null return values

  • mbrutsch@intrusion.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 12, 2001
      Whenever I return a null from a method call, I get the error "Use of
      uninitialized value". It works fine when I return anything else.
      Any thoughts?
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 12, 2001
        Hi, Michael!

        Because it's REAL null (undef) value. if you do
        $a = undef;
        print $a;

        you'll also get warning on this.

        in our situation it could be
        $a = $soap->something->result; # returns undef
        print $a;

        and you'll get warning again with -w.

        What did you expect to get? I tried to reproduce as much Perlish
        behavior as possible :)

        Best wishes, Paul.

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • mbrutsch@intrusion.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 12, 2001
          Paul,

          I wish to return an empty string, as in

          $a = "";
          print $a;

          which returns no error with -w, but does with SOAP::Lite (perhaps you
          are treating an empty string as undef?)

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 12, 2001
            Hi, Michael!

            you're absolutely right. All simple types defined in spec will return
            far as I can understand it makes difference only for string (empty
            string becames undef), because for all other values empty string is
            not allowed value anyway. Since null/undef values are marked as such
            on wire or can be completely omitted I may convert undef string
            values back to empty strings in deserializer. Any objections?

            Best wishes, Paul.

            --- mbrutsch@... wrote:
            > Paul,
            >
            > I wish to return an empty string, as in
            >
            > $a = "";
            > print $a;
            >
            > which returns no error with -w, but does with SOAP::Lite (perhaps
            > you
            > are treating an empty string as undef?)
            >

            > > Hi, Michael!
            > >
            > > Because it's REAL null (undef) value. if you do
            > > $a = undef;
            > > print $a;
            > >
            > > you'll also get warning on this.
            > >
            > > in our situation it could be
            > > $a = $soap->something->result; # returns undef
            > > print $a;
            > >
            > > and you'll get warning again with -w.
            > >
            > > What did you expect to get? I tried to reproduce as much Perlish
            > > behavior as possible :)
            > >
            > > Best wishes, Paul.
            > >
            > > --- mbrutsch@i... wrote:
            > > > Whenever I return a null from a method call, I get the error
            > "Use
            > > > of
            > > > uninitialized value". It works fine when I return anything
            > else.
            > > > Any thoughts?

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Brutsch, Michael
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 12, 2001
              Paul Kulchenko wrote:

              > Hi, Michael!
              >
              > you're absolutely right. All simple types defined in spec will return
              > far as I can understand it makes difference only for string (empty
              > string becames undef), because for all other values empty string is
              > not allowed value anyway. Since null/undef values are marked as such
              > on wire or can be completely omitted I may convert undef string
              > values back to empty strings in deserializer. Any objections?

              No, that would be fine. I am just ignoring the warnings, at this point.
              Everything else is working great! SOAP::Lite is most excellent!

              Thanks,
              Michael