Who should escape data?

  • Eric Promislow
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27 4:37 PM
      I made this request to the Amazon web service:

      my $artist = 'Lothar & Hand People';
      $artistRequest = {
      artist => $artist,
      page => 1,
      mode => 'music',
      tag => 'webservices-20',
      type => 'lite',
      devtag => '????',
      version => '1.0'
      };

      # This calls a proxy generated by VisualPerl

      $res = $obj->ArtistSearchRequest($artistRequest);

      I got back this error:

      Application failed during request deserialization:
      not well-formed at line 1, column 575, byte 575

      This is because the '&' was not escaped on serialization.

      So who should encode special chars ('&' and '<' primarily)
      into entity refs? SOAP::Lite or this proxy? Are people
      invoking SOAP::Lite with these characters in strings, or are
      they encoding them?

      - Eric

      perl -e 'print join("", reverse(split//, q(moc.etatsevitca@pcire))), "\n"'
    • Duncan Cameron
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 27 10:45 PM
        On 2002-08-27 Eric Promislow wrote:
        >I made this request to the Amazon web service:
        >
        >my $artist = 'Lothar & Hand People';
        >$artistRequest = {
        > artist => $artist,
        > page => 1,
        > mode => 'music',
        > tag => 'webservices-20',
        > type => 'lite',
        > devtag => '????',
        > version => '1.0'
        >};
        >
        ># This calls a proxy generated by VisualPerl

        That's interesting. I've just looked at the ActiveState site and see
        that you're the lead-developer. Is the proxy-generation something
        that you've developed?

        >$res = $obj->ArtistSearchRequest($artistRequest);
        >
        >I got back this error:
        >
        >Application failed during request deserialization:
        >not well-formed at line 1, column 575, byte 575
        >

        >This is because the '&' was not escaped on serialization.
        >
        >So who should encode special chars ('&' and '<' primarily)
        >into entity refs? SOAP::Lite or this proxy? Are people
        >invoking SOAP::Lite with these characters in strings, or are
        >they encoding them?

        SOAP::Lite should automatically encode '&' and '<'. In fact it does,
        I have just tried it. If you think that it's not doing that then
        please post part of the code.

        Regards,
        Duncan Cameron
      • Eric Promislow
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 28 10:17 AM
          Hello, Duncan (and other list members),

          I led the dev't on the proxy generator, but several people have
          also worked on it. We take WSDL and generate classes from it,
          using XSLT. Currently we're generating wrappers for
          SOAP::Lite only, and that technology is in Visual Perl 1.5 --
          Komodo sometime in the future. The idea was to make it just
          as easy to consume web services in VS.Net with Perl as it
          is in C# or VB.Net.

          - Eric