Re: [soaplite] SOAP and SSL Client Certificates

  • Byrne Reese
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2002
      On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 09:55, simon.fairey@... wrote:

      > I have to then ask how people currently go about deploying secure soap
      > services. Guess I better go and trawl the web and newsgroups a bit :-)

      I don't think one can necessarily attribute the hesitency to use HTTPS
      to secure web services to the lack of support in WSDL. WSDL describes an
      interface - not the transport mechanism to use.

      SAML is good to encrypt data within a SOAP envelope. In other words, if
      you want to protect just some of the data allowing others to still parse
      the XML (i.e. an intermediary) - than SAML seems like a good fit.
      WS-Security comes into play for authentication, and identity
      confirmation... SAML and WS-S have a lot in common, but there are
      certainly some differentiators between them.

      Right now, in my experience at Grand Central where we *only* deploy
      secure Web services is that HTTPS is the only way to go - only because
      it has such wide spread support. It is not the best solution to the
      problem, but it does provide encryption, and some level identity
      confirmation/authentication (when using Class/Level 3 certificates).
      Toolkit support is good for HTTPS, and your web server should make HTTPS
      completely transparent to SOAP::Lite.

      Verisign provides a very useful certificate that Grand Central helped to
      justify the need for: a dual purpose client and server cert. This
      enables you to use the same cert for processing requests as you do for
      sending requests. Very helpful, and it is what we use exclusively.

      IMHO, HTTPS is your best bet for right now. If you will be involving
      lots of intermediaries, take a look at Grand Central - only because it
      can help you to manage your security policies across multiple end
      points.

      BTW - If you think support for HTTPS is weak. Try finding good tools for
      SAML, and WS-S. They are virtually non-existent.

      Byrne

      --
      :/ byrne

      Program Manager
      Grand Central Communications
      breese@...
    • simon.fairey@ft.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 7, 2002

                To:        simon.fairey@...
                cc:        soaplite@yahoogroups.com
                Subject:        Re: [soaplite] SOAP and SSL Client Certificates

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 9, 2002
          Ok I'm confused (not hard these days, must be old age!!)

          You mentioned it works with Class/Level 3 certificates? Sorry but I'm pretty new to SSL so that bit lost me.

          So HTTPS does work although there is little support, I notice in the building of SOAPLite it mentions HTTPS support so how do I implement a client/server where a client cert is used as authorisation. At the moment my perl client seems to work but completely ignores any sort of verification process?

          Si

          Byrne Reese <breese@...>

          07/10/2002 16:09

                  To:        simon.fairey@...

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 9, 2002
            On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 04:29, Simon.Fairey@... wrote:
            > You mentioned it works with Class/Level 3 certificates? Sorry but I'm
            > pretty new to SSL so that bit lost me.

            There are actually different classes of certificates - they represent
            different degrees of certainty as to the identity the certificate
            certifies. In other words, a class one cert, i.e. an email certificate,
            only requires that some be registered to receive mail at a given
            address, but does not necessarily certify that just because I have a
            cert signed to byrne@..., does not mean I work for IBM. A class 3
            certificate on the other hand, typically a server certificate, is signed
            to specific machine. A certificate authority then goes through a lengthy
            process to ensure that the person requesting the cert, works for a valid
            company, that the server belongs to the company, etc. I have a very high
            level of confidence that if my app gets a level 3 cert signed by
            verisign, that then person on the other end is the person represented by
            the cert. Does that make sense?

            As part of the SSL handshake, your SSL implementation will look at
            fields the certificate in question (i.e. the Common Name, which often
            holds the hostname as its value) and validate them. For level three
            certs, the value of the CN is compared to the DNS name of the connected
            client. If they match then the cert is accepted, otherwise, it is
            rejected.

            Is this helping? Certificates in my experience are a pain. At Grand
            Central we discovered the hard way that after paying several thousand
            dollars for a server cert that we couldn't turn around and use the same
            cert as a client cert. It makes tons of sense now, but it didn't at the
            time. That is why we had to work with Verisign to come up with a new Web
            Services cert that has an encoded dual purpose (yet another field
            embedded in the cert like the CN).

            A looooong answer, to a short question. Sorry. :/

            > So HTTPS does work although there is little support, I notice in the
            > building of SOAPLite it mentions HTTPS support so how do I implement a
            > client/server where a client cert is used as authorisation. At the
            > moment my perl client seems to work but completely ignores any sort of
            > verification process?

            Ok - so that depends. If you are writing a service in SOAP::Lite to be
            consumed by others, I would let your web server handle all of the SSL
            stuff for you (i.e. mod_ssl for Apache). If you are writing a client
            that needs to consume a Web service over HTTPS, then I would just invoke
            the service via HTTPS. As for client certificate based authentication...
            let me get back to you. We solved this at GCC, but I have to dig through
            some code. Let me ping an engineer who got this working and see if he
            can help.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 9, 2002
              Totally agree. There should *at least* be a mention in the userguide, or
              a reference to the CryptSSLeay documentation on the subject. And yes,
              the environment variables are the way to.

              Obviously. Doh!

              There is a caveat to this: you can only use one client cert per process.
              Once the SSL library initializes itself, you can't change the cert you
              are using...

              --
              :/ byrne

              Program Manager
              Grand Central Communications
              breese@...
            • Ajit Deshpande
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 9, 2002

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 10, 2002
                  Thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated. From looking at things I think I'm going to go with a "https://user:pass@blah" type of access as that should be sufficient security and especially as the client will ultimately be written by someone else using Python. I wanted to try and get the Perl client working to test it and think I still may try and get the certs to work for my own peace of mind anyway :-)

                  Thanks again

                  Si

                  Ajit Deshpande <ajit@...>
                  Sent by: Ajit Deshpande <ajit@...>