Re: [soaplite] Can the server process parameters by name?

  • Larry Mulcahy
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 26, 2001
      Hmm, it works when I rewrite my CGI script as a .pm module
      and have my mod_perl SOAP::Apache module dynamically load it.
      Is it possible to do this as a CGI script?

      --
      Larry Mulcahy lmulcahy@...
      PGP public key at:
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 26, 2001
        Hi, Larry!

        Definitely. Put BEGIN {} block aroung package declaration:

        #!/usr/local/bin/perl

        use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;

        SOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI
        -> dispatch_to('PARAMS')
        -> handle;

        BEGIN {

        package PARAMS;

        use vars qw(@ISA);
        @ISA = qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters);

        sub ParamsTest
        {
        my($a, $b, $c) = @{pop->method}{qw(a b c)};
        return "a=$a, b=$b, c=$c";

        Inheritance (@ISA) doesn't work unless you declare module BEFORE
        usage or put it in BEGIN block. Important ONLY if your package
        declaration is in the same file where you use it. Hope it helps.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        --- Larry Mulcahy <lmulcahy@...> wrote:
        > Hmm, it works when I rewrite my CGI script as a .pm module
        > and have my mod_perl SOAP::Apache module dynamically load it.
        > Is it possible to do this as a CGI script?
        >
        > Larry Mulcahy wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm also trying to get named parameters to work.
        > > After looking at

        http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0104&L=soap&F=&S=&P=11652
        > > as well as the code in examples/parametersbyname.pl and
        > > examples/My/Parameters.pm I thought I understood what to do.
        > > The two attached files show my client and server code.
        > > The client fails with the message:
        > >
        > > $ ./params-client.perl
        > > Can't call method "method" without a package or object reference
        > at
        > > /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin-open/params-server.perl line 17.
        > >
        > > What's wrong?!?!
        >
        > --
        > Larry Mulcahy lmulcahy@...
        > PGP public key at:
        > http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2C4C5A03

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • Larry Mulcahy
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 27, 2001
          Great, that works!

          Next question :(

          I would like to use SOAP::Lite to call a function with something
          like a list of records.

          I'd like to have the list or array named, and also have the
          elements of each record be named.

          Attached are another client and server test program. I don't
          know how to write the server. List-server.perl as written
          writes the following to the server's error log when invoked
          as a CGI application by list-client.perl, showing that it's
          keeping the parameter values but losing the names:

          222
          333
          111
          22
          33
          11

          Third attachment is a slightly tidied up capture of the
          XML request, showing that the a, b and c names are making it this
          far.

          Can this be done with SOAP::Lite?

          --
          Larry Mulcahy lmulcahy@...
          PGP public key at:
          http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2C4C5A03
        • Chris Davies
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 30, 2001

            Hi folks,

            Is it reasonable to provide a procedure that can handle arguments supplied either by name and by position? I can see one way of implementing this:

            package ByNameOrPos;

            use strict;
            use vars qw(@ISA);
            @ISA = qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters);

            sub ParamsTest
            {
                my $self = shift @_;                        # Class
                my $envelope = pop @_;                      # Envelope
                my $argshash = $envelope->method;           # Args by name
                my ($fruit, $vegetable, $meat) = @_;        # Args by pos

                # Check to see whether args have been passed by name
                my ($byName, $missing) = (0, 0);
                foreach my $mandatory (qw(fruit vegetable meat)) {
                    $byName = 1 if exists $argshash->{$mandatory};
                    $missing = 1 if not exists $argshash->{$mandatory};
                }
                $missing = 0 unless $byName;

                warn "byName=$byName, missing=$missing: fruit=$fruit, vegetable=$vegetable, meat=$meat; self=$self, envelope=$envelope, argshash=$argshash";

                my $byName = join (", ", map { "$_ => $argshash->{$_}" } sort keys %$argshash);
                my $byPosn = join (", ", @_);

                return "Given ($byName) by name and ($byPosn) by position." .
                    ' Args ' . ($byName ? 'passed by name' : 'probably passed by position') . '.' .
                    ($missing ? ' Some mandatory parameters are missing.' : '');
            }

            Is there a more reliable or more elegant technique that I can use instead of this? For starters, my proposed solution breaks if there are no mandatory parameters against which to check.

            For completeness, here's how I call this from SOAPsh.pl:

            > ParamsTest('apple', 'spinach', 'chicken')
            --- SOAP RESULT ---
            'Given (c-gensym215 => apple, c-gensym217 => spinach, c-gensym219 => chicken) by name and (apple, spinach, chicken) by position. Args passed by name.'

            > ParamsTest(SOAP::Data->name(meat=>'beef'),SOAP::Data->name(fruit=>'apricot'),SOAP::Data->name(vegetable=>'carrot'))
            --- SOAP RESULT ---
            'Given (fruit => apricot, meat => beef, vegetable => carrot) by name and (beef, apricot, carrot) by position. Args passed by name.'

