Re: [soaplite] Who should escape data?

  • Duncan Cameron
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2002
      On 2002-08-27 Eric Promislow wrote:
      >I made this request to the Amazon web service:
      >
      >my $artist = 'Lothar & Hand People';
      >$artistRequest = {
      > artist => $artist,
      > page => 1,
      > mode => 'music',
      > tag => 'webservices-20',
      > type => 'lite',
      > devtag => '????',
      > version => '1.0'
      >};
      >
      ># This calls a proxy generated by VisualPerl

      That's interesting. I've just looked at the ActiveState site and see
      that you're the lead-developer. Is the proxy-generation something
      that you've developed?

      >$res = $obj->ArtistSearchRequest($artistRequest);
      >
      >I got back this error:
      >
      >Application failed during request deserialization:
      >not well-formed at line 1, column 575, byte 575
      >

      >This is because the '&' was not escaped on serialization.
      >
      >So who should encode special chars ('&' and '<' primarily)
      >into entity refs? SOAP::Lite or this proxy? Are people
      >invoking SOAP::Lite with these characters in strings, or are
      >they encoding them?

      SOAP::Lite should automatically encode '&' and '<'. In fact it does,
      I have just tried it. If you think that it's not doing that then
      please post part of the code.

      Regards,
      Duncan Cameron
    • Eric Promislow
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 28, 2002
        Hello, Duncan (and other list members),

        I led the dev't on the proxy generator, but several people have
        also worked on it. We take WSDL and generate classes from it,
        using XSLT. Currently we're generating wrappers for
        SOAP::Lite only, and that technology is in Visual Perl 1.5 --
        Komodo sometime in the future. The idea was to make it just
        as easy to consume web services in VS.Net with Perl as it
        is in C# or VB.Net.

        - Eric