SOAP::Lite with mod_perl

  • ekw1
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2002
      Can SOAP::Lite be used with mod_perl without using mod_soap? This is
      running under Apache 1.3.20/mod_perl 1.24/RedHat 7.2 (kernel 2.4.7).

      I have a perl script that runs fine under regular CGI execution.
      When I try to run the same script through mod_perl handled by
      Apache::PerlRun, the log file shows that it segfaults and I don't
      where/how to debug this. As I understand it, Apache::PerlRun can run
      perl CGI scripts without modification.

      Here is the perl script, client.pl:
      ---begin
      #!/usr/bin/perl -w

      use strict;
      use SOAP::Lite;

      print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";
      print SOAP::Lite
      -> uri('http://server/module)
      -> proxy('http://user:pw@server/cgi-bin/script.pl')
      -> func1()
      -> result;
      ---end

      Here is the contents of script.pl:
      ---begin
      #!/usr/bin/perl -w

      use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;

      SOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI
      -> dispatch_to('/dir_to/soapmodules', 'module')
      -> handle;
      ---end

      And finally, here is the soap module itself, module.pm:
      ---begin
      package module;

      sub func1 {
      return "hello";
      }
      1;
      ---end

      Can anyone help me with this? All it does is make a SOAP call that
      returns a string. Under regular CGI execution, it returns "hello" as
      it should. Under mod_perl with Apache::PerlRun handler, it
      segfaults. Thanks for any help.

      Eric
    • Sam Tregar
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 2002
        On Sun, 10 Mar 2002, ekw1 wrote:

        > Can SOAP::Lite be used with mod_perl without using mod_soap? This is
        > running under Apache 1.3.20/mod_perl 1.24/RedHat 7.2 (kernel 2.4.7).

        Yes. I got a PerlHandler using SOAP::Lite running with relative ease.

        > I have a perl script that runs fine under regular CGI execution.
        > When I try to run the same script through mod_perl handled by
        > Apache::PerlRun, the log file shows that it segfaults and I don't
        > where/how to debug this.

        Apache::PerlRun is a bit of a monstrosity. Try with Apache::Registry or
        write a real PerlHandler. I bet that will solve the problem.

        If not, it's gdb time! You'll have to build debugging versions of Apache,
        Perl and mod_perl. Then run your server single-process using "httpd -X"
        under gdb to catch the seg-fault.

        -sam
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 10, 2002
          Hi, ekw1!

          It coule also be problem with Expat and mod_perl. Take a look here:
          http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/CPAN/data/SOAP-Lite/SOAP/Transport/HTTP.html#TROUBLESHOOTING

          To make a quick check, you may disable XML::Parser with:

          use SOAP::Lite;
          $SOAP::Constants::DO_NOT_USE_XML_PARSER = 1;

          on server side. Hope it helps.

          Best wishes, Paul.

          http://mail.yahoo.com/