Re: [soaplite] Can the server process parameters by name?

  • Larry Mulcahy
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 26, 2001
      I'm also trying to get named parameters to work.
      After looking at
      http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0104&L=soap&F=&S=&P=11652
      as well as the code in examples/parametersbyname.pl and
      examples/My/Parameters.pm I thought I understood what to do.
      The two attached files show my client and server code.
      The client fails with the message:

      $ ./params-client.perl
      Can't call method "method" without a package or object reference at
      /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin-open/params-server.perl line 17.

      What's wrong?!?!

      Chris Davies wrote:

      > 2001, "[SOAP] Retrieving Named Parameters on a SOAP::Lite Server").
      >
      > Sorry to have bothered you all
      > Chris

      Larry Mulcahy lmulcahy@...
      PGP public key at:
      http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2C4C5A03
    • Larry Mulcahy
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 26, 2001
        Hmm, it works when I rewrite my CGI script as a .pm module
        and have my mod_perl SOAP::Apache module dynamically load it.
        Is it possible to do this as a CGI script?

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 26, 2001
          Hi, Larry!

          Definitely. Put BEGIN {} block aroung package declaration:

          #!/usr/local/bin/perl

          use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;

          SOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI
          -> dispatch_to('PARAMS')
          -> handle;

          BEGIN {

          package PARAMS;

          use vars qw(@ISA);
          @ISA = qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters);

          sub ParamsTest
          {
          my($a, $b, $c) = @{pop->method}{qw(a b c)};
          return "a=$a, b=$b, c=$c";

          Inheritance (@ISA) doesn't work unless you declare module BEFORE
          usage or put it in BEGIN block. Important ONLY if your package
          declaration is in the same file where you use it. Hope it helps.

          Best wishes, Paul.

          --- Larry Mulcahy <lmulcahy@...> wrote:
          > Hmm, it works when I rewrite my CGI script as a .pm module
          > and have my mod_perl SOAP::Apache module dynamically load it.
          > Is it possible to do this as a CGI script?
          >
          > Larry Mulcahy wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm also trying to get named parameters to work.
          > > After looking at

          http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0104&L=soap&F=&S=&P=11652
          > > as well as the code in examples/parametersbyname.pl and
          > > examples/My/Parameters.pm I thought I understood what to do.
          > > The two attached files show my client and server code.
          > > The client fails with the message:
          > >
          > > $ ./params-client.perl
          > > Can't call method "method" without a package or object reference
          > at
          > > /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin-open/params-server.perl line 17.
          > >
          > > What's wrong?!?!
          >
          > --
          > Larry Mulcahy lmulcahy@...
          > PGP public key at:
          > http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2C4C5A03

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        • Larry Mulcahy
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 27, 2001
            Great, that works!

            Next question :(

            I would like to use SOAP::Lite to call a function with something
            like a list of records.

            I'd like to have the list or array named, and also have the
            elements of each record be named.

            Attached are another client and server test program. I don't
            know how to write the server. List-server.perl as written
            writes the following to the server's error log when invoked
            as a CGI application by list-client.perl, showing that it's
            keeping the parameter values but losing the names:

            222
            333
            111
            22
            33
            11

            Third attachment is a slightly tidied up capture of the
            XML request, showing that the a, b and c names are making it this
            far.

            Can this be done with SOAP::Lite?

            --
            Larry Mulcahy lmulcahy@...
            PGP public key at:
            http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2C4C5A03
          • Chris Davies
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 30, 2001

              Hi folks,

              Is it reasonable to provide a procedure that can handle arguments supplied either by name and by position? I can see one way of implementing this:

              package ByNameOrPos;

              use strict;
              use vars qw(@ISA);
              @ISA = qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters);

              sub ParamsTest
              {
                  my $self = shift @_;                        # Class
                  my $envelope = pop @_;                      # Envelope
                  my $argshash = $envelope->method;           # Args by name
                  my ($fruit, $vegetable, $meat) = @_;        # Args by pos

