Re: [soaplite] question about cookie behavior

  • Alan D. Salewski
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2003
      [Replying to my own post]

      On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 08:50:57AM -0400, Alan D. Salewski spake thus:
      *snip*
      > I've read through some previous posts to this list, the online
      *snip*

      Evidently I did not read through enough of them, though. The piece of
      information I needed was posted by Paul in a reply to another post way
      back in Nov. 2002 [0]

      > and SOAP::Transport::HTTP. The way I read the documentation, providing a
      > reference to an HTTP::Cookies object in the proxy() call should be
      > enough to cause the SOAP::Lite implementation to handle the rest:
      >
      > $soap->proxy('http://localhost/',
      > cookie_jar => HTTP::Cookies->new(ignore_discard => 1));
      *snip*

      The above does in fact work just as it is documented. I misinterpretted
      the debugging data I was looking at.

      My eureka moment occurred when I read the following in [0]:

      <quote author="Paul Kulchenko">
      The trace data shows the information from Request object, and the auth
      headers will be added by LWP::UserAgent right before the request is made
      (you should be able to see it in LWP debug).
      </quote>

      The HTTP headers sent to the server are still subject to further munging
      by the underlying LWP mojo /after/ the SOAP::Lite trace is printed; the
      headers as dumped by the SOAP::Lite trace are not necessarily the
      complete set of headers that are sent to server.

      Because I did not see the cookie being set in the soap trace output, I
      thought there was a disconnect between the documentation and what I was
      seeing. It turns out that the disconnect was between my ears ;-)

      In my particular test case, what this means is that I should not expect
      to see the session cookie in the headers sent to the server in the
      SOAP::Lite trace because the cookies are handled by the underlying LWP
      implementation.

      Running my test through a tunnel[1] verified that the cookie was, in
      fact, being sent back to the server.

      -Al

      [1] org.apache.soap.util.net.TcpTunnelGui

      --
      a l a n d. s a l e w s k i salewski@...
      We have announced an infinitely versatile downloadable solution.