Re: [soaplite] null return values

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 12 12:18 PM
      Hi, Michael!

      Because it's REAL null (undef) value. if you do
      $a = undef;
      print $a;

      you'll also get warning on this.

      in our situation it could be
      $a = $soap->something->result; # returns undef
      print $a;

      and you'll get warning again with -w.

      What did you expect to get? I tried to reproduce as much Perlish
      behavior as possible :)

      Best wishes, Paul.

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • mbrutsch@intrusion.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 12 12:32 PM
        Paul,

        I wish to return an empty string, as in

        $a = "";
        print $a;

        which returns no error with -w, but does with SOAP::Lite (perhaps you
        are treating an empty string as undef?)

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 12 2:47 PM
          Hi, Michael!

          you're absolutely right. All simple types defined in spec will return
          far as I can understand it makes difference only for string (empty
          string becames undef), because for all other values empty string is
          not allowed value anyway. Since null/undef values are marked as such
          on wire or can be completely omitted I may convert undef string
          values back to empty strings in deserializer. Any objections?

          Best wishes, Paul.

          --- mbrutsch@... wrote:
          > Paul,
          >
          > I wish to return an empty string, as in
          >
          > $a = "";
          > print $a;
          >
          > which returns no error with -w, but does with SOAP::Lite (perhaps
          > you
          > are treating an empty string as undef?)
          >

          > > Hi, Michael!
          > >
          > > Because it's REAL null (undef) value. if you do
          > > $a = undef;
          > > print $a;
          > >
          > > you'll also get warning on this.
          > >
          > > in our situation it could be
          > > $a = $soap->something->result; # returns undef
          > > print $a;
          > >
          > > and you'll get warning again with -w.
          > >
          > > What did you expect to get? I tried to reproduce as much Perlish
          > > behavior as possible :)
          > >
          > > Best wishes, Paul.
          > >
          > > --- mbrutsch@i... wrote:
          > > > Whenever I return a null from a method call, I get the error
          > "Use
          > > > of
          > > > uninitialized value". It works fine when I return anything
          > else.
          > > > Any thoughts?

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Brutsch, Michael
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 12 3:08 PM
            Paul Kulchenko wrote:

            > Hi, Michael!
            >
            > you're absolutely right. All simple types defined in spec will return
            > far as I can understand it makes difference only for string (empty
            > string becames undef), because for all other values empty string is
            > not allowed value anyway. Since null/undef values are marked as such
            > on wire or can be completely omitted I may convert undef string
            > values back to empty strings in deserializer. Any objections?

            No, that would be fine. I am just ignoring the warnings, at this point.
            Everything else is working great! SOAP::Lite is most excellent!

            Thanks,
            Michael