Re: [soaplite] Re: How to handle big soap attachments ?

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 21 10:32 AM
      Hi, Allie!

      Definitely you're right and that's exactly what I want to do. Some
      but's: first, there could be MIME encoded message that is parsed
      differently, and so relationships between
      Transport-Parser-SOAP-You_module becomes little bit more complicated.
      Second, anyway your module should get parameters somehow and there is
      no way to give it to you without finishing parsing first. Third, I
      cannot dispatch message to you wihout finishing parsing, because XML
      could be wrong, unfinished, etc., so again, I need to finish parsing.
      I soon as I finished parsing I need to keep data somewhere. I'm using
      SAX parser, but RESULT of parsing is stored in memory similar to DOM
      structure ("similar" regarding to consumed memory), and I don't know
      HOW I can avoid it. All that you can save is the memory currently
      used for storing message BEFORE parsing, and it'll work only for
      streaming transports (CGI/STDIO/TCP?) and doesn't work for others
      anyway.

      At the same time it worth doing it, but I was thinking about
      different approach. Keep in memory ONLY XML message, navigate through
      it with quick XPATH component, and provide parameters as tied
      variables, so as soon as you want to get it it'll be founded in
      message and returned to you. memory vs. speed. It'll also make
      implementation significantly more complicated.

      I did some benchmarking recently and if take XML::Parser as 1, then
      XML::Parser with tree style will parse the same message 5 times
      slower and my implementation works about 7-8 time slower, just
      because of memory manipulations. I don't think that it could be
      significantly improved.

      Any other ideas?

      Best wishes, Paul.

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • Petr Janata
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 21 10:54 PM
        Hello,

        I would just like to remark that we had Don Box last week in Prague giving a
        SOAP talk and he said that SOAP is meant to work exactly like this, i.e.
        not to handle large amounts of data. He also said that if you need to do
        that you can e.g. pass just the URL in a SOAP message and use simple
        download (or SAX parser ) to handle the transfer.

        Petr Janata

        I have seen a similar problem with ALL SOAP (and XML-RPC)
        implementations. That is that they do not handle streams at all.
        Every implementation (that I know of) loads the entire HTTP
        request/response into memory (bad idea, what if it's a MPEG movie or
        something), parses it into an in-memory tree, and then hands it off
        for proper dispatch.

        Why do implementations assume that all methods accept 2 simple
        arguments and return 1 simple argument like all of the examples (for
        instance, "getQuote")? The real world is not like that.

        In the real world, there may be many complicated arguments (like a
        file upload) and the response may also be arbitrarily large (e.g., a

      • sebaklu@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 22 3:52 AM
          Hi Petr.

          Since there exists a specification for soap messages with
          attachements it should be possible to send the entire data according
          to the request at once. Why make it complicated with more requests ?
          My problem is that the client could send only data via HTTP and the
          server can receive it only via HTTP. The server themself can't send
          any request for requiered data to the client. Firewalls and security
          rules on both sides make other requests eg. via URLs or FTP
          impossible .
          I think SOAP is a good solution for this problem.

          Sebastian

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 22 8:32 AM
            Hi, Sebastian!

            That's true, but at the same time it's easy to imagine situation when
            you send something not directly, but thru the several different
            intermediaries and each of them will need to handle this huge
            request. If this piece is encoded as external reference then handler
            could be smart enough to get it only if it's required (yet I don't
            know about such smart handlers :)). Ideas, ideas...

            Ideally implementation should be flexible enough to handle both (and
            maybe man others) approaches, maybe with manual hints.

            Best wishes, Paul.

            === message truncated ===

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • allierogers@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 22 8:59 AM
              Paul,

              You make many good points, and I see the issues. Maybe we need to
              decompose the problem into smaller spaces. As I see it, there are 2
              basic issues related to large SOAP RPC calls:

              1. SOAP request where arguments are large

              2. SOAP response where method result is large

              I thought the proper way to handle number 1 was to use the HTTP file
              upload capability where the SOAP argument references the data in the
              HTTP upload or via URL somehow. Maybe I am wrong about this because
              my particular implementations never make use of this feature. I
              realize this is an HTTP-centric approach, but the scalability issues
              really revolve around HTTP implementations and not so much in SMTP
              and FTP where disk rather than RAM storage is the default and
              dispatch and execution threads are not as memory sensitive as HTTP
              (for instance, an SMTP server is only handling one message at a time
              while an HTTP server may be handling 100,000 requests at once).

              For me, number 2 is more important. In this case, the method call is
              simple and its data is relatively small, so how you parse and handle
              the request on the server side is fine as it is. However, the
              response should be streamed in all cases. There is no issue of XML
              parsing on the server side in this case. But, the server should
              assume that the method return could be arbitrarily large, so it
              should not attempt to receive the entire method return before it
              starts passing it back to the client. The server should start, right
              away, streaming back the SOAP envelope, unbuffered, or at least allow
              this as a setting. For SOAP::Lite, you have the problem that you are
              dynamically trying to figure out what types are in the method
              response, rather than through static definition (e.g., a
              configuration file on the server to map method name, namespace, uri,
              arugments, return types, etc.). Without a static configuration,
              there is no way to stream as I would like. Maybe it could be a
              performance option?

              This is how we have solved the problem, here, both for SOAP and XML-
              RPC. However, we use SOAP::Lite servers only for some prototyping.
              In other cases, we have COM-based SOAP/XML-RPC servers (e.g., 4s4c
              from pocketsoap.com) and IIS configured for unbuffered response.

              Regards,

              Allie
            • allierogers@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 22 9:02 AM
                Petr,

                I know Don is an important figure, but I disagree with him. SOAP can
                be used for large data, just as all HTTP servers today handle large
                data. We use it for this purpose here in all of our products and it
                works well. Maybe he did not intend this use of SOAP, but it does
                work. However, SOAP::Lite, currently, can not be used in this way.
                Perhaps that may change.

                Allie

              • sebaklu@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 22 11:01 AM
                  Hi Paul,

                  That's right, but the current version of SOAP::Lite should never
                  expect large requests. The server will give no response and fill out
                  the complete memory on the machine. Since it expect SOAP messages
                  with attachements it should be able to handle large amount of data.

                  However, it works fine with simple requests. But general for
                  handling SOAP messages with attachments (the 7 MB attachment was an
                  example, i had also problems to handle smaller attachments) should
                  use stream mechanism. If not you should not read it into memory but
                  reject the request. Maybe i'm wrong but it is a weak point and DOS
                  attacks may use it.

                  Sebastian

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 22 11:29 AM
                    Hi, Sebastian!

                    Absolutely agree. That's the reason why I want to introduce some
                    additional transport options, like ACCEPTABLE_CONTENT_TYPE (if you
                    want to accept ONLY text/xml or multipart/related) and
                    MAX_CONTENT_SIZE that should take care about it and request will be
                    rejected. As for DOS attack it could be introduced even with small
                    request which has complex XML structure. Anyway, these options should
                    make server side more robust.

                    Best wishes, Paul.