Debug output doesn't show cookies in header

  • Sam Tregar
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 25, 2002
      Hello all. I'm using cookie-based authentication and I'm having a problem
      with the output from

      use SOAP::Lite trace => [qw(debug)];

      When I send a request to the server after logging in I see:

      SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: POST http://localhost/soap
      Accept: text/xml
      Accept: multipart/*
      SOAPAction: "http://bricolage.sourceforge.net/Bric/SOAP/Story#list_ids"

      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

      Which looks like cookies aren't working since there's no cookie header,
      but the server does recieve the cookie! Something must be broken in the
      debug system, I think.

      -sam
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 25, 2002
        Hi, Sam!

        > Which looks like cookies aren't working since there's no cookie
        > header,
        > but the server does recieve the cookie! Something must be broken
        > in the debug system, I think.
        In a way, yes. What you see in debug output is produced by
        HTTP::Request->as_string() method, and doesn't include information
        that will be applied later by LWP::UserAgent (cookie, proxy) or
        LWP::Protocol::* (authentication). You may use tcp/http proxy to get
        real wiredumps, however it's not necessary in most cases.

        Let me know if you disagree and know the way to get real wiredump on
        client side.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        --- Sam Tregar <sam@...> wrote:
        > Hello all. I'm using cookie-based authentication and I'm having a
        > problem
        > with the output from
        >
        > use SOAP::Lite trace => [qw(debug)];
        >
        > When I send a request to the server after logging in I see:
        >
        > SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: POST
        > http://localhost/soap
        > Accept: text/xml
        > Accept: multipart/*
        > SOAPAction:
        > "http://bricolage.sourceforge.net/Bric/SOAP/Story#list_ids"
        >
        > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
        >
        > Which looks like cookies aren't working since there's no cookie
        > header,
        > but the server does recieve the cookie! Something must be broken
        > in the
        > debug system, I think.
        >
        > -sam

        http://auctions.yahoo.com
      • Sam Tregar
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 25, 2002
          On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Paul Kulchenko wrote:

          > In a way, yes. What you see in debug output is produced by
          > HTTP::Request->as_string() method, and doesn't include information
          > that will be applied later by LWP::UserAgent (cookie, proxy) or
          > LWP::Protocol::* (authentication). You may use tcp/http proxy to get
          > real wiredumps, however it's not necessary in most cases.

          Ok. Perhaps we should add a note in the docs about this then. This
          problem actually caused me a good deal of trouble - I thought the cookie
          wasn't being sent to the server when in fact the real bug was in the
          server itself! I was naively sure that when I got the client fixed I
          would see a Cookie: header in the debug output...

          -sam