Re: [soaplite] Segmentation fault after multiple method calls on a remote object

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 22, 2001
      Hi, Sean!

      Probably simpliest way to check it is to run these requests from SOAP
      shell, so you'll know for sure is it something related to SOAP or
      other parts of your application. Try to run:

      perl SOAPsh.pl <URL> <URI/namespace>

      and then
      > your_call(parameters)

      It's not always possible to emulate real application, but you'll be
      able to run several requests and see the results. Hope it'll give you
      some ideas.

      Best wishes, Paul.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 28, 2001
        Hi all,

        You may remember I posted to the SOAP::Lite mailing list last week about
        odd segmentation faults in a client process. Here is what I've discovered:
        In short, version 1.20 of CGI::Carp has an incompatibilty with version 2.30 of
        XML::Parser::Expat.pm . My SOAP::Lite client is a CGI script. CGI::Carp
        overrides the default handler for die. XML::Parser::Expat.pm has a line
        where it is expecting to die in an eval, every time a string is passed to
        its parse() method. The newest CGI::Carp *can't* properly handle the XML
        string it gets passed when XML::Parser::Expat::parse() executes the line that
        generates a die signal.

        That's a convoluted explanation but its as simple as I could make it. So
        the problem I encountered is not really in the SOAP::Lite code, but it could
        potentially affect anyone who wants to use a CGI script as a SOAP::Lite
        *client*,
        and it doesn't cause the process to crash right away, you may be able to make
        a bunch of calls before the process will get a segmentation fault. The
        workaround
        is to use an older version of CGI::Carp (I have 1.14 now, the version causing
        the
        problem is 1.20), OR don't use CGI::Carp in your CGI script at all.

        Cheers,

        Sean Meisner

        Sean.Meisner@... on 03/22/2001 11:07:03 AM

        Please respond to soaplite@yahoogroups.com

        To: soaplite@yahoogroups.com
        cc: (bcc: Sean Meisner/Great Lakes/AirTouch)
        bcc: Sean Meisner/Great Lakes/AirTouch

        Subject: Re: [soaplite] Segmentation fault after multiple method calls on a
        remote object

        To: soaplite@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 28, 2001
          Hi, Sean!

          Though you're right and that's not a problem in SOAP::Lite code,
          would be better to fix it on SOAP::Lite level. Actually fix is simple
          (I faced this problem in couple of other applications and it
          's used in MAILTO module):

          you need to override DIE handler temporarely:

          my $parsed = eval { local $SIG{__DIE__};
          $self->parser->decode(shift) };

          instead of

          my $parsed = $self->parser->decode(shift);

          I'll add it into the code, so next version will be more robast in
          this aspect.

          you may do it on application level also, just warp your client call
          in similar eval:

          eval { local $SIG{__DIE__};
          # you SOAP call is here
          1;
          } or die;

          all die's inside eval will be catched by default (or specified)
          handler and last die (with message from eval) will be catched by
          CGI::Carp, so everything should be fine. Thinking about this second
          solution maybe it's not a good idea to wrap it inside the
          SOAP::Lite's code. I need to think about it. Let me know how it goes.

          Best wishes, Paul.

          --- Sean.Meisner@... wrote:

> [...]
          > > fault on the client side and the script dies. The server is
          > > unaffected by this
          > > error. My on_fault defined subroutine does not get called. Most
          > > baffling is,
          > > this behavior is inconsistent between different sections of the
          > > script.. in one
          > > portion, I may be able to call a method 4 times before it
          > crashes.
          > > In another
          > > section of the script, the same code will crash on the second
          > > method call.
          > > The particular method with which I'm seeing this error simply
          > takes
          > > 2 strings as
          > > parameters, and passes back a string.
          > >
          > > I'm just posting on the odd chance that someone else may have had
          > > this type
          > > of problem before and knows off the top of their head what the

          === message truncated ===

        • Sean.Meisner@VerizonWireless.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 28, 2001
            Hi Paul,
            I'd probably be more inclined to pass this off to the CGI::Carp people, as the
            root
            of the problem seems to me to be the fact that their die handling routine can
            potentially
            mess up fatally when it gets passed a string of XML. This shouldn't be
            happening..
            CGI::Carp itself should be more robust. I'm not sure if there is a mailing list
            for those
            CGI modules? There must be, but I'm not subscribed to it.. perhaps someone here
            could forward this discussion to the appropriate list or bug-report address?

            Cheers,

            Sean Meisner

            Paul Kulchenko <paulclinger@...> on 03/28/2001 10:59:41 AM

            Please respond to soaplite@yahoogroups.com

            To: soaplite@yahoogroups.com

            --- Sean.Meisner@... wrote:

> [...]
            > > fault on the client side and the script dies. The server is
            > > unaffected by this
            > > error. My on_fault defined subroutine does not get called. Most
            > > baffling is,
            > > this behavior is inconsistent between different sections of the
            > > script.. in one
            > > portion, I may be able to call a method 4 times before it
            > crashes.
            > > In another
            > > section of the script, the same code will crash on the second
            > > method call.
            > > The particular method with which I'm seeing this error simply
            > takes
            > > 2 strings as
            > > parameters, and passes back a string.
            > >
            > > I'm just posting on the odd chance that someone else may have had
            > > this type
            > > of problem before and knows off the top of their head what the

            === message truncated ===

          • Duncan Cameron
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 28, 2001
              Sean

              Which version of CGI are you using? Check the CGI web site
              http://stein.cshl.org/WWW/software/CGI/
              which has a list of fixes in each release. In release 2.52 there was a "fix to CGI::Carp so that it doesn't affect eval{} blocks". That might be your problem.

              Otherwise you can report CGI problems to the author, Lincold D Stein, at
              lstein@...

              Regards

              Duncan Cameron

              On 2001-03-28 at 11:19:00, Sean.Meisner <Sean.Meisner@...> wrote concerning 'Re: [soaplite] Segmentation fault after multiple method calls on a remote object':

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 28, 2001
                Hi Duncan,
                I have the latest version of CGI, 2.753, that's where the problem is :o)

                Thanks for the address!!

                Cheers,

                Sean Meisner

                Duncan Cameron <dcameron@...> on 03/28/2001 01:54:19 PM

                Please respond to soaplite@yahoogroups.com

                To: "soaplite@yahoogroups.com" <soaplite@yahoogroups.com>

                On 2001-03-28 at 11:19:00, Sean.Meisner <Sean.Meisner@...> wrote
                concerning 'Re: [soaplite] Segmentation fault after multiple method calls on a
                remote object':