Asynchronous Web Services

  • Juan Jose Natera Abreu
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5 10:33 AM
      Hello Fellows,

      I need to implement some asynchronous web services, and I would like to know
      how you have managed this using SOAP::Lite.

      I have read these papers to get an idea of what needs to be done:

      http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-asynch1.html
      http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-asynch2/index.html

      I have some ideas but since this is my first incursion into SOAP, I am not
      sure how to tackle it.

      The papers basicly discuss these patterns:

      Pattern 1 One-way and notification operations: UDP server and client (I say
      UDP because neither the client or the server require an acknowledgement)
      which exchange roles. The client needs to have a listener to get the response
      whenever the server answers. The request and response can be seen as 2
      separate requests.

      Pattern 2 Request/reply operations: The same as above but the request and
      response are not separate requests, they just require 2 separate transport
      level transmissions.

      Pattern 3 Request/reply operations with polling: The client sends a request
      and gets a transaction ID as the response, then the client polls the server
      for the status of that transaction periodically. This model is not very
      efficient since it requires more than one request (posibly many) to get the
      real response.

      Pattern 4 Request/reply operations with posting: the client sends a request,
      the server answers with a transaction ID, then the server becomes a client
      and sends the response to the client and the client acknowledges with the
      transaction ID. This is like alike pattern 1, but there are acknowledgement
      at both endpoints.

      Do you think any of these patterns are viable, how would you implement them
      with SOAP::Lite?

      Also, could it be useful to have sort of an opensource proxy which runs a
      queue, it recieves the requests from the clients, queues them and forwards
      them to the appropiate endpoint? I read a bit about MQ Transport but I think
      we need a free option.

      Probably I am talking to much nonsense now, so I'll shut up now :)

      Best regards,

      Juan Jose

      PS. I am reading Programming Web Services with Perl, didn't find much about
      this subject, I am at chapter 6 though.