Having difficulty with SOAP::SOM passed to method code

  • hillct
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2002
      Hi,
      I've been messing with SOAP::Lite for the past few days. It's
      really neat, but It seems difficult to get to the message level
      directly.
      The application I'm working on requires that XML content recieved
      elsewhere be processed as a SOAP method call, where the method being
      called will determine output, from a single routine (rather than a
      package of methods as is done in most of the examples). I expect I
      can dispatch all requests regardless of method, to a sincle routine
      using dispatch_with, but for some reason the SOAP::SOM object isn't
      being passed, so I have no access to the SOAP headers from within the
      routine to which the call is being dispatched. Is there something I
      need other than:

      use vars qw(@ISA);
      @ISA = qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters);

      inside the package containing the routine being dispatched to?
      I tried working with the parametersbyname.pl example but it doesn't
      seem to operate correctly. I'd appreciate any pointers you can give
      me. Thanks

      -- hillct
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2002
        Hi, hillct!

        > routine to which the call is being dispatched. Is there something I
        > need other than:
        >
        > use vars qw(@ISA);
        > @ISA = qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters);
        >
        > inside the package containing the routine being dispatched to?
        no.

        > I tried working with the parametersbyname.pl example but it doesn't
        > seem to operate correctly. I'd appreciate any pointers you can give

        I'm not sure how your server code looks like, but if you have server
        and package in one file you may check these two messages for
        solution. You should have BEGIN {} block around your code.

        Let me know if it's something else.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        --- hillct <hillct@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I've been messing with SOAP::Lite for the past few days. It's
        > really neat, but It seems difficult to get to the message level
        > directly.
        > The application I'm working on requires that XML content
        > recieved
        > elsewhere be processed as a SOAP method call, where the method
        > being
        > called will determine output, from a single routine (rather than a
        > package of methods as is done in most of the examples). I expect I
        > can dispatch all requests regardless of method, to a sincle routine
        >
        > using dispatch_with, but for some reason the SOAP::SOM object isn't
        >
        > being passed, so I have no access to the SOAP headers from within
        > the
        > routine to which the call is being dispatched. Is there something I
        >
        > need other than:
        >
        > use vars qw(@ISA);
        > @ISA = qw(SOAP::Server::Parameters);
        >
        > inside the package containing the routine being dispatched to?
        > I tried working with the parametersbyname.pl example but it doesn't
        >
        > seem to operate correctly. I'd appreciate any pointers you can give
        >
        > me. Thanks
        >
        > -- hillct

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      • Colin Hill
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2002
          Paul,
          Thanks. That did the trick. I did go through the
          archive for the answer before posting. I guess it
          would have helped if I'd had a better idea what I was
          looking for.

          My remaining issue relates to use of dispatch_with
          to force all method calls (to any method) to be passed
          to a single routine. It seems as though I can do this
          with the the URL syntax of dispatch_with, however on
          closer inspection it appears that defining the default
          handler with on_action might be more correct. I wonder
          if you could provide some guidance here.

          While I'm composing this, I guess I should ask the
          next question I foresee having. I (ultimately) intend
          to be deserializing arbitrary XML to get my SOAP
          request objects, rather than relying on the CGI
          interface. Once I have the request object, I presume I
          must pass it through a SOAP::Server object to generate
          the response object (which I will be serializing and
          passing back to the client manually).

          I didn't see a server method available for passing
          a generated SOAP request object in (to a server
          object) for processing, although I'm sure one must
          exist, I can't seem to find it. I wonder if you could
          point me in the right direction.

          Thanks again for all your help.

          -- hillct

          =====