Sigh. MS .NET doesn't like "charset=utf-8"

  • Chris Davies
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2001
      OK, so I've just upgraded from 0.46 to 0.50 (thanks for the continuing
      development, Paul).

      Unfortunately, I now get a fault for every SOAP request I issue from my
      SOAP::Lite client to the MS .NET server with which I'm trying to
      communicate. Basically, it doesn't like the content type header:

      System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server found request content
      type to be 'text/xml; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'.
      at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapServerProtocol.ReadParameters()
      at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandler.Invoke()
      at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandler.CoreProcessRequest()

      I can see from the documentation that I can change the label provided in the
      charset parameter, but is there any way either
      * to persuade the MS .NET software to stop complaining about a valid
      string?
      * to remove the charset parameter completely (short of my hacking our
      installed SOAP::Lite module)?

      Thanks,
      Chris

      PS. Is this mailing list archived & searchable anywhere?
      --
      Chris Davies, Manheim Interactive (Europe)
      Tel. 0870 444-0450 Fax. 0870 444-0482 Email. MOL@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2001
        Hi, Chris!

        > Unfortunately, I now get a fault for every SOAP request I issue
        > from my
        > SOAP::Lite client to the MS .NET server with which I'm trying to
        > communicate. Basically, it doesn't like the content type header:
        Yes, quite possible. Though Microsoft updates their toolkits pretty
        quick and new versions will work fine with charset, some old version
        may fail. To make it work you may use
        $SOAP::Constants::DO_NOT_USE_CHARSET = 1;
        somewhere before actual call (but after use SOAP::Lite).

        Take a look into INTEROPERABILITY section in README where this
        situation described or in t/21-public.t.

        You may also write handler for HTTP request/response and fix whatever
        you want, but you don't need it in this case.

        > PS. Is this mailing list archived & searchable anywhere?
        Yes, on yahoo.com. groups.yahoo.com/group/soaplite

        Best wishes, Paul.

        --- Chris Davies <Chris.Davies@...> wrote:
        > OK, so I've just upgraded from 0.46 to 0.50 (thanks for the
        > continuing
        > development, Paul).
        >
        > Unfortunately, I now get a fault for every SOAP request I issue
        > from my
        > SOAP::Lite client to the MS .NET server with which I'm trying to
        > communicate. Basically, it doesn't like the content type header:
        >
        > System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server found request
        > content
        > type to be 'text/xml; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'.
        > at
        > System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapServerProtocol.ReadParameters()
        > at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandler.Invoke()
        > at

        System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandler.CoreProcessRequest()

        > I can see from the documentation that I can change the label
        > provided in the
        > charset parameter, but is there any way either
        > * to persuade the MS .NET software to stop complaining about a
        > valid
        > string?
        > * to remove the charset parameter completely (short of my
        > hacking our
        > installed SOAP::Lite module)?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Chris
        >
        > PS. Is this mailing list archived & searchable anywhere?
        > --
        > Chris Davies, Manheim Interactive (Europe)
        > Tel. 0870 444-0450 Fax. 0870 444-0482 Email.
        > MOL@...

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • Chris Davies
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 26, 2001
          Excellent. This works a dream, thank you very much!
          Chris