RE: [soaplite] variable host names and port numbers

  • Dan Muey
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 29, 2003
      Thanks I'll give that a go and see how it does!

    • Keanan Smith

      • fulkohew <fulkohew@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 30, 2003
          > A better way to do it would be:
          >
          > our ($host, $port);
          > BEGIN {
          > $host = 'localhost';
          > $port = 2000;
          > }

          Thanks! That indeed works. I had tried everything under the sun, but
          I had forgotten about the scopping issue with the braces, so I tried
          making them main package scopped using $::host, then I my'ed them, but
          the real answer is to use 'our'.

          So then I thought I'd have them out in a file I'd 'require' in so I
          could have the same definition file for both client and server apps

          But you'd have to put the require into a BEGIN block and that
          effectively puts the 'our' into a nested begin block, and then we're
          back to where we started from. :-(

          As for:

          use strict;
          use warnings;

          Yes, of course, but I was trying to give the shortest possible
          snippet of code, but...

          If I use warnings, then every class method invoked as a remote call
          generates a warning msg:

          Use of inherited AUTOLOAD for non-method Child::get_count() is
          deprecated at ./client line 45.

          Comments?
        • Sean.Meisner@VerizonWireless.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 30, 2003
            What version of Perl are you using, on what OS?

            I'm not seeing that behaviour in the autodispatching client I
            run on Linux and Solaris, using 5.6.1 and 5.6.0 respectively.

            Cheers,

            Sean

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 30, 2003
              --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, Sean.Meisner@V... wrote:

              > What version of Perl are you using, on what OS?
              >
              > I'm not seeing that behaviour in the autodispatching client I
              > run on Linux and Solaris, using 5.6.1 and 5.6.0 respectively.

              I'm currently developing on 5.6.1 on Linux (RedHat 7.2)
              I'll try to get and post another code snippet to show as an example.

              ... snip ...

            • quinn@fetter.org
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 30, 2003
                On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 02:50:57PM -0000, fulkohew <fulkohew@...> wrote:

                > If I use warnings, then every class method invoked as a remote call
                > generates a warning msg:
                >
                > Use of inherited AUTOLOAD for non-method Child::get_count() is
                > deprecated at ./client line 45.

                The problem is that autodispatch relies on AUTOLOAD. If a function or
                method can't be found in your local code, SOAP::Lite's AUTOLOAD gets
                invoked and sends it as a SOAP call. However, the use of AUTOLOAD for
                vanilla subroutines (as opposed to methods) is deprecated as of Perl
                5.6.

                Luckily, Perl 5.6 introduces different "classes" of warnings, so you can
                selectively turn off deprecated warnings like this:

                use warnings;
                #Don't warn me about the use of AUTOLOAD for non-method subroutines,
                #because SOAP::Lite's autodispatch depends on that "accidental feature"
                no warnings "deprecated";
                use strict;

                That's what I do in my code, which is running in Perl 5.6.1 on Solaris.
                An unfortunate side effect is that you won't see warnings for any other
                deprecated features, either. :(

                I understand that Perl 5.8 actually does away with this behavior of AUTOLOAD
                --that is, it invokes AUTOLOAD only when dispatching methods, not when
                "dispatching" or resolving regular subroutines. Does anyone know how
                SOAP::Lite works around this?

                ---
                qw (Quinn Weaver); #President, San Francisco Perl Mongers
                =for information, visit http://sf.pm.org/ =cut