RE: [soaplite] variable host names and port numbers

  • Sean.Meisner@VerizonWireless.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 29, 2003
      Whoops, I didn't escape one of the lines in that
      example properly:

      Change

      proxy => "tcp://\$host:\$port",

      proxy => \"tcp://$host:$port\",

      Cheers,

      Sean

    • Dan Muey
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 29, 2003

        > Why can't I programatically define the host name and port
        > number? Statically it works, but dynamically I get the error:
        >
        > IO::Socket::INET: Bad hostname ':'
        >
        > -------- snip ----------
        >
        > #!/usr/bin/perl
        >
        > $host = 'localhost';
        > $port = 2000;
        >
        > use SOAP::Lite
        > +autodispatch =>
        > uri => 'http://wecan.com/',
        > proxy => "tcp://localhost:2000", # <--- works
        > #proxy => "tcp://$host:$port", # <--- NO work
        > on_fault => sub {
        > my($soap, $res) = @_;
        > die ref $res ? $res->faultdetail :
        > $soap->transport->status, "\n";
        > };

        I do this and it works for me :

        my $soap = SOAP::Lite
        -> uri("http://www.simplemood.com/Uri_$uri_prxy")
        -> proxy("$http_prot\://$domain/$uri_prxy.cgi")
        -> on_fault(sub { my($soap, $res) = @_;
        die ref $res ? $res->faultdetail :
        $soap->transport->status, "\n";
        });

        Only difference is I'm not doing autodispatch and I used ()
        instead of => which you may have to with autodispatch.
        Also I'm doing http and tcp.
        Not sure if any of those differences matter or not but that code works perfect for me.

        Dan

        > my $child1 = Child->new('Fulko');

      • Keanan Smith
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 29, 2003
          A better way to do it would be:

          BEGIN {
          $host = 'localhost';
          $port = 2000;
          }
          use SOAP::Lite
          +autodispatch =>
          uri => 'http://wecan.com/',
          proxy => "tcp://localhost:2000", # <--- works
          #proxy => "tcp://$host:$port", # <--- NO work
          on_fault => sub {
          my($soap, $res) = @_;
          die ref $res ? $res->faultdetail :
          $soap->transport->status, "\n";
          };

          That way your 'use' still happens at compile time (And compile-time errors
          are still caught at compile time), and the BEGIN block specifies that the
          host and port definition happen at compile time, before the 'use'

          Dan's example is a completely different approach, which is not using
          autodispatch, and is using the object oriented soap (Which means the SOAP
          pacakge gets compiled at compile time, but the proxy/port etc are done
          through methods at run time, rather than as arguments at compile time, and
          as a side effect, all of his definitions are local to his '$soap' object,
          whereas fulkohew is specifying defaults for *all* soap calls, the two are
          apples and oranges (Although yes, you have to use -> for method calls and =>
          to seperate arguments (Or alternately a comma))

          The eval method is one that works, but using evals unnessecarily is slower,
          and prone to bad quoting problems, there are good reasons to use evals, like
          when something that must be compiled isn't known at compile time, but
          overall, it's best to leave compile time tasks to their proper location :)

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 29, 2003
            Now personally I don't like this approach because I like to put
            "use strict" as the first line after my shebang in every new perl
            file I start. This approach with the BEGIN violates strictures so
            you have to be sure to place the "use strict" after the "use SOAP::Lite".

            Generally I am suspicious of things that violate strictures. Not
            to say that this is an invalid way to do it, just that I personally
            wouldn't do it that way. I think the performance penalty of a single
            eval is negligible and to my mind the eval code is more "correct" as it
            does not violate strictures. Now if this snippet were in a loop somehow,
            you might see a noticable performance hit and in that case I would be more
            open to doing it without using eval.