            ParamsTest(SOAP::Data->name(meat=>'beef'),SOAP::Data->name(fruit=>'apricot'))
            --- SOAP RESULT ---
            'Given (fruit => apricot, meat => beef) by name and (beef, apricot) by position. Args passed by name. Some mandatory parameters are missing.'

            I also would expect to have to massage the provided parameter names if something like MS .NET were to call this procedure with arguments by name, but in the interests of simplicity I'm ignoring that for now.

            Thanks,
            Chris

          • Chris Davies
            Message 5 of 26 , May 11, 2001
              Do I take it that everyone reckons it's a stupid requirement?

              Thanks,
              Chris

              Message 6 of 26 , May 11, 2001
                * Chris Davies in "Re: Can the server process parameters by name?"
                * dated 2001/05/11 17:47 wrote:

                > Do I take it that everyone reckons it's a stupid requirement?

                I have some methods that handle arguments by parameter (using
                SOAP::SOM) as well as position. I only do this though so that I can
                call some objects without going through SOAP (local SOAP objects?)

                --
                shaky cellar
              • Robert Barta
                Message 7 of 26 , May 11, 2001
                  Chris Davies wrote:

                  > Do I take it that everyone reckons it's a stupid requirement?

                  I found this in my archive, maybe it helps:

                  \rho

                  -------------

                • Chris Davies
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                    Are you able to share the approach? I've posted my offering - but it
                    requires that some parameters are mandatory so it can determine whether
                    names or positions have been used.

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                      It may be a useful answer to some other question, but unfortunately it
                      doesn't answer my original posting. See
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/soaplite/message/271 if you like.

                      Cheers,
                      Chris

                      Paul Kulchenko wrote:

                      Definitely. Put BEGIN {} block aroung package declaration:

                      #!/usr/local/bin/perl

                      use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;

                      SOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI
                      -> dispatch_to('PARAMS')
                      -> handle;

                      BEGIN {

                      package PARAMS;

                      use vars qw(@ISA);
                      @ISA = qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters);

                      sub ParamsTest
                      {
                      my($a, $b, $c) = @{pop->method}{qw(a b c)};
                      return "a=$a, b=$b, c=$c";

                      Inheritance (@ISA) doesn't work unless you declare module BEFORE
                      usage or put it in BEGIN block. Important ONLY if your package
                      declaration is in the same file where you use it. Hope it helps.

                      Best wishes, Paul.

                      --- Larry Mulcahy <lmulcahy@...> wrote:
                      > Hmm, it works when I rewrite my CGI script as a .pm module
                      > and have my mod_perl SOAP::Apache module dynamically load it.
                      > Is it possible to do this as a CGI script?
                      >
                      > Larry Mulcahy wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I'm also trying to get named parameters to work.
                      > > After looking at

                      http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0104&L=soap&F=&S=&P=11652
                      > > as well as the code in examples/parametersbyname.pl and
                      > > examples/My/Parameters.pm I thought I understood what to do.
                      > > The two attached files show my client and server code.
                      > > The client fails with the message:
                      > >
                      > > $ ./params-client.perl
                      > > Can't call method "method" without a package or object reference
                      > at
                      > > /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin-open/params-server.perl line 17.
                      > >
                      > > What's wrong?!?!
                      >
                      > --
                      > Larry Mulcahy lmulcahy@...
                      > PGP public key at:
                      > http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2C4C5A03

                      > Subject: RE: [soaplite] Can the server process parameters by name?
                      >
                      > Hi folks,
                      > Is it reasonable to provide a procedure that can handle arguments supplied
                      > either by name and by position? I can see one way of implementing this
                      >
                      > [...snip...]

                    • Ashley Clark
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                        * Chris Davies in "Re: Re: Can the server process parameters by name?"
                        * dated 2001/05/14 09:46 wrote:

                        > Are you able to share the approach? I've posted my offering - but it
                        > requires that some parameters are mandatory so it can determine
                        > whether names or positions have been used.

                        Yes, but the reason I hesitated before was that I did not check for
                        whether they are passed by name or position (and I assume that if
                        coming as a SOAP object they are named). I think that you are concerned
                        with whether they come across the wire named vs. positional, correct?

                        --snip--
                        sub login {
                        my $self = shift;
                        my $som, $email, $pass;

                        if (ref($_[-1]) eq "SOAP::SOM") {
                        $som = pop;
                        ($email, $pass) = @{$som->method}{qw(email password)};
                        } else {
                        ($email, $pass) = @_;

                        return SOAP::Data->name('Result')->type('boolean' => 1);

                        hackers ally
                      • Chris Davies
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                          Hi Ashley

                          Yes, I'm trying to write a procedure that "does the right thing" depending
                          on whether the parameters are named or simply positional.

