RE: [soaplite] variable host names and port numbers

  • Keanan Smith
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 29, 2003
      Heh, so me and Sean.Meisner were discussing how this example could be fixed
      up to work with 'use strict' basically the crux of the issue is that
      $host and $port are global variables, but under 'use strict' you need to
      either fully-qualify all global variable names (I.e. change them all to
      $main::host and $main::port) or have the variable be under the influence of
      an 'our' (Which is the equivalent of a 'my' but for global variables)
      The simplest and cleanest way is probably:

      use strict;
      our ($host,$port);
      BEGIN {
      $host = 'localhost';
      $port = 2000;
      }
      use SOAP::Lite
      +autodispatch =>
      uri => 'http://wecan.com/',
      proxy => "tcp://localhost:2000", # <--- works
      #proxy => "tcp://$host:$port", # <--- NO work
      on_fault => sub {
      my($soap, $res) = @_;
      die ref $res ? $res->faultdetail :
      $soap->transport->status, "\n";
      };

      Which is odd, because the 'our' keyword is *outside* the BEGIN block, and
      you would think that would imply that the 'our' would only happen at
      run-time, so you would be back to square 1, but 'our' (and 'my' for that
      matter) happen at compile-time (weirdly, but it's obvious that scope
      definitions need to happen at compile-time if you think about it)

      To make things even slightly more obfuscated
      use strict;
      BEGIN {
      our ($host,$port);
      $host = 'localhost';
      $port = 2000;
      }

      Breaks, because the 'our' is trying to be lexically scoped inside of the
      BEGIN block, meaning the variables in question should be imported into it
      (Which is nonsensical in this context, but nevertheless that's what's
      expected by 'use strict') (And to boot, the $host and $port used later on
      aren't under the influence of the 'our' because they fall outside of it's
      scope, weird eh?)

      Anyway, 'use strict' is often times too strict for the casual Perl user
      (Which many of the people who post to this group are) and I think we're
      getting a little carried away with details that most people won't care a bit
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 29, 2003
        I have a quick question about a SOPA::Lite Server.

        Is therea way to set variables for the whole package so that they can be used by any subroutine?

        Example ::

        package JoeMama;

        my $user = $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'};
        my ($this, $that, $the_other) = set_defaults($user);

        sub hello {
        return "$the_other is $this";
        }

        sub goodbye {
        return "$this is $that";
        }

        sub set_defaults {

        Blah blah blah
        }

        So that when they call the routines they can use those vars without me having to set them each time within the routine.

        IE

        sub hello {
        my $user = $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'};
        my ($this, $that, $the_other) = set_defaults($user);
        return "$the_other is $this";
        }

        sub goodbye {
        my $user = $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'};
        my ($this, $that, $the_other) = set_defaults($user);
        return "$this is $that";
        }

        This will work it's just harder to manage a package that may have 50 routines in it. That'd be 100 lines of code in the second example vs. 2 lines in the top example or at least 50 if you made it into a single line call.

        I could have the client call a routine to set them and then pass them to each routine called after that but that too would be more overhead and make more room for errors.

        Thanks!

        Dan
      • Dan Muey
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 29, 2003
          Thanks I'll give that a go and see how it does!

        • Keanan Smith

          • fulkohew <fulkohew@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 30, 2003
              > A better way to do it would be:
              >
              > our ($host, $port);
              > BEGIN {
              > $host = 'localhost';
              > $port = 2000;
              > }

              Thanks! That indeed works. I had tried everything under the sun, but
              I had forgotten about the scopping issue with the braces, so I tried
              making them main package scopped using $::host, then I my'ed them, but
              the real answer is to use 'our'.

              So then I thought I'd have them out in a file I'd 'require' in so I
              could have the same definition file for both client and server apps

              But you'd have to put the require into a BEGIN block and that
              effectively puts the 'our' into a nested begin block, and then we're
              back to where we started from. :-(

              As for:

              use strict;
              use warnings;

              Yes, of course, but I was trying to give the shortest possible
              snippet of code, but...

              If I use warnings, then every class method invoked as a remote call
              generates a warning msg:

              Use of inherited AUTOLOAD for non-method Child::get_count() is
              deprecated at ./client line 45.

              Comments?
            • Sean.Meisner@VerizonWireless.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 30, 2003
                What version of Perl are you using, on what OS?

                I'm not seeing that behaviour in the autodispatching client I
                run on Linux and Solaris, using 5.6.1 and 5.6.0 respectively.

                Cheers,

                Sean

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 30, 2003
                  --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, Sean.Meisner@V... wrote:

                  > What version of Perl are you using, on what OS?
                  >
                  > I'm not seeing that behaviour in the autodispatching client I
                  > run on Linux and Solaris, using 5.6.1 and 5.6.0 respectively.

                  I'm currently developing on 5.6.1 on Linux (RedHat 7.2)
                  I'll try to get and post another code snippet to show as an example.

                  ... snip ...

                • quinn@fetter.org
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 30, 2003
                    On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 02:50:57PM -0000, fulkohew <fulkohew@...> wrote:

                    > If I use warnings, then every class method invoked as a remote call
                    > generates a warning msg:
                    >
                    > Use of inherited AUTOLOAD for non-method Child::get_count() is
                    > deprecated at ./client line 45.

                    The problem is that autodispatch relies on AUTOLOAD. If a function or
                    method can't be found in your local code, SOAP::Lite's AUTOLOAD gets
                    invoked and sends it as a SOAP call. However, the use of AUTOLOAD for
                    vanilla subroutines (as opposed to methods) is deprecated as of Perl
                    5.6.

                    Luckily, Perl 5.6 introduces different "classes" of warnings, so you can
                    selectively turn off deprecated warnings like this:

                    use warnings;
                    #Don't warn me about the use of AUTOLOAD for non-method subroutines,
                    #because SOAP::Lite's autodispatch depends on that "accidental feature"
                    no warnings "deprecated";
                    use strict;

                    That's what I do in my code, which is running in Perl 5.6.1 on Solaris.
                    An unfortunate side effect is that you won't see warnings for any other
                    deprecated features, either. :(

                    I understand that Perl 5.8 actually does away with this behavior of AUTOLOAD
                    --that is, it invokes AUTOLOAD only when dispatching methods, not when
                    "dispatching" or resolving regular subroutines. Does anyone know how
                    SOAP::Lite works around this?

                    ---
                    qw (Quinn Weaver); #President, San Francisco Perl Mongers
                    =for information, visit http://sf.pm.org/ =cut