Re: [soaplite] Segmentation fault after multiple method calls on a remote object

  • Sean.Meisner@VerizonWireless.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 22, 2001
      Hi Paul,
      I run server and client on Sparc boxes using Solaris 2.6, Perl 5.6.0,
      XML::Parser
      version 2.3 . I believe dynamic linking is enabled, would that make a
      difference?

      One difference I've noted is that running the client under a version of Perl
      compiled
      WITH thread support will make the segmentation fault happen after 2 remote
      method
      calls, while running the same code under a version of Perl compiled WITHOUT
      thread
      support will take 7 method calls to crash. I do not use multiple threads in my
      code.

      Thanks in advance for any help,

      Sean

      Paul Kulchenko <paulclinger@...> on 03/21/2001 06:05:16 PM

      Please respond to soaplite@yahoogroups.com

      To: soaplite@yahoogroups.com
      cc: (bcc: Sean Meisner/Great Lakes/AirTouch)
      bcc: Sean Meisner/Great Lakes/AirTouch

      Subject: Re: [soaplite] Segmentation fault after multiple method calls on a
      remote object

      Hi, Sean!

      I'd rather to believe that server could crash (some of the possible
      combinations that could make it are documented), but I never heard
      about such problems on client side. What's your configuration? OS,
      Perl, XML::Parser versions? Dynamic/static linking?

      Object-by-reference shouldn't have ANY impact on client side, because
      all processing is done on server and client just getting id and
      should treat it as usual object. No differences.

      Only advice I have right now is to try run the same client code on
      another machine (better with different configuration), hopefully you
      should be able to do it really quick. Keep me informed on that, maybe
      it's something I should take care of. Thank you.

      Best wishes, Paul.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 22, 2001
        Hi, Sean!

        Probably simpliest way to check it is to run these requests from SOAP
        shell, so you'll know for sure is it something related to SOAP or
        other parts of your application. Try to run:

        perl SOAPsh.pl <URL> <URI/namespace>

        and then
        > your_call(parameters)

        It's not always possible to emulate real application, but you'll be
        able to run several requests and see the results. Hope it'll give you
        some ideas.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 28, 2001
          Hi all,

          You may remember I posted to the SOAP::Lite mailing list last week about
          odd segmentation faults in a client process. Here is what I've discovered:
          In short, version 1.20 of CGI::Carp has an incompatibilty with version 2.30 of
          XML::Parser::Expat.pm . My SOAP::Lite client is a CGI script. CGI::Carp
          overrides the default handler for die. XML::Parser::Expat.pm has a line
          where it is expecting to die in an eval, every time a string is passed to
          its parse() method. The newest CGI::Carp *can't* properly handle the XML
          string it gets passed when XML::Parser::Expat::parse() executes the line that
          generates a die signal.

          That's a convoluted explanation but its as simple as I could make it. So
          the problem I encountered is not really in the SOAP::Lite code, but it could
          potentially affect anyone who wants to use a CGI script as a SOAP::Lite
          *client*,
          and it doesn't cause the process to crash right away, you may be able to make
          a bunch of calls before the process will get a segmentation fault. The
          workaround
          is to use an older version of CGI::Carp (I have 1.14 now, the version causing
          the
          problem is 1.20), OR don't use CGI::Carp in your CGI script at all.

          Cheers,

          Sean Meisner

          Sean.Meisner@... on 03/22/2001 11:07:03 AM

          Please respond to soaplite@yahoogroups.com

          To: soaplite@yahoogroups.com

          To: soaplite@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 28, 2001
            Hi, Sean!