                  # Check to see whether args have been passed by name
                  my ($byName, $missing) = (0, 0);
                  foreach my $mandatory (qw(fruit vegetable meat)) {
                      $byName = 1 if exists $argshash->{$mandatory};
                      $missing = 1 if not exists $argshash->{$mandatory};
                  }
                  $missing = 0 unless $byName;

                  warn "byName=$byName, missing=$missing: fruit=$fruit, vegetable=$vegetable, meat=$meat; self=$self, envelope=$envelope, argshash=$argshash";

                  my $byName = join (", ", map { "$_ => $argshash->{$_}" } sort keys %$argshash);
                  my $byPosn = join (", ", @_);

                  return "Given ($byName) by name and ($byPosn) by position." .
                      ' Args ' . ($byName ? 'passed by name' : 'probably passed by position') . '.' .
                      ($missing ? ' Some mandatory parameters are missing.' : '');
              }

              Is there a more reliable or more elegant technique that I can use instead of this? For starters, my proposed solution breaks if there are no mandatory parameters against which to check.

              For completeness, here's how I call this from SOAPsh.pl:

              > ParamsTest('apple', 'spinach', 'chicken')
              --- SOAP RESULT ---
              'Given (c-gensym215 => apple, c-gensym217 => spinach, c-gensym219 => chicken) by name and (apple, spinach, chicken) by position. Args passed by name.'

              > ParamsTest(SOAP::Data->name(meat=>'beef'),SOAP::Data->name(fruit=>'apricot'),SOAP::Data->name(vegetable=>'carrot'))
              --- SOAP RESULT ---
              'Given (fruit => apricot, meat => beef, vegetable => carrot) by name and (beef, apricot, carrot) by position. Args passed by name.'

              ParamsTest(SOAP::Data->name(meat=>'beef'),SOAP::Data->name(fruit=>'apricot'))
              --- SOAP RESULT ---
              'Given (fruit => apricot, meat => beef) by name and (beef, apricot) by position. Args passed by name. Some mandatory parameters are missing.'

              I also would expect to have to massage the provided parameter names if something like MS .NET were to call this procedure with arguments by name, but in the interests of simplicity I'm ignoring that for now.

              Thanks,
              Chris

            • Chris Davies
              Message 6 of 26 , May 11, 2001
                Do I take it that everyone reckons it's a stupid requirement?

                Thanks,
                Chris

                Message 7 of 26 , May 11, 2001
                  * Chris Davies in "Re: Can the server process parameters by name?"
                  * dated 2001/05/11 17:47 wrote:

                  > Do I take it that everyone reckons it's a stupid requirement?

                  I have some methods that handle arguments by parameter (using
                  SOAP::SOM) as well as position. I only do this though so that I can
                  call some objects without going through SOAP (local SOAP objects?)

                  --
                  shaky cellar
                • Robert Barta
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 11, 2001
                    Chris Davies wrote:

                    > Do I take it that everyone reckons it's a stupid requirement?

                    I found this in my archive, maybe it helps:

                    \rho

                    -------------

                  • Chris Davies
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                      Are you able to share the approach? I've posted my offering - but it
                      requires that some parameters are mandatory so it can determine whether
                      names or positions have been used.

                      Message 10 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                        It may be a useful answer to some other question, but unfortunately it
                        doesn't answer my original posting. See
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/soaplite/message/271 if you like.

                        Cheers,
                        Chris

                        Paul Kulchenko wrote:

                        Definitely. Put BEGIN {} block aroung package declaration:

                        #!/usr/local/bin/perl

                        use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;

                        SOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI
                        -> dispatch_to('PARAMS')
                        -> handle;

                        BEGIN {

                        package PARAMS;

                        use vars qw(@ISA);
                        @ISA = qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters);

                        sub ParamsTest
                        {
                        my($a, $b, $c) = @{pop->method}{qw(a b c)};
                        return "a=$a, b=$b, c=$c";

                        Inheritance (@ISA) doesn't work unless you declare module BEFORE
                        usage or put it in BEGIN block. Important ONLY if your package
                        declaration is in the same file where you use it. Hope it helps.

