?

                            There is also the SOAP::MIME package on CPAN by Byrne Reese that, at
                            least, should really be integrated into the core SOAP::Lite distribution.

                            Don't think your efforts aren't appreciated, if it wasn't for the
                            SOAP::Lite module I'd be writing in Java right now, and how bad would
                            that be...? :(

                            Al.
                            --
                            Dr. A. Allan, School of Physics, University of Exeter