            But I also see your point about the eval being prone to quoting problems :o)

            Cheers,

            Sean

          • fulkohew <fulkohew@yahoo.com>

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 29, 2003
                Heh, so me and Sean.Meisner were discussing how this example could be fixed
                up to work with 'use strict' basically the crux of the issue is that
                $host and $port are global variables, but under 'use strict' you need to
                either fully-qualify all global variable names (I.e. change them all to
                $main::host and $main::port) or have the variable be under the influence of
                an 'our' (Which is the equivalent of a 'my' but for global variables)
                The simplest and cleanest way is probably:

                use strict;
                our ($host,$port);
                BEGIN {
                $host = 'localhost';
                $port = 2000;
                }
                use SOAP::Lite
                +autodispatch =>
                uri => 'http://wecan.com/',
                proxy => "tcp://localhost:2000", # <--- works
                #proxy => "tcp://$host:$port", # <--- NO work
                on_fault => sub {
                my($soap, $res) = @_;
                die ref $res ? $res->faultdetail :
                $soap->transport->status, "\n";
                };

                Which is odd, because the 'our' keyword is *outside* the BEGIN block, and
                you would think that would imply that the 'our' would only happen at
                run-time, so you would be back to square 1, but 'our' (and 'my' for that
                matter) happen at compile-time (weirdly, but it's obvious that scope
                definitions need to happen at compile-time if you think about it)

                To make things even slightly more obfuscated
                use strict;
                BEGIN {
                our ($host,$port);
                $host = 'localhost';
                $port = 2000;
                }

                Breaks, because the 'our' is trying to be lexically scoped inside of the
                BEGIN block, meaning the variables in question should be imported into it
                (Which is nonsensical in this context, but nevertheless that's what's
                expected by 'use strict') (And to boot, the $host and $port used later on
                aren't under the influence of the 'our' because they fall outside of it's
                scope, weird eh?)

                Anyway, 'use strict' is often times too strict for the casual Perl user
                (Which many of the people who post to this group are) and I think we're
                getting a little carried away with details that most people won't care a bit

                > Why can't I programatically define the host name and port
                > number? Statically it works, but dynamically I get the error:
                >
                > IO::Socket::INET: Bad hostname ':'
                >
                > -------- snip ----------
                >
                > #!/usr/bin/perl
                >
                > $host = 'localhost';
                > $port = 2000;
                >
                > use SOAP::Lite
                > +autodispatch =>
                > uri => 'http://wecan.com/',
                > proxy => "tcp://localhost:2000", # <--- works
                > #proxy => "tcp://$host:$port", # <--- NO work
                > on_fault => sub {
                > my($soap, $res) = @_;
                > die ref $res ? $res->faultdetail :
                > $soap->transport->status, "\n";
                > };

                I do this and it works for me :

                my $soap = SOAP::Lite
                -> uri("http://www.simplemood.com/Uri_$uri_prxy")
                -> proxy("$http_prot\://$domain/$uri_prxy.cgi")
                -> on_fault(sub { my($soap, $res) = @_;
                die ref $res ? $res->faultdetail :
                $soap->transport->status, "\n";
                });

                Only difference is I'm not doing autodispatch and I used ()
                instead of => which you may have to with autodispatch.
                Also I'm doing http and tcp.
                Not sure if any of those differences matter or not but that code works
                perfect for me.

                Dan

                > my $child1 = Child->new('Fulko');

              • Dan Muey
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 29, 2003
                  I have a quick question about a SOPA::Lite Server.

                  Is therea way to set variables for the whole package so that they can be used by any subroutine?

                  Example ::

                  package JoeMama;

                  my $user = $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'};
                  my ($this, $that, $the_other) = set_defaults($user);

                  sub hello {
                  return "$the_other is $this";
                  }

                  sub goodbye {
                  return "$this is $that";
                  }

                  sub set_defaults {

                  Blah blah blah
                  }

                  So that when they call the routines they can use those vars without me having to set them each time within the routine.