                        Best wishes, Paul.

                        --- Larry Mulcahy <lmulcahy@...> wrote:
                        > Hmm, it works when I rewrite my CGI script as a .pm module
                        > and have my mod_perl SOAP::Apache module dynamically load it.
                        > Is it possible to do this as a CGI script?
                        >
                        > Larry Mulcahy wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I'm also trying to get named parameters to work.
                        > > After looking at

                        http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0104&L=soap&F=&S=&P=11652
                        > > as well as the code in examples/parametersbyname.pl and
                        > > examples/My/Parameters.pm I thought I understood what to do.
                        > > The two attached files show my client and server code.
                        > > The client fails with the message:
                        > >
                        > > $ ./params-client.perl
                        > > Can't call method "method" without a package or object reference
                        > at
                        > > /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin-open/params-server.perl line 17.
                        > >
                        > > What's wrong?!?!
                        >
                        > --
                        > Larry Mulcahy lmulcahy@...
                        > PGP public key at:
                        > http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2C4C5A03

                        > Subject: RE: [soaplite] Can the server process parameters by name?
                        >
                        > Hi folks,
                        > Is it reasonable to provide a procedure that can handle arguments supplied
                        > either by name and by position? I can see one way of implementing this
                        >
                        > [...snip...]

                      • Ashley Clark
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                          * Chris Davies in "Re: Re: Can the server process parameters by name?"
                          * dated 2001/05/14 09:46 wrote:

                          > Are you able to share the approach? I've posted my offering - but it
                          > requires that some parameters are mandatory so it can determine
                          > whether names or positions have been used.

                          Yes, but the reason I hesitated before was that I did not check for
                          whether they are passed by name or position (and I assume that if
                          coming as a SOAP object they are named). I think that you are concerned
                          with whether they come across the wire named vs. positional, correct?

                          --snip--
                          sub login {
                          my $self = shift;
                          my $som, $email, $pass;

                          if (ref($_[-1]) eq "SOAP::SOM") {
                          $som = pop;
                          ($email, $pass) = @{$som->method}{qw(email password)};
                          } else {
                          ($email, $pass) = @_;

                          return SOAP::Data->name('Result')->type('boolean' => 1);

                          hackers ally
                        • Chris Davies
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                            Hi Ashley

                            Yes, I'm trying to write a procedure that "does the right thing" depending
                            on whether the parameters are named or simply positional.

                            Unfortunately, it seems to me that your assumption (viz a SOAP object
                            implies named parameters) is incorrect. If you check the supplied parameters
                            to the subroutine you'll find that, once you've done a "@ISA =
                            qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters)", the parameter list will always have a
                            SOAP::SOM object at its end.

                            The only way I can see of solving this is to look for the mandatory
                            parameter names, and if you find any of them then assume the parameters have
                            been passed by name. Ugh!

                            Cheers,
                            Chris

                            Message 13 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                              * dated 2001/05/14 14:42 wrote:

                              > Unfortunately, it seems to me that your assumption (viz a SOAP object
                              > implies named parameters) is incorrect. If you check the supplied
                              > parameters to the subroutine you'll find that, once you've done a
                              > "@ISA = qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters)", the parameter list will always
                              > have a SOAP::SOM object at its end.

                              Yes, that is correct. I only recently understood exactly what you were
                              trying to do. Passing parameters by name is simply a requirement to use
                              our objects, so if there is an SOM object at the end then I know it is
                              either improperly formed (no named params) or contains the correct
                              list. I left out a little where I check for validity of parameters
                              passed, regardless of posit/name status.

                              > The only way I can see of solving this is to look for the mandatory
                              > parameter names, and if you find any of them then assume the
                              > parameters have been passed by name. Ugh!

                              Likewise.

                              --
                              really shack
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                                Hi, Ashley!