            Though you're right and that's not a problem in SOAP::Lite code,
            would be better to fix it on SOAP::Lite level. Actually fix is simple
            (I faced this problem in couple of other applications and it
            's used in MAILTO module):

            you need to override DIE handler temporarely:

            my $parsed = eval { local $SIG{__DIE__};
            $self->parser->decode(shift) };

            instead of

            my $parsed = $self->parser->decode(shift);

            I'll add it into the code, so next version will be more robast in
            this aspect.

            you may do it on application level also, just warp your client call
            in similar eval:

            eval { local $SIG{__DIE__};
            # you SOAP call is here
            1;
            } or die;

            all die's inside eval will be catched by default (or specified)
            handler and last die (with message from eval) will be catched by
            CGI::Carp, so everything should be fine. Thinking about this second
            solution maybe it's not a good idea to wrap it inside the
            SOAP::Lite's code. I need to think about it. Let me know how it goes.

            Best wishes, Paul.

            --- Sean.Meisner@... wrote:

> [...]
            > > fault on the client side and the script dies. The server is
            > > unaffected by this
            > > error. My on_fault defined subroutine does not get called. Most
            > > baffling is,
            > > this behavior is inconsistent between different sections of the
            > > script.. in one
            > > portion, I may be able to call a method 4 times before it
            > crashes.
            > > In another
            > > section of the script, the same code will crash on the second
            > > method call.
            > > The particular method with which I'm seeing this error simply
            > takes
            > > 2 strings as
            > > parameters, and passes back a string.
            > >
            > > I'm just posting on the odd chance that someone else may have had
            > > this type
            > > of problem before and knows off the top of their head what the

            === message truncated ===

          • Sean.Meisner@VerizonWireless.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 28, 2001
              Hi Paul,
              I'd probably be more inclined to pass this off to the CGI::Carp people, as the
              root
              of the problem seems to me to be the fact that their die handling routine can
              potentially
              mess up fatally when it gets passed a string of XML. This shouldn't be
              happening..
              CGI::Carp itself should be more robust. I'm not sure if there is a mailing list
              for those
              CGI modules? There must be, but I'm not subscribed to it.. perhaps someone here
              could forward this discussion to the appropriate list or bug-report address?

              Cheers,

              Sean Meisner

              Paul Kulchenko <paulclinger@...> on 03/28/2001 10:59:41 AM

              Please respond to soaplite@yahoogroups.com

              To: soaplite@yahoogroups.com

              --- Sean.Meisner@... wrote:

> [...]
              > > fault on the client side and the script dies. The server is
              > > unaffected by this
              > > error. My on_fault defined subroutine does not get called. Most
              > > baffling is,
              > > this behavior is inconsistent between different sections of the
              > > script.. in one
              > > portion, I may be able to call a method 4 times before it
              > crashes.
              > > In another
              > > section of the script, the same code will crash on the second
              > > method call.
              > > The particular method with which I'm seeing this error simply
              > takes
              > > 2 strings as
              > > parameters, and passes back a string.
              > >
              > > I'm just posting on the odd chance that someone else may have had
              > > this type
              > > of problem before and knows off the top of their head what the

              === message truncated ===

            • Duncan Cameron
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 28, 2001
                Sean

                Which version of CGI are you using? Check the CGI web site
                http://stein.cshl.org/WWW/software/CGI/
                which has a list of fixes in each release. In release 2.52 there was a "fix to CGI::Carp so that it doesn't affect eval{} blocks". That might be your problem.

                Otherwise you can report CGI problems to the author, Lincold D Stein, at
                lstein@...

                Regards

                Duncan Cameron

                On 2001-03-28 at 11:19:00, Sean.Meisner <Sean.Meisner@...> wrote concerning 'Re: [soaplite] Segmentation fault after multiple method calls on a remote object':

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 28, 2001
                  Hi Duncan,
                  I have the latest version of CGI, 2.753, that's where the problem is :o)

                  Thanks for the address!!

                  Cheers,

                  Sean Meisner

                  Duncan Cameron <dcameron@...> on 03/28/2001 01:54:19 PM

                  Please respond to soaplite@yahoogroups.com

                  To: "soaplite@yahoogroups.com" <soaplite@yahoogroups.com>

                  On 2001-03-28 at 11:19:00, Sean.Meisner <Sean.Meisner@...> wrote
                  concerning 'Re: [soaplite] Segmentation fault after multiple method calls on a
                  remote object':