Re: [soaplite] question about cookie behavior

  • Alan D. Salewski
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2003
      [Replying to my own post]

      On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 08:50:57AM -0400, Alan D. Salewski spake thus:
      > I've read through some previous posts to this list, the online

      Evidently I did not read through enough of them, though. The piece of
      information I needed was posted by Paul in a reply to another post way
      back in Nov. 2002 [0]

      > and SOAP::Transport::HTTP. The way I read the documentation, providing a
      > reference to an HTTP::Cookies object in the proxy() call should be
      > enough to cause the SOAP::Lite implementation to handle the rest:
      > $soap->proxy('http://localhost/',
      > cookie_jar => HTTP::Cookies->new(ignore_discard => 1));

      The above does in fact work just as it is documented. I misinterpretted
      the debugging data I was looking at.

      My eureka moment occurred when I read the following in [0]:

      <quote author="Paul Kulchenko">
      The trace data shows the information from Request object, and the auth
      headers will be added by LWP::UserAgent right before the request is made
      (you should be able to see it in LWP debug).

      The HTTP headers sent to the server are still subject to further munging
      by the underlying LWP mojo /after/ the SOAP::Lite trace is printed; the
      headers as dumped by the SOAP::Lite trace are not necessarily the
      complete set of headers that are sent to server.

      Because I did not see the cookie being set in the soap trace output, I
      thought there was a disconnect between the documentation and what I was
      seeing. It turns out that the disconnect was between my ears ;-)

      In my particular test case, what this means is that I should not expect
      to see the session cookie in the headers sent to the server in the
      SOAP::Lite trace because the cookies are handled by the underlying LWP

      Running my test through a tunnel[1] verified that the cookie was, in
      fact, being sent back to the server.

      [1] org.apache.soap.util.net.TcpTunnelGui

      a l a n d. s a l e w s k i salewski@...
      We have announced an infinitely versatile downloadable solution.
      Generated from WWW Marketing Phrase gizmo: www.lyra.org/phrase.cgi