                                > > The only way I can see of solving this is to look for the
                                > mandatory
                                > > parameter names, and if you find any of them then assume the
                                > > parameters have been passed by name. Ugh!
                                >
                                > Likewise.
                                Right, and it seems to be general problem. I would like to include
                                methods, so you don't need to implement it yourself, like
                                paramsByOrder(@_), paramsByName(['a', 'b', 'c'], @_),
                                paramsByNameOrOrder(['a', 'b', 'c'], @_), which is the same as
                                paramsByName, but will also return parameters by order if there is NO
                                ONE parameter with specified name.

                                In your code you can decide do you want to continue if you have onle
                                one parameter instead of three or die.

                                Another option might be to add description to your method which says
                                that "I'm accepting parameters with names, 'a', 'b' and 'c'", so SOAP
                                processor will take care about passing parameters in this particular
                                order, and you get them by-order, because they already arranged for
                                you. Don't promise it in the next version, but I'm working on it.

                                Best wishes, Paul.

                                --- Ashley Clark <aclark@...> wrote:
                                > * Chris Davies in "Re: Re: Can the server process parameters by
                                > name?"
                                > * dated 2001/05/14 14:42 wrote:
                                >
                                > > Unfortunately, it seems to me that your assumption (viz a SOAP
                                > object
                                > > implies named parameters) is incorrect. If you check the supplied
                                > > parameters to the subroutine you'll find that, once you've done a
                                > > "@ISA = qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters)", the parameter list will
                                > always
                                > > have a SOAP::SOM object at its end.
                                >
                                > Yes, that is correct. I only recently understood exactly what you
                                > were
                                > trying to do. Passing parameters by name is simply a requirement to
                                > use
                                > our objects, so if there is an SOM object at the end then I know it
                                > is
                                > either improperly formed (no named params) or contains the correct
                                > list. I left out a little where I check for validity of parameters
                                > passed, regardless of posit/name status.
                                >
                                > > The only way I can see of solving this is to look for the
                                > mandatory
                                > > parameter names, and if you find any of them then assume the
                                > > parameters have been passed by name. Ugh!
                                >
                                > Likewise.
                                >
                                > --
                                > really shack

                                http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                              • Chris Davies
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                                  Actually that quote was from me, but no matter. Thanks for the update

                                  Regards,
                                  Chris

                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 14, 2001
                                    Hi, Chris!

                                    --- In soaplite@y..., "Chris Davies" <Chris.Davies@M...> wrote:
                                    > Is it reasonable to provide a procedure that can handle arguments
                                    > supplied either by name and by position?
                                    Truly only you can decide. How it happens usually: you write server
                                    and advertise methods and parameters, so everybody can use it. If
                                    your parameters have names, client should specify it in request. But,
                                    you can also ALLOW them to have a choice:
                                    1. You can call this method with NAMED parameters in ANY order or
                                    2. You can call this method with ORDERED parameters in SPECIFIED order

                                    Then all that you need to do is check for presence of NAMED
                                    parameters and if there is no single one (with names you're looking
                                    for), get them by-order. In my understanding you have three choices:
                                    by-order, by-name and by-name-or-by-order. You did it right, but I
                                    think it should be included in the library, so you don't need to
                                    duplicate this code in your methods. Does it answer your question?
                                    BTW, there is no consensus on soapbuilders list on should by-order
                                    parameters be allowed or not. I personally think they should, but I
                                    represent minority in this aspect :).

                                    Best wishes, Paul.

                                    P.S. as far as I understand there is no need to check for
                                    mandatory/optional parameters in paramByName.

                                  • One4K4
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                      Maybe an option would be to have little "wrapper" subroutines:

                                      sub byposGetAcctNumber {
                                      my $self = shift;
                                      my ($name,$ss) = @_;
                                      GetAcctNumber(name=>$name,ss=>$ss);
                                      }

                                      sub bynameGetAcctNumber {
                                      my $self = shift;
                                      my $args = (@_);
                                      GetAcctNumber(name=>$args{name},ss=>$args{ss});
                                      }

                                      ? Just my $0.02;

                                      -Tom

                                      --- In soaplite@y..., "Chris Davies" <Chris.Davies@M...> wrote:
                                      > Actually that quote was from me, but no matter. Thanks for the
                                      update

                                      > Regards,
                                      > Chris

                                    • Keanan Smith
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                        Err shouldn't that be:

                                        sub bynameGetAcctNumber {
                                        my $self = shift;
                                        my %args = (@_);
                                        GetAcctNumber(name=>$args{name},ss=>$args{ss});
                                        }

                                        (Note the % on the 1st args)
                                        ??

