Re: [soaplite] Re: null return values

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 12, 2001
      Hi, Michael!

      you're absolutely right. All simple types defined in spec will return
      far as I can understand it makes difference only for string (empty
      string becames undef), because for all other values empty string is
      not allowed value anyway. Since null/undef values are marked as such
      on wire or can be completely omitted I may convert undef string
      values back to empty strings in deserializer. Any objections?

      Best wishes, Paul.

      --- mbrutsch@... wrote:
      > Paul,
      >
      > I wish to return an empty string, as in
      >
      > $a = "";
      > print $a;
      >
      > which returns no error with -w, but does with SOAP::Lite (perhaps
      > you
      > are treating an empty string as undef?)
      >

      > > Hi, Michael!
      > >
      > > Because it's REAL null (undef) value. if you do
      > > $a = undef;
      > > print $a;
      > >
      > > you'll also get warning on this.
      > >
      > > in our situation it could be
      > > $a = $soap->something->result; # returns undef
      > > print $a;
      > >
      > > and you'll get warning again with -w.
      > >
      > > What did you expect to get? I tried to reproduce as much Perlish
      > > behavior as possible :)
      > >
      > > Best wishes, Paul.
      > >
      > > --- mbrutsch@i... wrote:
      > > > Whenever I return a null from a method call, I get the error
      > "Use
      > > > of
      > > > uninitialized value". It works fine when I return anything
      > else.
      > > > Any thoughts?

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Brutsch, Michael
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 12, 2001
        Paul Kulchenko wrote:

        > Hi, Michael!
        >
        > you're absolutely right. All simple types defined in spec will return
        > far as I can understand it makes difference only for string (empty
        > string becames undef), because for all other values empty string is
        > not allowed value anyway. Since null/undef values are marked as such
        > on wire or can be completely omitted I may convert undef string
        > values back to empty strings in deserializer. Any objections?

        No, that would be fine. I am just ignoring the warnings, at this point.
        Everything else is working great! SOAP::Lite is most excellent!

        Thanks,
        Michael