Re: [soaplite] How to get a response?

  • Tom Mornini
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2002
      On Friday, March 8, 2002, at 12:30 AM, Sam Tregar wrote:

      > On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, tmornini wrote:
      >
      > I'm very curious, however, about which posts get answered,
      > and which don't. Have I missed an important point here, or do
      > the answers actually come completely at random? :-)
      >
      > This is the best treatment of the subject I've ever seen:
      >
      > http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
      >
      > Although it's a bit over-deterministic. There is, of course, a
      > pseudo-random human element as well; sometimes the right person to
      > answer
      > your question just hasn't had the time to read the mailing-list in a few
      > weeks... Sometimes when they get back they skim through the missed
      > messages too fast to realize you never got an answer.

      Thanks, Sam.

      I was trying to politely, and with a bit of humor, get a bit of
      attention.

      I was surprised not to have received a response to some of the good and
      thought provoking questions I asked as my questions usually rocket to
      the top of list moms' most desirable to answer list. :-)

      I felt quite certain that I wasn't being ignored on purpose: while my
      questions themselves might not be the most exciting in the world, a
      patch and an offer to contribute an entire functional module are rarely
      completely ignored! They're typically either 1) thankfully accepted, or
      2) ridiculed, but are rarely 3) completely and silently ignored.

      In addition, another person asked nearly exactly the same question that
      I did, about forcing typed decoding for incoming requests from MS SOAP
      Toolkit 2.0 clients, which further leads me to believe that the
      questions I ask are generally relevant and will eventually be responded
      to. :-)

      --
      -- Tom Mornini
      -- eWingz Systems, Inc.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2002
        Tom,

        For your patch and module contribution, your best bet
        would probably be to send a message directly to Paul.

        paulclinger@...

        Cheers,

        Sean

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Duncan Cameron
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2002
          On 2002-03-08 Tom Mornini wrote:
          >On Friday, March 8, 2002, at 12:30 AM, Sam Tregar wrote:

          --- snipped ---

          >I was trying to politely, and with a bit of humor, get a bit of
          >attention.
          >
          >I was surprised not to have received a response to some of the good and
          >thought provoking questions I asked as my questions usually rocket to
          >the top of list moms' most desirable to answer list. :-)
          >
          >I felt quite certain that I wasn't being ignored on purpose: while my
          >questions themselves might not be the most exciting in the world, a
          >patch and an offer to contribute an entire functional module are rarely
          >completely ignored! They're typically either 1) thankfully accepted, or
          >2) ridiculed, but are rarely 3) completely and silently ignored.
          >
          >In addition, another person asked nearly exactly the same question that
          >I did, about forcing typed decoding for incoming requests from MS SOAP
          >Toolkit 2.0 clients, which further leads me to believe that the
          >questions I ask are generally relevant and will eventually be responded
          >to. :-)
          Tom

          I got the impression that Paul has been 'off-line' recently. In the past
          he has been receptive to patches, so I assume that he's just not looking
          at the list so frequently.

          Regarding your concern about unanswered questions, again often Paul
          is the only one able to give a clear answer. I jump in now and again
          when it's a FAQ or it's something which I feel confident about.

          I guess part of the problem is that SOAP::Lite is pretty much a
          one-man package, and the design and documentation probably
          reflect that.

          Also, re your query about accessing the Transport object from the
          dispatched method, I can't see a way to do that.

          Regards,
          Duncan Cameron
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2002
            Hi, Duncan and Tom!

            > >I was surprised not to have received a response to some of the
            > good and
            > >thought provoking questions I asked as my questions usually rocket
            > to the top of list moms' most desirable to answer list. :-)
            ;) that's true. I'm sorry for that. It's on the list. Duncan is
            correct about 'one-man package' and 'has been off-line recently'. I
            have been doing SOAP::Lite for year and a half on my spare time which
            I don't have much these days. I have a full-time job and can't take
            time off to work on SOAP::Lite (because of my visa status I need to
            work at least 40 hours a week and my current work is not related to
            SOAP::Lite). I was also traveling extensively in February and wasn't
            able to address questions on the maillist.

            What's the best thing to do in this situation? I will be glad to
            share responsibility if someone decides to take on that. I do code
            updates and I don't plan to stop doing it any time soon, but I would
            also like to redesign architecture and would be extremely glad to
            have input on that from someone else. I would like to transfer and
            share my knowledge to accelerate development if possible.

            > >completely ignored! They're typically either 1) thankfully
            > accepted, or
            > >2) ridiculed, but are rarely 3) completely and silently ignored.
            I definitely prefer number 1 ;). It helps a lot when you can use
            someone else's work and I don't hesitate to do that and give credit
            when it's due. I would like to apologize for not being more attentive
            to your questions and requests lately. It won't last for long. And
            thanks a lot, everybody, for your great support and help with this
            project.

            Comments, complains, ideas, suggestions?

            Best wishes, Paul.

            http://mail.yahoo.com/