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                          Yes, yes it should. I'm left handed. ;)

                                          --- In soaplite@y..., Keanan Smith <KSmith@n...> wrote:
                                          > Err shouldn't that be:
                                          >
                                          > sub bynameGetAcctNumber {
                                          > my $self = shift;
                                          > my %args = (@_);
                                          > GetAcctNumber(name=>$args{name},ss=>$args{ss});
                                          > }
                                          >
                                          > (Note the % on the 1st args)
                                          > ??

                                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                        • One4K4
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                            From the SOAP::Lite pod docs:
                                            Every method on server side will be called as class/object method, so
                                            it will get an object reference or a class name as the first
                                            parameter, then the method parameters, and then an envelope as
                                            SOAP::SOM object. Shortly:

                                            $self [, @parameters] , $envelope

                                            If you have a fixed number of parameters, you can do:

                                            my $self = shift;
                                            my($param1, $param2) = @_;

                                            and ignore the envelope. If you need access to the envelope you can
                                            do:

                                            my $envelope = pop;

                                            since the envelope is always the last element in the parameters list.
                                            The byname() method pop->method will return a hash with parameter
                                            names as hash keys and parameter values as hash values:

                                            my($a, $b, $c) = @{pop->method}{qw(a b c)};

                                            gives you by-name access to your parameters.

                                            my($a, $b, $c) = @{pop->method}{qw(a b c)};
                                            I've tried that... but for some reason there is *no envelope* at the
                                            end of @_ ?!

                                            -Tom

                                            --- In soaplite@y..., "Chris Davies" <Chris.Davies@M...> wrote:
                                            > I'm using a SOAP::Lite server with version 0.46 of SOAP::Lite.
                                            >
                                            > My colleagues in a.n.other company want to use named parameters
                                            (rather than
                                            > positional ones) to talk to my SOAP::Lite server. They are using
                                            MS .NET,
                                            > and we're around most of the interoperability issues now. Is it
                                            easy for a
                                            > SOAP::Lite server to handle named parameters, and if so how do I
                                            approach
                                            > the problem?
                                            >
                                            > Thanks,
                                            > Chris
                                            > --
                                            > Chris Davies, Manheim Interactive (Europe)
                                            > Tel. 0870 444-0450 Fax. 0870 444-0482 Email. MOL@M...
                                          • One4K4
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                              FYI: You need:

                                              package Foo;
                                              @Foo::ISA = 'SOAP::Server::Parameters';

                                              At the top of your package declration. *If* you're dynamically/non-
                                              statically dispatching.

                                              -Tom

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                                "You will get this functionality ONLY if you inherit your class from the
                                                SOAP::Server::Parameters class. This should keep existing code working and
                                                provides this feature only when you need it."

                                                I think this may be what you are looking for...

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                                  Yeap, that did it... consider:

                                                  package DocPub;
                                                  @DocPub::ISA = 'SOAP::Server::Parameters';

                                                  Which solved my problem, using the pod doc's code sample.

                                                  Thanks!

                                                  -Tom

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jun 13, 2002
                                                    Hi, Tom!

                                                    There are also byName and byNameOrOrder functions (Randy Ray made a
                                                    great suggestion to make them methods instead of functions) in
                                                    SOAP::Server::Parameters class that allow you to do this:

                                                    my $self = shift;
                                                    my($a, $b, $c) = SOAP::Server::Parameters::byName([qw(a b c)], @_);

                                                    Take a look at \examples\My\Parameters.pm for more details.

                                                    Best wishes, Paul.

                                                    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com