grabbing bytelength?

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2003
      is there an easy way to grab the bytelength (Content-Length) of the
      outgoing http message... I'd like to dump it to a db to record any
      anomalies as most of my soap posts will be the same general size.

      thanks
      -Rich
    • Byrne Reese
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2003
        Just out of curiousity, can you get this information from your
        webserver access logs? The outgoing response byte size is usually
        recorded there. Right?

        Otherwise, I am not sure what to say. SOAP::Lite does not give you
        access to the HTTP::Request and HTTP::Response objects directly. If
        there is a way, it is through a hack.

        --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <krush_groover@y...> wrote:
        > is there an easy way to grab the bytelength (Content-Length) of the
        > outgoing http message... I'd like to dump it to a db to record any
        > anomalies as most of my soap posts will be the same general size.
        >
        > thanks
        > -Rich
      • Randy J. Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2003
          On 2003.05.01 09:17 Byrne Reese wrote:
          > Just out of curiousity, can you get this information from your
          > webserver access logs? The outgoing response byte size is usually
          > recorded there. Right?

          He could get it there, yes, but only after the fact.

          > Otherwise, I am not sure what to say. SOAP::Lite does not give you
          > access to the HTTP::Request and HTTP::Response objects directly. If
          > there is a way, it is through a hack.

          I wouldn't exactly call it a hack-- you can sub-class
          SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Server and define your own response() method. This gets
          called when the server core is setting the HTTP::Response object to be
          returned to the client. The HTTP::Response object passed in is what the
          SOAP::Server core has prepared. You should be able to fetch the
          'Content-Length' header, or just length() on the content() method. Then pass
          the argument along to the super-class method with
          "$self->SUPER::response($arg)". Note that this method can be called with no
          argument, meaning that it is retrieving the response object. Then you'd just
          go straight to the SUPER::response.

          Not the be an obvious salesman, but I cover this in "Programming Web Services
          with Perl" :-). Not this exact detail, but the general concept of sub-classing
          the transport modules.

          Randy
          --
          rjray@... http://www.rjray.org http://www.svsm.org

          Any spammers auto-extracting addresses from this message will definitely want
          to include uce@... and report@...