                  IE

                  sub hello {
                  my $user = $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'};
                  my ($this, $that, $the_other) = set_defaults($user);
                  return "$the_other is $this";
                  }

                  sub goodbye {
                  my $user = $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'};
                  my ($this, $that, $the_other) = set_defaults($user);
                  return "$this is $that";
                  }

                  This will work it's just harder to manage a package that may have 50 routines in it. That'd be 100 lines of code in the second example vs. 2 lines in the top example or at least 50 if you made it into a single line call.

                  I could have the client call a routine to set them and then pass them to each routine called after that but that too would be more overhead and make more room for errors.

                  Thanks!

                  Dan
                • Dan Muey
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 29, 2003
                    Thanks I'll give that a go and see how it does!

                  • Keanan Smith

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 30, 2003
                        > A better way to do it would be:
                        >
                        > our ($host, $port);
                        > BEGIN {
                        > $host = 'localhost';
                        > $port = 2000;
                        > }

                        Thanks! That indeed works. I had tried everything under the sun, but
                        I had forgotten about the scopping issue with the braces, so I tried
                        making them main package scopped using $::host, then I my'ed them, but
                        the real answer is to use 'our'.

                        So then I thought I'd have them out in a file I'd 'require' in so I
                        could have the same definition file for both client and server apps

                        But you'd have to put the require into a BEGIN block and that
                        effectively puts the 'our' into a nested begin block, and then we're
                        back to where we started from. :-(

                        As for:

                        use strict;
                        use warnings;

                        Yes, of course, but I was trying to give the shortest possible
                        snippet of code, but...

                        If I use warnings, then every class method invoked as a remote call
                        generates a warning msg:

                        Use of inherited AUTOLOAD for non-method Child::get_count() is
                        deprecated at ./client line 45.

                        Comments?
                      • Sean.Meisner@VerizonWireless.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 30, 2003
                          What version of Perl are you using, on what OS?

                          I'm not seeing that behaviour in the autodispatching client I
                          run on Linux and Solaris, using 5.6.1 and 5.6.0 respectively.

                          Cheers,

                          Sean

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 30, 2003
                            --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, Sean.Meisner@V... wrote:

                            > What version of Perl are you using, on what OS?
                            >
                            > I'm not seeing that behaviour in the autodispatching client I
                            > run on Linux and Solaris, using 5.6.1 and 5.6.0 respectively.

                            I'm currently developing on 5.6.1 on Linux (RedHat 7.2)
                            I'll try to get and post another code snippet to show as an example.

                            ... snip ...

                          • quinn@fetter.org
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 30, 2003
                              On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 02:50:57PM -0000, fulkohew <fulkohew@...> wrote:

                              > If I use warnings, then every class method invoked as a remote call
                              > generates a warning msg:
                              >
                              > Use of inherited AUTOLOAD for non-method Child::get_count() is
                              > deprecated at ./client line 45.

                              The problem is that autodispatch relies on AUTOLOAD. If a function or
                              method can't be found in your local code, SOAP::Lite's AUTOLOAD gets
                              invoked and sends it as a SOAP call. However, the use of AUTOLOAD for
                              vanilla subroutines (as opposed to methods) is deprecated as of Perl
                              5.6.

                              Luckily, Perl 5.6 introduces different "classes" of warnings, so you can
                              selectively turn off deprecated warnings like this:

                              use warnings;
                              #Don't warn me about the use of AUTOLOAD for non-method subroutines,
                              #because SOAP::Lite's autodispatch depends on that "accidental feature"
                              no warnings "deprecated";
                              use strict;

                              That's what I do in my code, which is running in Perl 5.6.1 on Solaris.
                              An unfortunate side effect is that you won't see warnings for any other
                              deprecated features, either. :(

                              I understand that Perl 5.8 actually does away with this behavior of AUTOLOAD
                              --that is, it invokes AUTOLOAD only when dispatching methods, not when
                              "dispatching" or resolving regular subroutines. Does anyone know how
                              SOAP::Lite works around this?

                              ---
                              qw (Quinn Weaver); #President, San Francisco Perl Mongers
                              =for information, visit http://sf.pm.org/ =cut