Can you use more than one transport method in a server.

  • yudansha1
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2003
      I'm trying to add some redundancy to an application and want my
      server-side application to accept http, ftp, and smtp requests. Can I
      do this in one application or should I have 3 different listeners that
      all call the same code?

      Thanks.

      Steve
    • Randy J. Ray
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 18, 2003
        On 2003.03.18 11:42 yudansha1 wrote:
        > I'm trying to add some redundancy to an application and want my
        > server-side application to accept http, ftp, and smtp requests. Can I
        > do this in one application or should I have 3 different listeners that
        > all call the same code?

        For now, you would be best off to write the core code as a module, and write
        the three listeners as separate applications. Some of the transport server
        classes go into standard select/accept loops (in which they poll the socket
        for pending connections, essentially looping infinately until interrupted),
        others expect to be called explicitly for each connection. In the HTTP arena,
        for example, SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon loops while
        SOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI is called on a per-request basis.

        If you are using a threaded Perl (5.8.0 or later), you could also do this with
        separate threads.

        Randy
        --
        rjray@... http://www.rjray.org http://www.svsm.org

        Any spammers auto-extracting addresses from this message will definitely want
        to include uce@... and report@...