Soap::Lite under mod_perl Namespace issue

  • marceusz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14, 2002
      This is an old issue that I've ignored for a bit because it was a bit of a
      non-issue but is about to become a large issue again.

      When I make calls on a Soap::Lite server running under mod_perl I get the
      following "feature":

      Called from a Javascript Client ... works beautifully...
      Call from Soap::Lite Client ... no problem ...
      Call again from the Javascript Client ... there is a namespace error ...
      "Called with [xyz] expected [xyz]" ... even if these two namespaces are
      identical.

      This happens without fail. But only if I call the server from a Soap::Lite
      client and >then< the Javascript client ... and then only the Javascript
      client is getting the error.

      This also only happens under mod_perl, the CGI version of the Soap::Lite
      server works perfectly ... but this is the only portion of the project that
      is CGI ... and we'd like to move it on under mod_perl as well.

      This makes me thing that the namespace variables are not being set to a
      undefined value when a new call to the server is made. Is there something in
      the SOAP package we should check on to make sure that the namespace is
      set/reset properly?

      Any help or direction here could be very helpful.
      -Chris
    • Duncan Cameron
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 16, 2002
        On 2002-03-14 marceusz wrote:
        >This is an old issue that I've ignored for a bit because it was a bit of a
        >non-issue but is about to become a large issue again.
        >
        >When I make calls on a Soap::Lite server running under mod_perl I get the
        >following "feature":
        >
        >Called from a Javascript Client ... works beautifully...
        >Call from Soap::Lite Client ... no problem ...
        >Call again from the Javascript Client ... there is a namespace error ...
        >"Called with [xyz] expected [xyz]" ... even if these two namespaces are
        >identical.
        >
        >This happens without fail. But only if I call the server from a Soap::Lite
        >client and >then< the Javascript client ... and then only the Javascript
        >client is getting the error.
        >
        >This also only happens under mod_perl, the CGI version of the Soap::Lite
        >server works perfectly ... but this is the only portion of the project that
        >is CGI ... and we'd like to move it on under mod_perl as well.
        >
        >This makes me thing that the namespace variables are not being set to a
        >undefined value when a new call to the server is made. Is there something in
        >the SOAP package we should check on to make sure that the namespace is
        >set/reset properly?
        >
        >Any help or direction here could be very helpful.
        >-Chris
        There was a vaguely similar problem described on the Developmentor SOAP list -
        SOAP::Lite server and two different clients:

        http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0112&L=SOAP&P=R2488&m=9106

        If you turn-on tracing on the server you might be able to identify the significant
        difference in the SOAP envelopes sent by the two clients. That might point to where
        a problem might be in SOAP::Lite.

        Regards,
        Duncan Cameron
      • marceusz@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 16, 2002
          Actually I think this exactly describs the condition I was seeing. And has
          given me a perfectly place to start looking ... we've "rolled our own" SOAP
          client for Javascript and aren't exactly up to speed on what may or may not
          be required by the spec
          (http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0112&L=SOAP&D=0&m=9106&
          P=4160 -- link posted for posterity ... cause if I didn't find this
          information someone else might need it too)

          Thank you.

          -Chris
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 18, 2002
            Hi, Chris!

            I wasn't seeing it as a problem with SOAP::Lite, because SOAPAction
            header is mandatory, but it will become optional in SOAP 1.2
            (according to current draft), so I patched SOAP::Lite to tolerate
            absence of SOAPAction header and it should fix the problem. Would you
            like to test the patch? Thanks, Chris.

            Best wishes, Paul.

            http://sports.yahoo.com/
          • marceusz@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 18, 2002
              In a message dated 18-Mar-02 5:40:10 PM GMT Standard Time, paulclinger@... writes:

              Hi, Chris!

              I wasn't seeing it as a problem with SOAP::Lite, because SOAPAction
              header is mandatory, but it will become optional in SOAP 1.2
              (according to current draft), so I patched SOAP::Lite to tolerate
              absence of SOAPAction header and it should fix the problem. Would you
              like to test the patch? Thanks, Chris.

              I would love to. But I may not get a chance until later in the week as our "development" machine was just made a "production" machine hosting the new online demo (gotta love v1.0 beta testing) ... and I need to setup a new development box ... in which I will be trying to get past the expat errors thrown by mod_perl as well.

              -Chris
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 18, 2002
                Hi, Chris!

                > > like to test the patch? Thanks, Chris.
                > I would love to. But I may not get a chance until later in the week
                off-list. Thank you.

                Best wishes, Paul.

                http://sports.yahoo.com/