using +trace option?

  • sfsf999999
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 15 5:27 PM
      I'm writing a simple client to access a SOAP service. I want to print
      the SOAP XML messages as they are being sent and received. The
      documentation seems to indicate that the +trace option is the way to
      do this. However, I'm having a problem using the +trace option with
      SOAP::Lite.

      This is straight out of the perldoc:

      use SOAP::Lite +trace =>
      qw(method fault);

      But when I run that, I get this:

      Odd (wrong?) number of parameters in import(), still continue at
      test.pl line 2
      Can't locate class method "fault" via package "SOAP::Lite" at test.pl
      line 2
      BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at test.pl line 3.

      Here is my version info:

      perl -v
      This is perl, v5.6.1 built for i386-linux

      Version info from Lite.pm:
      # $Id: Lite.pm,v 1.47 2002/04/15 16:17:38 paulk Exp $

      Also, what is the significance of the '+' in "+fault"? Is it a
      feature of the Perl language, or just something cute that SOAP::Lite
      uses. I have never seen it before and it seems a bit bizarre.

      Darin Franklin
    • Duncan Cameron
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15 8:10 PM
        On 2003-04-16 sfsf999999 wrote:
        >I'm writing a simple client to access a SOAP service. I want to print
        >the SOAP XML messages as they are being sent and received. The
        >documentation seems to indicate that the +trace option is the way to
        >do this. However, I'm having a problem using the +trace option with
        >SOAP::Lite.
        >
        >This is straight out of the perldoc:
        >
        >use SOAP::Lite +trace =>
        > qw(method fault);

        The docs are wrong in this case of having more than one trace parameter
        The syntax is:
        use SOAP::Lite +trace => [ qw(method fault)];

        >Also, what is the significance of the '+' in "+fault"? Is it a
        >feature of the Perl language, or just something cute that SOAP::Lite
        >uses. I have never seen it before and it seems a bit bizarre.

        I think that it is an alternative to quoting the bare-word trace to
        avoid it being treated as a method call. Although it seems unnecessary
        with my version of Perl, Active State 5.6.1.

        Regards,
        Duncan