on_action handler

  • Chris Davies
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2001
      I'm using a SOAP::Lite client with version 0.46 of SOAP::Lite.

      If I want to talk to MS .NET, I need to hack around the on_action handler as
      described in your documentation, i.e.
      on_action => sub { join '', @_ }
      If I want to talk to another SOAP::Lite server, I must remove this on_action
      handler.

      Can you explain this apparent interoperability, please?

      Thanks,
      Chris
      --
      Chris Davies, Manheim Interactive (Europe)
      Tel. 0870 444-0450 Fax. 0870 444-0482 Email. MOL@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 25, 2001
        Hi, Chris!

        You are right. You need to do it. Interoperability it's an ability to
        talk to different services/toolkits and understand their report. If
        your client is able to emit only FIXED SOAPAction then you are out of
        luck to talk to someone who is required specific form of SOAPAction
        (server is ruling here). So, SOAP::Lite give you and ability to
        change it according to server's preferences. If you build your client
        from service description then it could be done automatically,
        otherwise you need to specify it in you code, as you do with method,
        parameters and URL.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        --- Chris Davies <Chris.Davies@...> wrote:
        > I'm using a SOAP::Lite client with version 0.46 of SOAP::Lite.
        >
        > If I want to talk to MS .NET, I need to hack around the on_action
        > handler as
        > described in your documentation, i.e.
        > on_action => sub { join '', @_ }
        > If I want to talk to another SOAP::Lite server, I must remove this
        > on_action
        > handler.
        >
        > Can you explain this apparent interoperability, please?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Chris
        > --
        > Chris Davies, Manheim Interactive (Europe)
        > Tel. 0870 444-0450 Fax. 0870 444-0482 Email.
        > MOL@...

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • Chris Davies
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 25, 2001
          Fine. I'll add it to my database table as one of the dynamic parameters :-)

          On the subject of interoperability (or the lack of it), I'm a bit puzzled
          about rounding errors with floating point numbers. As I understand it, XML
          requires data items to be transmitted in ASCII text (I know about base64,
          but I think it's a red herring here). This means that floating point numbers
          will potentially lose accuracy when converted from internal binary
          representation into ASCII text and back again and the remote end.

          Is this assumption true, and if so how would one get around the problem? Sun
          RPC appeared to have solved this years ago. Is SOAP a case of "not invented
          here"?

          Cheers,

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 25, 2001
            Hi, Chris!

            You're right, and that is one of the hot topics on soapbuilders list.
            My take on this is simple: SOAP layer should be as much transparent
            as possible, so I'm not doing any data transformations if possible,
            and even if I'm doing something, you'll know about it. As for floats,
            I'll give it to you EXACTLY as it was on wire, so it's up to you, how
            to deal with it and with accuracy. The same thing is true for
            messages you send: I'm sending it as it, without conversion with
            sprinf or somehow else. Any comments and ideas how to do it better
            will be appreciated.

            Only problem with base64 I see is that other toolkits handle it as a
            specific type, and SOAP::Lite basically handles it as an encoding
            (like Content-Encoding). So, with SOAP::Lite on both sides you can
            send alsmost any simple type encoded as base64 and it'll be properly
            decoded, but other toolkits may handle it differently. echoBase64
            test was added yesterday to interp matrix, so in a couple of days
            we'll see the results.

            http://auctions.yahoo.com/