Alternative to WSDL::Generator.pm

  • kedsbarve
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 26, 2003
      All:

      Is there any other alternative to the WSDL::Generator module??

      I found the WSDL::Generator module pretty inefficient. I did manage
      to generate a WSDL, but had to modify a bit here and there to get it
      running. It works fine when using a SOAP/Lite client, but lots and
      lots of issues using non-soap/lite clients accessing the wsdl service.

      Is there any alternative tool?? any similiar experiences??

      thanks
      kedar
    • Ziya Suzen
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 26, 2003
        On 2003-03-26 21:17:12 +0000, kedsbarve wrote:

        > All:
        >
        > Is there any other alternative to the WSDL::Generator module??
        >
        > I found the WSDL::Generator module pretty inefficient. I did manage
        > to generate a WSDL, but had to modify a bit here and there to get it
        > running. It works fine when using a SOAP/Lite client, but lots and
        > lots of issues using non-soap/lite clients accessing the wsdl service.
        >
        > Is there any alternative tool?? any similiar experiences??

        Exactly the same experience! I tried to get it to work with a few
        other clients. No luck! And in the end I had to write the whole WSDL
        document by hand.

        I coulnd't find any other tool at that time either.

        Good luck!

        Ziya.

        > thanks
        > kedar

      • Randy J. Ray
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 26, 2003
          > Is there any other alternative to the WSDL::Generator module??

          Not at present, no. The simple reason is that Perl is not strongly-typed, so
          there is no clear way to intuit the interface specifics. It can be done to a
          certain extent, as WSDL::Generator attempts to do, but there are a lot of ways
          to break it.

          Randy
          --
          rjray@... http://www.rjray.org http://www.svsm.org

          Any spammers auto-extracting addresses from this message will definitely want
          to include uce@... and report@...
        • kedsbarve
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 27, 2003
            I agree perl not being a strongly-typed language will have issues
            with this unlike other typed languages, and indeed the
            wsdl::generator module tries hard to get around it.

            Do you have any pointers/leads on ways on howto break thru it!! And
            moreover there is no sufficient documentation on the wsdl::generator.
            ANy ideas would be appreciated in this regard??

            I like soap::lite (awesome job paul!!) and i want to maintain
            soap/lite as the preferred server backend for wsdl services.

            Thanks in advance
            kedar

            --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "Randy J. Ray" <rjray@b...> wrote:
            > > Is there any other alternative to the WSDL::Generator module??
            >
            > Not at present, no. The simple reason is that Perl is not strongly-
            typed, so
            > there is no clear way to intuit the interface specifics. It can be
            done to a
            > certain extent, as WSDL::Generator attempts to do, but there are a
            lot of ways
            > to break it.
            >
            > Randy
            > --
            > rjray@b... http://www.rjray.org http://www.svsm.org
            >
            > Any spammers auto-extracting addresses from this message will
            definitely want
            > to include uce@f... and report@f...
          • Pierre Denis
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 28, 2003
              > Is there any other alternative to the WSDL::Generator module??

              Hi,

              Sorry WSDL::Generator doesn't provide all what you need. Several reasons:

              - There's a really annoying bug with perl 5.8 with UNIVERSAL::AUTOLOAD. This
              has been well documented and will be fixed in 5.10 (already fixed in
              development version 5.9). This bug makes Class::Hook to fail, Class::Hook
              being used by WSDL::Generator
              - I have not been able to test the auto generated wsdl file on many
              platforms. It works for me, but I don't use the full spectrum of possible
              SOAP implementations in the universe. I've had feedback from different
              persons using it on .Net or with Delphi. This has been injected into
              WSDL::Generator, but I need obviously more input. I've read that several
              persons needed to update by hand the WSDL file, I would be glad to see what
              was the original file and what is the modified file.

              Finally, I plan to use a proxy server to intercept the SOAP calls instead of
              using Class::Hook. That should make WSDL::Generator more versatile.

              Any other ideas welcome :-)

              Regards

              Pierre Denis
            • Pierre Denis
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 28, 2003
                > Do you have any pointers/leads on ways on howto break thru it!! And
                > moreover there is no sufficient documentation on the wsdl::generator.
                > ANy ideas would be appreciated in this regard??

                Hi Kedar,

                I have had several requests concerning how to use WSDL::Generator, so there
                is a How-To document embedded in the distribution. It is not very obvious,
                I'll make it more visible next release. I hope it makes WSDL::Generator
                somewhat easier to use.

                Regards
                Pierre Denis
              • kedsbarve
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 31, 2003
                  Hey Pierre:

                  Thanks for the reply!! This generator module is indeed a nice step in
                  the right direction for Perl mongers like us :-)

                  As you said below, regarding the UNIVERSAL::AUTOLOAD, I am using Perl
                  5.6.1 (AIX 4.3) not 5.8 to generate the wsdl, will that make any
                  difference??

                  I did follow the instructions as per the how-to file to generate the
                  wsdl. (Maybe you can make it a little bit more elaborate with some
                  more details!! :-)

                  with regards to what part of wsdl I modified to get it working:

                  For instance, following things were missing. I had to modify it a
                  bit, to get it working for the perl soap::lite client.

                  <soap:binding style="document"

                  ####
                  <operation name="HelloWorld">
                  <soap:operation style="document"
                  soapAction="http://10.21.24.28:8000/parseHtml#HelloWorld"/>

                  *** the 'soapAction' was blank here. I had to add it by hand ***
                  <input>

                  <soap:body use="literal"
                  namespace="http://10.21.24.28:8000/parseHtml"/>
                  </input>
                  <output>
                  <soap:body use="literal"
                  namespace="http://10.21.24.28:8000/parseHtml"/>
                  </output>

                  *** the 'namespace' was missing in the wsdl. I had to add it by hand
                  ****

                  ####

                  Once I modified it, the soap/lite client had no issues.

                  few more questions!!

                  I have 5 subroutines in my .pm file with different parameter sets.

                  For eg: (my wsdl creation script as per the how-to document)

                  use WSDL::Generator;

                  my $init = {
                  'schema_namesp'
                  => 'http://10.21.24.28:8000/parseHtml.xsd',
                  'services' => 'HtmlServices',
                  'service_name' => 'parseHtml',
                  'target_namesp'
                  => 'http://10.21.24.28:8000/parseHtml',
                  'documentation' => 'Web services module',
                  'location'
                  => 'http://10.21.24.28:8000/webperl/beta/htmlserv.pl'
                  };

                  my $w = WSDL::Generator->new($init);
                  parseHtml->HelloWorld("param1", "param2"....)
                  parseHtml->parseURL("param1", "param2", "param3"...)
                  #..etc

                  print $w->get(parseHtml);

                  exit;
                  --------------------

                  -- Do I need to specify the "params" while generating the wsdl,
                  because what I observed is that it didn't make any difference in the
                  wsdl created even if I had omitted the params. Soap/Lite is pretty
                  understanding and it gets the job done well.
                  But not the same results with other client toolkits like: pocketSoap,
                  MS SOAP toolkits 2.0/3.0, XMLSPY 5.

                  -- I keep getting errors like "Failed to access class (parseHtml.xsd)
                  at /opt/freeware/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/SOAP/Lite.pm

                  line 2100" when i access this wsdl from a non-soap/lite client. Any
                  idea??

                  -- One of my subroutine above has 5 parameters. But when I access it
                  from xmlspy/ms-soap toolkits etc I don't see the correct

                  params. It shows by default only 1 parameter and not the actual 5.
                  ANy idea whuch such a behaviour and how to fix this?

                  Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!!

                  Cheers!
                  kedar