autobinding and other soap clients

  • M_Proctor
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2002
      If I use autobinding will other non-soaplite clients be able to use
      that too - ie do they allow remote manipulation of an object, not just
      calling an objects methods?

      I want to create a rpc node based API. Something like:
      $node = My::Node->new();
      $node->addChild("asdfasfd");
      $node->deleteChild("asdfasf");

      If this is not a standard and well supported feature of soap clients,
      I will have to go back to passing the object as a parameter :(
      $node = $soap->getNode()->results();
      $soap->addChild($node, "asdfasfd");
      $soap->deleteChild($node, "asdfasfd");
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 14, 2002
        Hi M_Proctor,

        I don't think I fully understand the question, but I will try to
        answer anyway ;). Despite the name, SOAP doesn't know anything about
        objects or methods. It's largely about wire format.

        autobinding does two things: (1) it provides you with more familiar
        OO syntax (no need to use object as a parameter and no need to use
        result() method) and (2) modifies object as a result of object call.
        You will always have (1) regardless of server-side implementation.
        You will only get (2) with SOAP::Lite on server side. Even if you
        send object as a parameter you shouldn't expect to get (2). Does that
        answer your question?

        Best wishes, Paul.

        --- M_Proctor <M.Proctor@...> wrote:
        > If I use autobinding will other non-soaplite clients be able to use
        > that too - ie do they allow remote manipulation of an object, not
        > just
        > calling an objects methods?
        >
        > I want to create a rpc node based API. Something like:
        > $node = My::Node->new();
        > $node->addChild("asdfasfd");
        > $node->deleteChild("asdfasf");
        >
        > If this is not a standard and well supported feature of soap
        > clients,
        > I will have to go back to passing the object as a parameter :(
        > $node = $soap->getNode()->results();
        > $soap->addChild($node, "asdfasfd");
        > $soap->deleteChild($node, "asdfasfd");

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com
      • M_Proctor
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 15, 2002
          We are only using soaplite for the server, but will have both java and
          perl clients. As I understand it if I'm using autobinding to
          manipulate objects, then the java client will need to pass the object
          as the first parameter - unless the java client has a similar
          autobinding feature. So I guess my question is do any java clients
          support a similar feature to "autobinding" like soaplite does, that
          allows you to manipulate a remote object as if it was a local obect?

          PingPong is a good example of what I'm trying to achieve, do Java
          clients support autobinding - has anyone written a java client example
          that uses soaplites PingPong example?

          Regards

          Mark