Standalone daemon && HTTPS

  • Sergei Dolmatov
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 10, 2002
      Hello!

      AFAIK, SOAP::Lite works in daemon mode up to 7-8 times faster than
      using CGI-mode.

      But I'd like to use SOAP::Lite with HTTPS connections - i.e. question
      is - "How can I use SOAP::Lite as standalone daemon that could speak
      with clients over HTTPS?"

      Or it is impossible? May be then I could use somethins other. But
      problem is in client - its written in Delphi and I'm not sure that it
      could work over other security implementations.

      I'd be very glad if someone would point me in solving this problem.

      --
      Regards,
      Sergei Dolmatov.
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 24, 2002
        Any word on this?
        I'm mighty curious myself.

        Sergei Dolmatov wrote:
        > Hello!
        >
        > AFAIK, SOAP::Lite works in daemon mode up to 7-8 times faster than
        > using CGI-mode.
        >
        > But I'd like to use SOAP::Lite with HTTPS connections - i.e. question
        > is - "How can I use SOAP::Lite as standalone daemon that could speak
        > with clients over HTTPS?"
        >
        > Or it is impossible? May be then I could use somethins other. But
        > problem is in client - its written in Delphi and I'm not sure that it
        > could work over other security implementations.
        >
        > I'd be very glad if someone would point me in solving this problem.
        >
        > --
        > Regards,
        > Sergei Dolmatov.

      • Daryl Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 24, 2002
          ditto...

          <d/>

          Kaiton Williams wrote:

          > Any word on this?
          > I'm mighty curious myself.
          >
          > Sergei Dolmatov wrote:
          >
          >>Hello!
          >>
          >>AFAIK, SOAP::Lite works in daemon mode up to 7-8 times faster than
          >>using CGI-mode.
          >>
          >>But I'd like to use SOAP::Lite with HTTPS connections - i.e. question
          >>is - "How can I use SOAP::Lite as standalone daemon that could speak
          >>with clients over HTTPS?"
          >>
          >>Or it is impossible? May be then I could use somethins other. But
          >>problem is in client - its written in Delphi and I'm not sure that it
          >>could work over other security implementations.
          >>
          >>I'd be very glad if someone would point me in solving this problem.
          >>
          >>--
          >>Regards,
          >>Sergei Dolmatov.

        • mrdamnfrenchy
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 26, 2002
            > >>AFAIK, SOAP::Lite works in daemon mode up to 7-8 times faster than
            > >>using CGI-mode.
            > >>
            > >>But I'd like to use SOAP::Lite with HTTPS connections - i.e. question
            > >>is - "How can I use SOAP::Lite as standalone daemon that could speak
            > >>with clients over HTTPS?"

            That's easy, use your HTTPS capable web server as a proxy to you soap daemon.

            If you use Apache, here how you do it:
            - Run the SOAP::Lite HTTP daemon on a local port (bind to 127.0.0.1), say in this example, port 4567.
            - Make sure you apache install has mod_redirect and mod_proxy installed.
            - In your configuration file, put the following line:
            RewriteEngine on
            RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^soap.*
            RewriteRule ^/.*$ http://localhost:4567/ [P]
            (this would take a request to http://soap.yourdomain.com/ and redirect it to your daemon)
            or:
            RewriteEngine on
            RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^/path/to/soap
            RewriteRule ^/.*$ http://localhost:4567/ [P]
            (this would take a request to http://www.yourdomain.com/path/to/soap and redirect it to your daemon)

            I'm not sure, but I think you can put this in the .htaccess file as well.

            - Make sure apache is secured to your taste (path is only available via https (you can make that a RewriteCond as well), password protection, whatever).

            Now, the soap daemon is only accessible through apache, but it does most of the work, apache just act as an encrypter proxy.

            -Mathieu