                          Unfortunately, it seems to me that your assumption (viz a SOAP object
                          implies named parameters) is incorrect. If you check the supplied parameters
                          to the subroutine you'll find that, once you've done a "@ISA =
                          qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters)", the parameter list will always have a
                          SOAP::SOM object at its end.

                          The only way I can see of solving this is to look for the mandatory
                          parameter names, and if you find any of them then assume the parameters have
                          been passed by name. Ugh!

                          Cheers,
                          Chris

                          Message 12 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                            * dated 2001/05/14 14:42 wrote:

                            > Unfortunately, it seems to me that your assumption (viz a SOAP object
                            > implies named parameters) is incorrect. If you check the supplied
                            > parameters to the subroutine you'll find that, once you've done a
                            > "@ISA = qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters)", the parameter list will always
                            > have a SOAP::SOM object at its end.

                            Yes, that is correct. I only recently understood exactly what you were
                            trying to do. Passing parameters by name is simply a requirement to use
                            our objects, so if there is an SOM object at the end then I know it is
                            either improperly formed (no named params) or contains the correct
                            list. I left out a little where I check for validity of parameters
                            passed, regardless of posit/name status.

                            > The only way I can see of solving this is to look for the mandatory
                            > parameter names, and if you find any of them then assume the
                            > parameters have been passed by name. Ugh!

                            Likewise.

                            --
                            really shack
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                              Hi, Ashley!

                              > > The only way I can see of solving this is to look for the
                              > mandatory
                              > > parameter names, and if you find any of them then assume the
                              > > parameters have been passed by name. Ugh!
                              >
                              > Likewise.
                              Right, and it seems to be general problem. I would like to include
                              methods, so you don't need to implement it yourself, like
                              paramsByOrder(@_), paramsByName(['a', 'b', 'c'], @_),
                              paramsByNameOrOrder(['a', 'b', 'c'], @_), which is the same as
                              paramsByName, but will also return parameters by order if there is NO
                              ONE parameter with specified name.

                              In your code you can decide do you want to continue if you have onle
                              one parameter instead of three or die.

                              Another option might be to add description to your method which says
                              that "I'm accepting parameters with names, 'a', 'b' and 'c'", so SOAP
                              processor will take care about passing parameters in this particular
                              order, and you get them by-order, because they already arranged for
                              you. Don't promise it in the next version, but I'm working on it.

                              Best wishes, Paul.

                              --- Ashley Clark <aclark@...> wrote:
                              > * Chris Davies in "Re: Re: Can the server process parameters by
                              > name?"
                              > * dated 2001/05/14 14:42 wrote:
                              >
                              > > Unfortunately, it seems to me that your assumption (viz a SOAP
                              > object
                              > > implies named parameters) is incorrect. If you check the supplied
                              > > parameters to the subroutine you'll find that, once you've done a
                              > > "@ISA = qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters)", the parameter list will
                              > always
                              > > have a SOAP::SOM object at its end.
                              >
                              > Yes, that is correct. I only recently understood exactly what you
                              > were
                              > trying to do. Passing parameters by name is simply a requirement to
                              > use
                              > our objects, so if there is an SOM object at the end then I know it
                              > is
                              > either improperly formed (no named params) or contains the correct
                              > list. I left out a little where I check for validity of parameters
                              > passed, regardless of posit/name status.
                              >
                              > > The only way I can see of solving this is to look for the
                              > mandatory
                              > > parameter names, and if you find any of them then assume the
                              > > parameters have been passed by name. Ugh!
                              >
                              > Likewise.
                              >
                              > --
                              > really shack

                              http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                            • Chris Davies
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                                Actually that quote was from me, but no matter. Thanks for the update

                                Regards,
                                Chris

                                Message 15 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                                  Hi, Chris!

                                  --- In soaplite@y..., "Chris Davies" <Chris.Davies@M...> wrote:
                                  > Is it reasonable to provide a procedure that can handle arguments
                                  > supplied either by name and by position?
                                  Truly only you can decide. How it happens usually: you write server
                                  and advertise methods and parameters, so everybody can use it. If
                                  your parameters have names, client should specify it in request. But,
                                  you can also ALLOW them to have a choice:
                                  1. You can call this method with NAMED parameters in ANY order or
                                  2. You can call this method with ORDERED parameters in SPECIFIED order

                                  Then all that you need to do is check for presence of NAMED
                                  parameters and if there is no single one (with names you're looking
                                  for), get them by-order. In my understanding you have three choices:
                                  by-order, by-name and by-name-or-by-order. You did it right, but I
                                  think it should be included in the library, so you don't need to
                                  duplicate this code in your methods. Does it answer your question?
                                  BTW, there is no consensus on soapbuilders list on should by-order
                                  parameters be allowed or not. I personally think they should, but I
                                  represent minority in this aspect :).

