XML::Parser::Lite

  • Duncan Cameron
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20, 2001
      Paul

      I've been looking at XML::Parser::Lite and wondered if the
      following is doing what you expect:

      Final(__PACKAGE__ => @_)

      This is passing the literal '__PACKAGE__' not the value of
      __PACKAGE__ as the => operator quotes the left-hand side.
      It doesn' matter as the called method doesn't need to use it.
      But maybe inthe future it might.

      Regards,
      Duncan Cameron
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21, 2001
        Hi, Duncan!

        You're absolutely right, it's not doing what I expected. This value
        is not in use right now, but may be used in a future. I'll fix it.
        Thank you.

        btw, did you just looked into the source or tried to use it? Does it
        work for you?

        Best wishes, Paul.

        --- Duncan Cameron <dcameron@...> wrote:
        > Paul
        >
        > I've been looking at XML::Parser::Lite and wondered if the
        > following is doing what you expect:
        >
        > Final(__PACKAGE__ => @_)
        >
        > This is passing the literal '__PACKAGE__' not the value of
        > __PACKAGE__ as the => operator quotes the left-hand side.
        > It doesn' matter as the called method doesn't need to use it.
        > But maybe inthe future it might.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Duncan Cameron

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • Duncan Cameron
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 22, 2001
          Paul

          Using XML::Parser::Lite with SOAP::Lite works fine with Perl 5.6. I
          was trying it with Perl 5.005 (by commenting out the version check)
          to see what didn't work, that's when I saw the use of '__PACKAGE__'.

          I had looked at the Shallow Parsing paper by my namesake Robert Cameron
          and had a go at turning it into a SAX parser but I wasn't aware of the
          regular expression extensions to execute code, so I was having to parse
          each tag as a second step. What you've done looks very good.

          Are you aware of any restrictions on what code can be executed from the
          regular expression (?{ code }) ? I've created a SAX adapter which takes
          the events fired by Parser::Lite and converts them to SAX events. It works
          with a simple SAX handler, but I get segment violations when I try it
          with XML::Handler::XMLWriter and XML::Handler::CanonXMLWriter. For example,
          I wondered if it's valid to execute another regular expression from that
          code.

          Regards,
          Duncan Cameron

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 22, 2001
            Hi, Duncan!

            > Using XML::Parser::Lite with SOAP::Lite works fine with Perl 5.6.
            > I was trying it with Perl 5.005 (by commenting out the version
            Actually, I tried to run it with Perl 5.005 and got some
            unpredictable results. It seems like ?{} code wasn't properly
            executed. It didn't fail, but results were absolutely strange, so I
            decided to stick with 5.6.

            > Are you aware of any restrictions on what code can be executed from
            > the
            > regular expression (?{ code }) ? I've created a SAX adapter which
            > takes
            > the events fired by Parser::Lite and converts them to SAX events.
            > It works
            > with a simple SAX handler, but I get segment violations when I try
            > it
            > with XML::Handler::XMLWriter and XML::Handler::CanonXMLWriter. For
            > example,
            > I wondered if it's valid to execute another regular expression from
            > that code.
            Regular expressions can't be executed from code that is executed from
            ?{} unfortunately. It seems like regexp context can't be reproduced
            and my app segfaults when I'm doing it. As you can see I'v used
            index/substring to find a way around this restriction, but index()
            can search only static strings.

            I have a similar code for other Perl (without ?{}) and probably it
            does what you did: parses elements as the first stage and then parses
            them again to generate events, but it was MUCH slower than current
            implementation even without all features, so I didn't finish it,
            though I still hope to address Perl before 5.6 also. Could you send
            me what you did to convert callbacks to SAX events? Thank you.

            http://auctions.yahoo.com/