Destructors

  • Brutsch, Michael
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 16, 2001
      If you instantiate an object from the client, when does the server-side
      memory for that object get freed?
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 16, 2001
        Hi, Michael!

        Client doesn't have control on it. Depends on server configuration:
        10 minutes of inactivity time by default, can be altered with custom
        handler. You can provide function for garbage collection specific for
        class (or several classes):

        -> objects_by_reference(
        'My::PersistentIterator', 'My::SessionIterator'
        => \&garbage_collector)

        sub &garbage_collector {
        my(
        $number_of_objects_of_this_class, # if you want to implement
        cache
        $current_time,
        $object,
        $type, # ref $object
        $creation_time, # cannot be undef
        $last_access_time, # can be undef if not accessed
        ) = @_;
        1; # object will be collected
        0; # object will be kept
        }

        This is the default function:
        sub { $_[1]-$_[$_[5] ? 5 : 4] > 600 }
        check if access or creation time was more than 10 minutes ago.

        Still in infancy, but works.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • fulkohew <fulkohew@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 23, 2003
          paulclinger@... wrote on Mon Apr 16, 2001:

          > Client doesn't have control on it. Depends on server
          configuration:
          > 10 minutes of inactivity time by default, can be altered with
          custom
          > handler. You can provide function for garbage collection specific
          for
          > class (or several classes):

          > -> objects_by_reference(
          > 'My::PersistentIterator',
          > 'My::SessionIterator'
          > => \&garbage_collector)
          >
          > sub &garbage_collector {
          > my(
          > $number_of_objects_of_this_class, # if you want to implement
          cache
          > $current_time,
          > $object,
          > $type, # ref $object
          > $creation_time, # cannot be undef
          > $last_access_time, # can be undef if not accessed
          > ) = @_;
          > 1; # object will be collected
          > 0; # object will be kept
          > }

          I have tried ths example, i.e.

          -> objects_by_reference('TestF' => \&garbage_collector)

          and in all permuatations, but my server side gives the error:

          "Use of uninitialized value in hash slice at
          /usr/lib.../SOAP/Lite.pm line 1900."

          Which is in the 'objects_by_reference()' subroutine.

          Is this a bug? Can you help?

          TIA
          Fulko
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 23, 2003
            Hi Fulko,

            > "Use of uninitialized value in hash slice at
            > /usr/lib.../SOAP/Lite.pm line
            > 1900."
            >
            > Which is in the 'objects_by_reference()' subroutine.
            >
            > Is this a bug? Can you help?
            It appears to be my fault. The code inside objects_by_reference turns
            out to be version dependent (it relies on left-to-right order of
            execution which is not always true). I'll fix that. Thanks.

            Best wishes, Paul.

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com