                                  Best wishes, Paul.

                                  P.S. as far as I understand there is no need to check for
                                  mandatory/optional parameters in paramByName.

                                • One4K4
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                    Maybe an option would be to have little "wrapper" subroutines:

                                    sub byposGetAcctNumber {
                                    my $self = shift;
                                    my ($name,$ss) = @_;
                                    GetAcctNumber(name=>$name,ss=>$ss);
                                    }

                                    sub bynameGetAcctNumber {
                                    my $self = shift;
                                    my $args = (@_);
                                    GetAcctNumber(name=>$args{name},ss=>$args{ss});
                                    }

                                    ? Just my $0.02;

                                    -Tom

                                    --- In soaplite@y..., "Chris Davies" <Chris.Davies@M...> wrote:
                                    > Actually that quote was from me, but no matter. Thanks for the
                                    update

                                    > Regards,
                                    > Chris

                                  • Keanan Smith
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                      Err shouldn't that be:

                                      sub bynameGetAcctNumber {
                                      my $self = shift;
                                      my %args = (@_);
                                      GetAcctNumber(name=>$args{name},ss=>$args{ss});
                                      }

                                      (Note the % on the 1st args)
                                      ??

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                        Yes, yes it should. I'm left handed. ;)

                                        --- In soaplite@y..., Keanan Smith <KSmith@n...> wrote:
                                        > Err shouldn't that be:
                                        >
                                        > sub bynameGetAcctNumber {
                                        > my $self = shift;
                                        > my %args = (@_);
                                        > GetAcctNumber(name=>$args{name},ss=>$args{ss});
                                        > }
                                        >
                                        > (Note the % on the 1st args)
                                        > ??

                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                      • One4K4
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                          From the SOAP::Lite pod docs:
                                          Every method on server side will be called as class/object method, so
                                          it will get an object reference or a class name as the first
                                          parameter, then the method parameters, and then an envelope as
                                          SOAP::SOM object. Shortly:

                                          $self [, @parameters] , $envelope

                                          If you have a fixed number of parameters, you can do:

                                          my $self = shift;
                                          my($param1, $param2) = @_;

                                          and ignore the envelope. If you need access to the envelope you can
                                          do:

                                          my $envelope = pop;

                                          since the envelope is always the last element in the parameters list.
                                          The byname() method pop->method will return a hash with parameter
                                          names as hash keys and parameter values as hash values:

                                          my($a, $b, $c) = @{pop->method}{qw(a b c)};

                                          gives you by-name access to your parameters.

                                          my($a, $b, $c) = @{pop->method}{qw(a b c)};
                                          I've tried that... but for some reason there is *no envelope* at the
                                          end of @_ ?!

                                          -Tom

                                          --- In soaplite@y..., "Chris Davies" <Chris.Davies@M...> wrote:
                                          > I'm using a SOAP::Lite server with version 0.46 of SOAP::Lite.
                                          >
                                          > My colleagues in a.n.other company want to use named parameters
                                          (rather than
                                          > positional ones) to talk to my SOAP::Lite server. They are using
                                          MS .NET,
                                          > and we're around most of the interoperability issues now. Is it
                                          easy for a
                                          > SOAP::Lite server to handle named parameters, and if so how do I
                                          approach
                                          > the problem?
                                          >
                                          > Thanks,
                                          > Chris
                                          > --
                                          > Chris Davies, Manheim Interactive (Europe)
                                          > Tel. 0870 444-0450 Fax. 0870 444-0482 Email. MOL@M...
                                        • One4K4
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                            FYI: You need:

                                            package Foo;
                                            @Foo::ISA = 'SOAP::Server::Parameters';

                                            At the top of your package declration. *If* you're dynamically/non-
                                            statically dispatching.

                                            -Tom

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                              "You will get this functionality ONLY if you inherit your class from the
                                              SOAP::Server::Parameters class. This should keep existing code working and
                                              provides this feature only when you need it."

                                              I think this may be what you are looking for...

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                                Yeap, that did it... consider:

                                                package DocPub;
                                                @DocPub::ISA = 'SOAP::Server::Parameters';

                                                Which solved my problem, using the pod doc's code sample.

                                                Thanks!

                                                -Tom

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                                  Hi, Tom!

                                                  There are also byName and byNameOrOrder functions (Randy Ray made a
                                                  great suggestion to make them methods instead of functions) in
                                                  SOAP::Server::Parameters class that allow you to do this:

                                                  my $self = shift;
                                                  my($a, $b, $c) = SOAP::Server::Parameters::byName([qw(a b c)], @_);

                                                  Take a look at \examples\My\Parameters.pm for more details.

                                                  Best wishes, Paul.

                                                  http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com