Password contains "#"

  • davent <stuff_98@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2003
      Hi. I seem to have found a bug, but maybe someone has an answer.

      If I'm sending an RPC call to a HTTP server that is
      username/password protected, the call fails if the password contains
      a pound (#) symbol.

      For example, if I call:

      Username: foo
      Password: a1#bcd34

      my $lite = SOAP::Lite -> proxy ("https://foo:a1#bcd34
      \@.../soap");

      I receive the following error message:

      ... Can't connect to foo:a1:443 (Bad hostname 'foo:a1') ...

      Its almost like the '#' is being interpreted as a comment somewhere
      in the SOAP::Lite library. Which sorta makes sense, if you think
      about it.

      Anyone have any ideas?

      TIA...
    • Dougal Campbell
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 17, 2003
        On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, davent <stuff_98@...> wrote:

        > Hi. I seem to have found a bug, but maybe someone has an answer.
        >
        > If I'm sending an RPC call to a HTTP server that is
        > username/password protected, the call fails if the password contains
        > a pound (#) symbol.
        >
        > For example, if I call:
        >
        > Username: foo
        > Password: a1#bcd34
        >
        > my $lite = SOAP::Lite -> proxy ("https://foo:a1#bcd34
        > \@.../soap");
        >
        > I receive the following error message:
        >
        > ... Can't connect to foo:a1:443 (Bad hostname 'foo:a1') ...
        >
        > Its almost like the '#' is being interpreted as a comment somewhere
        > in the SOAP::Lite library. Which sorta makes sense, if you think
        > about it.
        >
        > Anyone have any ideas?

        Have you tried url-encoding it? Special characters in URIs should be
        encoded.... The encoding for '#' is '%23', so try:

        my $lite = SOAP::Lite->proxy("https://foo:a1%23bcd34\@.../soap");

        If you aren't familiar with url-encoding, see:
        http://i-technica.com/whitestuff/urlencodechart.html

        --
        Ernest MacDougal Campbell III, MCP+I, MCSE <dougal@...>
        http://dougal.gunters.org/ http://spam.gunters.org/