beginner question.. global data with http::daemon

  • tgregory.rm
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
      Hi all,

      I just started using Soap::Lite and have the examples in the
      distribution up and running. I searched the archive for an answer to
      my question, but didn't have any luck, so here goes.

      I would like to implement a cache (as a hash) that would be accessible
      to all instantiations of a given type of object. They would all need
      read/write access to the cache, as well see changes made by other
      instantiations. Basically, I just want a global cache that all
      instances can access. (I'm assuming there could be problems with
      concurrent access, but I figure that is my next problem)

      How would one go about doing this using http::daemon?

      Thanks for any help.

      Trey
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
        Hi Trey,

        > I would like to implement a cache (as a hash) that would be
        > accessible
        > to all instantiations of a given type of object. They would all
        Shouldn't be difficult. Take a look at this thread:

        The key is singleton or file-scoped 'my $foo;'. Let me know if you
        need more concrete example.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        --- "tgregory.rm" <tgregory@...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I just started using Soap::Lite and have the examples in the
        > distribution up and running. I searched the archive for an answer
        > my question, but didn't have any luck, so here goes.
        >
        > I would like to implement a cache (as a hash) that would be
        > accessible
        > to all instantiations of a given type of object. They would all
        > need
        > read/write access to the cache, as well see changes made by other
        > instantiations. Basically, I just want a global cache that all
        > instances can access. (I'm assuming there could be problems with
        > concurrent access, but I figure that is my next problem)
        >
        > How would one go about doing this using http::daemon?
        >
        > Thanks for any help.
        >
        > Trey

        HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
        http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
      • tgregory.rm
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2002
          Paul,

          Thanks for the fast response.

          I scoped a variable globally in my demo package, and that worked
          perfectly. I noticed in the thread you pointed me to that you note
          that this approach would not work on a forking server. This leads me
          to 2 other questions:

          1) On win32 (AS 633,v5.6.1), it seems to me that the default behaviour
          for the HTTP::Daemon server is to handle requests one at a time. There
          is no multithreading or multiprocessing. Is this correct?

          (As an aside, I did attempt to get ForkAfterProcessing working, but it
          would hang after handling one request. I assumed this had something to
          do with fork emulation)

          2) Is there a win32 multithreaded server available? Or a higher
          performance server which would not make my data persistence issues
          more complicated?

          Thanks again,
          Trey

          > Hi Trey,
          >
          > > I would like to implement a cache (as a hash) that would be
          > > accessible
          > > to all instantiations of a given type of object. They would all
          > Shouldn't be difficult. Take a look at this thread:
          >
          > The key is singleton or file-scoped 'my $foo;'. Let me know if you
          > need more concrete example.
          >
          > Best wishes, Paul.
          >
          > --- "tgregory.rm" <tgregory@r...> wrote:
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I just started using Soap::Lite and have the examples in the
          > > distribution up and running. I searched the archive for an answer
          > > my question, but didn't have any luck, so here goes.
          > >
          > > I would like to implement a cache (as a hash) that would be
          > > accessible
          > > to all instantiations of a given type of object. They would all
          > > need
          > > read/write access to the cache, as well see changes made by other
          > > instantiations. Basically, I just want a global cache that all
          > > instances can access. (I'm assuming there could be problems with
          > > concurrent access, but I figure that is my next problem)
          > >
          > > How would one go about doing this using http::daemon?
          > >
          > > Thanks for any help.
          > >
          > > Trey

          > HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
          > http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
        • tgregory.rm
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 11, 2002
            Since there doesn't seem to be a multithreaded server available, and
            fork emulation is iffy in perl currently, I've decided to investigate
            using win32::process to make a multiprocess server.

            An initial problem seems to be passing the socket connection from the
            old process to the new process. Has anyone had success with this approach?

            Thanks,
            Trey